- •Obesity has reached epidemic proportions globally.
- •Those who follow a ketogenic diet do lose weight successfully.
- •Primary care management of obesity has been poor.
- •Nurse practitioners have successful outcomes in chronic disease management.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Obesity treatment by very-low-calorie-ketogenic diet at two years: reduction in visceral fat and on the burden of disease.Endocrine. 2016; 54: 681-690
- F as in Fat: How Obesity Threatens America’s Future.https://www.tfah.org/report-details/f-as-in-fat-how-obesity-threatens-americas-future-2012/Date: 2012Date accessed: May 2, 2022
- Direct medical costs of obesity in the United States and the most populous states.J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2021; 27: 354-356https://doi.org/10.18553/jmcp.2021.20410
- State Health Facts: Adults Who Are Obese by Race/Ethnicity. Timeframe.https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/adult-overweightobesity-rate-by-re/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D.2018Date: 2021Date accessed: May 2, 2022
- Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011-2012.JAMA. 2014; 311: 806-814https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2014.732
- Adult Obesity Facts.https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.htmlDate accessed: May 18, 2022
- The incidence of co-morbidities related to obesity and overweight: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Public Health. 2009; 9: 88https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-9-88
- Economic burden of obesity: a systematic literature review.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017; 14: 435https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph14040435
- The role of physicians in promoting weight loss.Econ Human Biol. 2015; 17: 104-115https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ehb.2014.12.003
- Managing obesity in adults in primary care.CMAJ. 2012; 184: 1039-1044https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.111640
- The impact of physician weight discussion on weight loss in US adults.Obes Res Clin Pract. 2014; 8: e131-e139https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orcp.2013.03.003
- What’s the Difference Between Low Carb and Keto?.https://ketogenic.com/overview/difference-low-carb-ketogenic-diet/Date accessed: May 18, 2022
- Ketogenic Diet: Which Patients Benefit? March 20.https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/894041Date: 2018Date accessed: May 18, 2022
- Causes of Obesity.https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/adult/causes.htmlDate accessed: May 18, 2022
- Middle and long-term impact of a very low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet on cardiometabolic factors: a multi-center, cross-sectional, clinical study.High Blood Press Cardiovasc Prev. 2015; 22: 389-394https://doi.org/10.1007/s40292-015-0096-1
- The effect of a low carbohydrate, ketogenic diet versus a low-glycemic index diet on glycemic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus.Nutr Metab (Lond). 2008; 5: 36https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-7075-5-36
- The quality and effectiveness of care provided by nurse practitioners.J Nurse Pract. 2013; 9: 492-500.e13https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2013.07.004
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine 2021. The Future of Nursing 2020-2030:Charting a Path to Achieve Health Equity. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/25982
- Resting metabolic rate of obese patients under very low-calorie ketogenic diet.Nutr Metab (Lond). 2018; 15: 18https://doi.org/10.1186/s12986-018-0249-z
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.