- •Use of psychedelic drugs, including 3,4 methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA; aka “Ecstasy” or “Molly”) is increasing as emerging research suggests they may be effective treatments for mental health concerns, including depression, anxiety, posttraumatic stress disorder, and addiction
- •Hyponatremia is a rare adverse effect of MDMA use.
- •Hyponatremia may have serious complications if not treated quickly and appropriately. Treatment differs depending on cause, symptoms, and severity.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Psychedelic-assisted therapy: emerging treatments in mental health disorders.Am J Nurs. 2021; 121: 34-40
- Breakthrough for trauma treatment: safety and efficacy of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy compared to paroxetine and sertraline.Front Psychiatry. 2019; 10: 650
- Synthesizing the evidence for ketamine and esketamine in treatment-resistant depression: an international expert opinion on the available evidence and implementation.Am J Psychiatry. 2021; 178: 383-399
- Over 30 million psychedelic users in the United States.F1000Res. 2013; 2: 98https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.2-98.v1
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. Marijuana and hallucinogen use among young adults reached all time-high in 2021.(August 22)https://nida.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/2022/08/marijuana-and-hallucinogen-use-among-young-adults-reached-all-time-high-in-2021Date: 2022Date accessed: August 24, 2022
- Ceremonial "plant medicine" use and its relationship to recreational drug use: an exploratory study.Addict Res Theory. 2019; 27: 68-75
- The abuse potential of medical psilocybin according to the 8 factors of the Controlled Substances Act.Neuropharmacology. 2018; 142: 143-166
- Adverse experiences resulting in emergency medical treatment seeking following the use of magic mushrooms.J Psychopharmacol. 2022; 36: 965-973https://doi.org/10.1177/02698811221084063
- Experienced drug users assess the relative harms and benefits of drugs: a web-based survey.J Psychoactive Drugs. 2013; 45: 322-328
- Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs. Drug harms in the UK: a multicriteria decision analysis.Lancet. 2010; 376: 1558-1565
- Swollen lips after a night of partying-an allergic reaction to Ecstasy?.J Forensic Sci. 2019; 64: 1281-1282
- Too hot to handle: a case report of extreme pyrexia after MDMA ingestion.Ther Hypothermia Temp Manag. 2018; 8: 173-175
- Protracted hyperthermia and delayed rhabdomyolysis in ecstasy toxicity: a case report.Medicine (Baltimore). 2020; 99e21842
- SIADH and water intoxication related to ecstasy.BMJ Case Rep. 2018; 2018bcr2018224731
- National Institute of Mental Health. Psychedelics as Therapeutics: Gaps, Challenges and Opportunities.(January 12–13)https://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/events/2022/psychedelics-as-therapeutics-gaps-challenges-and-opportunitiesDate: 2022Date accessed: August 22, 2022
- Hyponatremia and mortality: moving beyond associations.Am J Kidney Dis. 2013; 62: 139-149
- Causes of hypotonic hyponatremia in adults. UpToDate.https://www.uptodate.com/contents/causes-of-hypotonic-hyponatremia-in-adults?search=hyponatremia&source=search_result&selectedTitle=5∼150&usage_type=default&display_rank=3Date accessed: July 7, 2022
- Diagnosis and treatment of hyponatremia: compilation of the guidelines.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017; 28: 1340-1349
- Hyponatremia.(Updated January 31, 2022. StatPearls. StatPearls Publishing)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK470386/#:∼:text=Hypotonic%20hyponatremia%20represents%20an%20excess,capacity%20to%20excrete%20free%20waterDate: 2022Date accessed: July 7, 2022
- MDMA (ecstasy) intoxication.(Updated March 3, 2022. UpToDate)https://www.uptodate.com/contents/mdma-ecstasy-intoxication?search=hyponatremia%20differential%20diagnosis&source=search_result&selectedTitle=5∼150&usage_type=default&display_rank=4Date accessed: July 7, 2022
- Ecstacy-associated hyponatremia: why are women at risk?.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2013; 28: 2206-2209https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gft192
- Salt and water: a simple approach to hyponatremia.CMAJ. 2004; 170 (Published correction appears in CMAJ. 2004;170(6):931): 365-369
- Hyponatremia: a practical approach.Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2014; 18: 760-771https://doi.org/10.4103/2230-8210.141320
- Mild chronic hyponatremia in the ambulatory setting: significance and management.Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015; 10: 2268-2278
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.