- •Despite the implementation of a large number of therapeutic education programs, the rate of emergency department patients who are referred to these programs is low (31.6%).
- •The 2 barriers to receiving a referral to a patient education program were being followed-up outside the city of Paris (France) and exclusive outpatient care performed by a general practitioner alone.
- •Approximately one third of patients wanted access to an education program whether in the emergency department, primary care center, or hospital.
- •Patients were particularly interested in flexible format education programs, such as telehealth or online programs.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal for Nurse Practitioners
- Le Poids du Diabète en France en 2016. Synthèse Épidémiologique.Santé Publique France, 2018: 8
Santé Publique France. Asthme. Accessed October 21, 2021. https://www.santepubliquefrance.fr/maladies-et-traumatismes/maladies-et-infections-respiratoires/asthme
Santé Publique France. Insuffisance cardiaque. Accessed November 19, 2021. https://www.santepubliquefrance.fr/maladies-et-traumatismes/maladies-cardiovasculaires-et-accident-vasculaire-cerebral/insuffisance-cardiaque
- leading causes of DALYs.https://www.who.int/data/gho/data/themes/mortality-and-global-health-estimates/global-health-estimates-leading-causes-of-dalysDate accessed: June 21, 2022
- Failure to take prescribed medicine for chronic diseases is a massive world-wide problem.J Adv Nurs. 2004; 45: 447
- Améliorer l’observance. 2014; : 16
Expert Panel Working Group of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) administered and coordinated National Asthma Education and Prevention Program Coordinating Committee (NAEPPCC), Cloutier MM, Baptist AP, et al. 2020 focused updates to the asthma management guidelines: a report from the National Asthma Education and Prevention Program Coordinating Committee Expert Panel Working Group. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2020;146(6):1217-1270.
- 2021 ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure.Eur Heart J. 2021; 42: 3599-3726
- 2019 ESC guidelines on diabetes, pre-diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases developed in collaboration with the EASD.Eur Heart J. 2020; 41: 255-323
- Évaluation des effets d’une intervention infirmière sur l’adhésion thérapeutique des personnes diabétiques de type 2.Rech Soins Infirm. 2019; 136: 28-42
- The patient-centered medical home: a review of recent research.Med Care Res Rev. 2012; 69: 619-644
- Effectiveness of group-based self-management education for individuals with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review with meta-analyses and meta-regression.Diabet Med. 2017; 34: 1027-1039
- The effect of nurse-led education on hospitalisation, readmission, quality of life and cost in adults with heart failure. A systematic review.Patient Educ Couns. 2018; 101: 363-374
- A concept analysis of patient-centered care.Nurs Forum. 2013; 48: 89-98
- n° 2009-879 du 21 juillet 2009 portant réforme de l’hôpital et relative aux patients, à la santé et aux territoires.https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/article_jo/JORFARTI000020879791Date accessed: June 21, 2022
- ENTRED 2007: results of a French national survey on self-management education to people with diabetes... still a long way to go.Educ Ther Patient/Ther Patient Educ. 2014; 610102
- Patient education in the emergency department: take advantage of the teachable moment.Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 2020; 25: 511-517
- Patient education in the emergency department: a systematic review of interventions and outcomes.Adv Emerg Nurs J. 2008; 30: 34-49
- Frequent emergency department visitors are frequent primary care visitors and report unmet primary care needs.J Eval Clin Pract. 2017; 23: 567-573
Laboratoire Education et Pratiques de Santé. Carte’EP Ile de France. Répertoire des programmes éducation thérapeutique du patient IDF. Accessed November 22, 2021. http://educationtherapeutique-idf.org/_front/Pages/page.php?page=1
- Therapeutic patient education: continuing education programmes for health care providers in the field of prevention of chronic diseases: report of a WHO working group.https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/108151Date accessed: July 12, 2022
- Type 2 diabetes patient education in Reunion Island: perceptions and needs of professionals in advance of the initiation of a primary care management network.Diabetes Metab. 2008; 34: 375-381
- L’éducation thérapeutique: entre savoirs complexes, formateurs, apprenants hétérogènes et contextes pluriels.Rech Soins Infirm. 2012; 110: 45-59
- Normalisation process theory: a framework for developing, evaluating and implementing complex interventions.BMC Med. 2010; 8: 63
- Advances in development and evaluation of asthma education programs.Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2005; 11: 61-68
- Investigation of the effect of web-based education on self-care management and family support in women with type 2 diabetes.J Nurse Pract. 2022; 18: 867-871
- A nurse practitioner–led, computer-based diabetes education intervention implemented for quality improvement in primary care.J Nurse Pract. 2016; 12e363-e366
- Care or not care--that is the question: predictors of healthcare utilisation in relation to employment status.Int J Behav Med. 2012; 19: 29-38
- Évaluation quadriennale des programmes d’ETP en Île-de-France: un moyen de pilotage régional.Educ Ther Patient/Ther Patient Educ. 2018; 1020205
- Pratiques d’orientation vers l’infirmière d’éducation thérapeutique: étude qualitative auprès de médecins généralistes et de patients d’une maison de santé en Lorraine.Rech Soins Infirm. 2021; 146: 74-94
- Implementation of an asthma self-management education guideline in the emergency department: a feasibility study.Adv Emerg Nurs J. 2018; 40: 45-58
- Public health education by emergency nurses: a scoping review and narrative synthesis.Patient Educ Couns. 2022; 105: 1181-1187
- Patient and family education in the emergency department: how nurses can help.J Emerg Nurs. 2012; 38: 293-295
- Developing an advanced nurse practitioner service in emergency care: attitudes of nurses and doctors.J Adv Nurs. 2006; 56: 292-301
- Successful patient diabetes education in the emergency department.Diabetes Educ. 2015; 41: 343-350
- The role of the asthma nurse in treatment compliance and self-management following hospital admission.Respir Med. 2001; 95: 851-856
- Standard versus patient-centred asthma education in the emergency department: a randomised study.Eur Respir J. 2008; 31: 990-997
- Heart failure education in the emergency department markedly reduces readmissions in un- and under-insured patients.Am J Emerg Med. 2018; 36: 2166-2171
- Les personnes agées aux urgences: une patientèle au profil particulier.DREES. 2017; 1007: 1-6
- Prévalence de l’asthme chez l’adulte en France, données de la cohorte Constances.Rev Mal Respir. 2021; 38: 797-806
- French annual national observational study of 2015 outpatient and inpatient healthcare utilization by approximately half a million patients with previous heart failure diagnosis.Arch Cardiovasc Dis. 2021; 114: 17-32