- •Advanced practice providers assume the responsibility for prior authorization.
- •Prior authorizations can be tedious and burdensome to navigate.
- •Prior authorizations have inconsistent intended outcomes for patients and providers.
- •Fewer prior authorizations can improve practice efficiency and patient outcomes.
Advanced practice providers increasingly assume responsibility for prior authorizations (PAs). We hypothesized that the time burden of PAs will be correlated with increased approval. We collected several variables (ie, type, method, time spent, use of peer to peer, and outcome) for all PAs completed by a departmental nurse practitioner in 1 region. Chi-square tests and 2 sample t tests were used to assess significance. There was no significant association between the method of request, the number of attempts, and the time spent to approved PA. Further research is needed to determine ways to decrease the time and opportunity cost associated with PAs.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal for Nurse Practitioners
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Refocusing medication prior authorization on its intended purpose.JAMA. 2020; 323: 703-704
- The price of prior authorization.Urol Nurs. 2015; 35: 109-110
- Prior authorization is a major practice burden. How do you compare?.https://www.ama-assn.org/practice-management/prior-authorization/prior-authorization-major-practice-burden-how-do-youDate: 2018Date accessed: March 6, 2022
- Prior authorization reform remains a top priority for urology community.https://www.urologytimes.com/view/panel-to-discuss-telehealth-at-aacu-annual-meetingDate: 2021Date accessed: March 6, 2022
- Prior authorization: problems and solutions.JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2020; 6: 747-750
- AMA adopts new policies to rein in prior authorization burdens.https://www.ama-assn.org/press-center/press-releases/ama-adopts-new-policies-rein-prior-authorization-burdensDate: 2021
- What does it cost physician practices to interact with health insurance plans?.Health Aff (Millwood). 2009; 28: w533-w543
- Prior authorization: overwhelming burden and critical need for reform.JACC Case Rep. 2020; 2: 1466-1469
- Health opportunity costs: assessing the implications of uncertainty using elicitation methods with experts.Med Decis Making. 2020; 40: 448-459
- Administrative burden and costs of prior authorizations in a dermatology department.JAMA Dermatol. 2020; 156: 1074-1078
- Occupational employment and wage statistics.
- How much revenue does a primary care nurse practitioner generate?.https://www.bartonassociates.com/blog/how-much-revenue-does-a-primary-care-nurse-practitioner-generateDate: 2021Date accessed: May 30, 2022
Vinayak Madhusoodanan, MD, is a Urology Resident at Desai Sethi Urology Institute, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami in Miami, FL.
Libert Ramos, DNP, is a Advanced Practicing Registered Nurse at Desai Sethi Urology Institute, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami.
Isaac J. Zucker, MS, is a Medicine Student at Desai Sethi Urology Institute, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami and the Herbert Wertheim School of Medicine, Florida International University in Miami, FL.
Aditya Sathe, BS, is a Medical Student at the College of Medicine, University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis, TN.
Ranjith Ramassamy, MD, is the director of Male Reproductive Medicine at the Department of Urology, University of Miami and can be contacted at [email protected]
Published online: November 10, 2022
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.