- •Advanced practice nurses (APNs) in Korea began as special-field nurses in the 1970s.
- •Master’s degree education and certification of APN followed in the early 2000s.
- •The number of certified APNs has increased; yet, APN use continues to be low.
- •The lack of clarity regarding the scope of practice and reimbursement is problematic.
- •To maximize APN use in Korea, government efforts are required.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Current status and vitalizing strategies of advanced practice nurses in Korea.Perspect Nurs Sci. 2017; 14: 37-44https://doi.org/10.16952/pns.2017.14.1.37
- Historical review of modern public health nursing.J Agric Med Community Health. 2018; 43: 114-124https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2018.43.2.114
- Medical Service Act.https://www.law.go.kr/LSW/eng/engLsSc.do?menuId=2&query=MEDICAL%20SERVICE%20ACT#liBgcolor30Date: 2020Date accessed: December 15, 2021
- Rule of the Advanced Practice Nurses’ Qualification.(April 2022)https://www.law.go.kr/lumLsLinkPop.do?lspttninfSeq=61761&chrClsCd=010202Date: 2022Date accessed: April 20, 2022
- Regulating health professional scopes of practice: comparing institutional arrangements and approaches in the US, Canada, Australia and the UK.Hum Resour Health. 2021; 19: 15https://doi.org/10.1186/s12960-020-00550-3
- Modernizing scope-of-practice regulations—time to prioritize patients.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 591-593https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1911077
- A study on the status and survey of Korean advanced practice nurses.https://www.koreanurse.or.kr/board/board_read.php?board_id=research&member_id=admin&exec=&no=16&category_no=&step=0&tag=&sgroup=15&sfloat=&position=5&mode=&find=&search=;2014Date accessed: December 10, 2021
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education News.Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education, 2021
- Health and Welfare Statistical Year Book 2020.Korean Ministry of Health Welfare, 2021
- Study on systematization of advanced practice nursing in Korea.J Korean Clin Nurs Res. 2020; 26: 240-253https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2020.26.2.240
- Global emergence of nurse practitioner/advanced practice nursing roles.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2018; 30: 182-184https://doi.org/10.1097/JXX.0000000000000029
- Advanced practice nursing roles, regulation, education, and practice: a global study.Ann Glob Health. 2022; 88: 42https://doi.org/10.5334/aogh.3698
Maie CB, Aiken LH, Busse R. Nurses in advanced roles in primary care: policy levers for implementation. OECD Health Working Papers, No. 98; Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Publishing. https://dx.doi.org/10.1787/a8756593-en
- A study on legal coherence of legislations related to nursing services: focusing on registered nurse, midwife, advanced practice nurse and nurse assistant.Health Social Welfare Rev. 2018; 38: 420-457https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2018.38.3.420
- Competitive effects of scope of practice restrictions: public health or public harm?.J Health Econ. 2017; 55: 201-218https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhealec0.2017.07.004
- Nurse practitioner independence, health care utilization, and health outcomes.J Health Econ. 2018; 58: 90-109https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhealec0.2018.01.001
- Full scope-of-practice regulation is associated with higher supply of nurse practitioners in rural and primary care health professional shortage counties.J Nurs Regul. 2018; 8: 5-13https://doi.org/10.1016/S2155-8256(17)30176-X
- Common scope of practice for advanced practice nurses in Korea derived from expert agreement.J Korean Crit Care Nurs. 2019; 12: 35-49https://doi.org/10.34250/jkccn.2019.12.3.35
- Unmet healthcare needs status and trend of south Korea in 2020.HPM. 2022; 30: 237-243https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2022.32.2.237
- Nurses in advanced roles as a strategy for equitable access to healthcare in the WHO Western Pacific region: a mixed methods study.Hum Resour Health. 2021; 19: 19https://doi.org/10.1186/s12960-021-00555-6
- Public’s perception on reimbursement for advanced practice nurses’ education and counseling in intensive care units by the national health insurance.J Korean Crit Care Nurs. 2018; 11: 95-107
- Establishment of healthcare delivery system though improvement of health insurance system.Health Policy and Management. 2019; 29: 248-261https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2019.29.3.248
- Improvement of infection control system in long-term care facilities after the coronavirus disease outbreak.Korean J Occup Health Nurs. 2020; 29: 202-207https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2020.29.3.202
- Global health workforce shortage to reach 12.9 million in coming decades.(November 11)https://apps.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2013/health-workforce-shortage/en/index.htmlDate: 2013Date accessed: September 15, 2022
- Value of nurse practitioner inpatient hospital staffing.Med Care. 2021; 59: 857-863https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000001628
- Experience of healthcare providers in the advanced practice nurse system.J Korean Crit Care Nurs. 2021; 14: 42-56https://doi.org/10.34250/jkccn.2021.14.2.42
- Developing and sustaining specialist and advanced practice roles in nursing and midwifery: a discourse on enablers and barriers.J Clin Nurs. 2018; 27: 3797-3809
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.