- •Obesity is a complex disease that contributes to many serious health conditions.
- •Primary care nurse practitioners play an important role in treating obesity.
- •A case study discussing obesity and associated endocrine comorbidities is presented.
- •Obesity-related endocrinopathies include polycystic ovary syndrome, hypothyroidism, metabolic syndrome, diabetes mellitus, and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Obesity algorithm eBook.Obesity Medicine Association. 2021;
- Obesity and overweight.https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/obesity-and-overweight#:∼:text=Worldwide%20obesity%20has%20nearly%20tripled%20since%201975.%20In,overweight.%20Of%20these%20over%20650%20million%20were%20obeseDate: 2021
- Adult obesity.
- Public health: Recognition of obesity as a disease H-440.842.https://policysearch.ama-assn.org/policyfinder/detail/obesity?uri=%2FAMADoc%2FHOD.xml-0-3858.xmlDate: 2013
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and American College of Endocrinology comprehensive clinical practice guidelines for medical care of patients with obesity.Endocrine Pract. 2016; 22: 1-205
- Defining adult overweight and obesity.https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/basics/adult-defining.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fobesity%2Fadult%2Findex.htmlDate: 2022
- Best practices in the management of overweight and obesity.Med Clin North Am. 2021; 105: 149-174https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcna.2020.08.-18
- Mechanisms, pathophysiology, and management of obesity.New Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 254-266https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1514009
- Obesity—an update on the basic pathophysiology and review of recent therapeutic advances.Biomolecules. 2021; 11: 1426https://doi.org/10.3390/biom11101426
- Long-term persistence of hormonal adaptations to weight loss.New Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 1597-1604
- The National Cholesterol Education Program—Adult Treatment Panel III, International Diabetes Federation, and World Health Organization definitions of the metabolic syndrome as predictors of incident cardiovascular disease and diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 8-13https://doi.org/10.2337/dc06-1414
- Hypothyroidism and obesity: an intriguing link.Ind J Endocrinol Metabol. 2016; 20: 554-557https://doi.org/10.4103/2230-8210.183454
- Assessment and management: primary hypothyroidism in women.Women’s Healthc. 2021;
- Diagnosis and treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline.J Clin Endocrinol. 2013; 98: 4565-4592https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2013-2350
- Benefit of delayed fertility therapy with preconception weight loss over immediate therapy in obese women with PCOS.J Clin Endocrinol. 2016; 101: 2658-2666https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2016-1659
- Clinical epidemiology and disease burden of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.World J Gastroenterol. 2017; 23: 8263-8276https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v23.i47.8263
- Endocrine causes of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.World J Gastroenterol. 2015; 21: 11053-11076https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v21.i39.11053
- A comprehensive diagnostic approach to detect underlying causes of obesity in adults.Obesity Rev. 2019; 20: 795-804https://doi.org/10.1111/obr.12836
- Rare genetic forms of obesity: clinical approach and current treatments in 2016.Obesity Facts. 2016; 9: 158-173https://doi.org/10.1159/000445061
- Obesity 2021: Current clinical management of a chronic, serious disease.J Fam Pract. 2021; 70: S35-40https://doi.org/10.12788/jfp.0221
- Improving effective weight management in a university health center.J Nurse Pract. 2021; 17: 1183-1188https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2021.09.023
- Obesity: pathophysiology and management.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 71: 69-84https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2017.11.011
- Drugs and devices for weight management.Med Lett Drugs Ther. 2022; 64: 81-88
- Get the facts: Sugar-sweetened beverages and consumption.
- Dietary intervention for obesity: clinical and mechanistic findings.J Clin Invest. 2021; 131: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI140065
- Intermittent fasting interventions for treatment of overweight and obesity in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep. 2018; : 507-547https://doi.org/10.11124/JBISRIS-2016-003248
- The science of obesity management: An endocrine society scientific statement.Endocrine Reviews. 2018; 39: 79-132https://doi.org/10.1210/er.2017-00253
- Alternative scoring models of STOP-Bang Questionnaire improve specficity to detect undiagnosed obstructive sleep apnea.J Clin Sleep Med. 2014; 10https://doi.org/10.5664/jcsm.4022
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: common questions and answers on diagnosis and management.Am Fam Physician. 2020; 102: 603-612https://www.proquest.com/scholarly-journals/nonalcoholic-fatty-liver-disease-common-questions/docview/2476628031/se-2
American Association of Nurse Practitioners. Obesity management fundamentals: essential clinical tools. https://storage.aanp.org/www/documents/education/obesity/Obesity-Mgmt_Resource-Tool_print.pdf
- Next generation antiobesity medications: setmelanotide, semaglutide, tirzepatide and bimagrumab: What do they mean for clinical practice?.J Obes Metab Syndr. 2021; 30: 196-208https://doi.org/10.7570/jomes21033