- •The differential diagnosis for fever of unknown origin is broad.
- •Subtle clues on examination and in the patient history can help to narrow down the differential without extensive workup.
Patients presenting with complaints of prolonged fever may be difficult to evaluate. The differential diagnoses for a pediatric patient with prolonged fever and rash can be broad. This case highlights the case of a 16-year-old adolescent who presented to the emergency department with these symptoms. This article reviews important items in the history and physical examination to consider when narrowing this list of differentials. Diagnostic evaluation, management, and patient and family teaching are reviewed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal for Nurse Practitioners
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Toward new classification criteria for juvenile idiopathic arthritis: first steps, Pediatric Rheumatology International Trials Organization International Consensus.J Rheumatol. 2019; 46: 190 LP-197https://doi.org/10.3899/jrheum.180168
- Pediatric septic arthritis: an update.Orthop Clin North Am. 2019; 50: 461-470https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocl.2019.05.003
- Infective endocarditis in paediatric population.Eur J Pediatr. 2021; 180: 3089-3100https://doi.org/10.1007/s00431-021-04062-7
- Childhood-onset systemic lupus erythematosus: a review and update.J Pediatr. 2018; 196: 22-30.e2https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2018.01.045
- Clinical characteristics of Rocky Mountain spotted fever in the United States: a literature review.J Vector Borne Dis. 2020; 57: 114-120https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-9062.310863
- Cytomegalovirus and Epstein–Barr virus infections.Pediatr Rev. 2016; 37: 223-234https://doi.org/10.1542/pir.2015-0072
- Persistent osteoarticular pain in children: Early clinical and laboratory findings suggestive of acute lymphoblastic leukemia (a multicenter case-control study of 147 patients).Pediatr Rheumatol. 2020; 18: 1-8https://doi.org/10.1186/s12969-019-0376-8
- Evaluation of the presentation of systemic onset juvenile rheumatoid arthritis: data from the Pennsylvania Systemic Onset Juvenile Arthritis Registry (PASOJAR).J Rheumatol. 2008; 35: 343-348
- Adult-onset Still’s disease in focus: clinical manifestations, diagnosis, treatment, and unmet needs in the era of targeted therapies.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2021; 51: 858-874https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semarthrit.2021.06.004
- The Childhood Arthritis and Rheumatology Research Alliance Consensus treatment plans: toward comparative effectiveness in the pediatric rheumatic diseases.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2018; 70: 669-678https://doi.org/10.1002/art.40395
- Consensus treatment plans for new-onset systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis.Arthritis Care Res. 2012; 64: 1001-1010https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.21625
- Systemic onset juvenile idiopathic arthritis.https://www.arthritis.org/diseases/systemic-juvenile-idiopathic-arthritis#:∼:text=Systemic%20JIA%20is%20a%20rare,juvenile%20idiopathic%20arthritis%20(SJIADate accessed: September 1, 2022
Anna Richmond, DNP, FNP-C, PNP-C, is an assistant professor at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing and a nurse practitioner at Monroe Carrell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt Department of Pediatric Rheumatology; she can be contacted at [email protected]
Brittany Nelson, DNP, PNP-PC, is an assistant professor at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing and a nurse practitioner at Monroe Carrell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt Department of Pediatric Rheumatology.
Published online: February 02, 2023
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.