- •More patients are hospitalized for heart failure than from all cancers combined.
- •About 50% of patients diagnosed with heart failure die within 5 years.
- •There is a paradigm shift to implement palliative care sooner in heart failure care.
- •Palliative care for heart failure improves symptom management and quality of life.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Roadmap for heart failure: informing health systems approaches to heart failure by prioritizing practical, proven, cost-effective action.https://www.world-heart-federation.org/cvd-roadmaps/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2019/10/WHF-Heart-Failure-Roadmap-Summary-Document.pdfDate: June 2019Date accessed: May 5, 2022
- World Health Federation roadmap for heart failure.Global Heart. 2019; 14: 197-214
- Heart failure.(Updated September 8)https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/heart_failure.htmDate: 2020Date accessed: May 8, 2022
- Premature cardiovascular mortality in the United States: who will protect the most vulnerable among us?.Circulation. 2021; 144: 1280-1283
- Annual heart failure costs in the US could surpass $70B by 2030.(January 25)https://www.cardiovascularbusiness.com/topics/clinical/heart-failure/annual-heart-failure-costs-us-could-surpass-70b-2030Date: 2022Date accessed: May 1, 2022
- What is heart failure? Updated March 24.https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/heart-failureDate: 2022Date accessed: March 30, 2022
- Age-adjusted death rates from heart disease among adults aged 45–64 years by urbanization level and sex. National Vital Statistics System, United States, 2019.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021; 70: 1621https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm7046a8
- Heart failure population health considerations.Am J Manag Care. 2022; 27: S191-S195https://doi.org/10.37765/ajmc.2021.88673
- Guideline updates in heart failure: expert breakdown of key takeaways.(May 17)https://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/974067Date: 2022Date accessed: May 18, 2022
- Mayo Clinic. Heart failure.https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-failure/symptoms-causes/syc-20373142?p=1Date: 2022Date accessed: May 10, 2022
- 2022 AHA/ACC/HFSA guidelines for the management of heart failure: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Joint Committee on Clinical Practice Guidelines.Circulation. 2022; 145: e895-e1032
- Palliative care.https://www.who.int/health-topics/palliative-careDate: 2020Date accessed: May 8, 2022
- Assessing the development of palliative care worldwide: a set of actionable indicators.https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789240033351Date: 2021Date accessed: May 10, 2022
- American Academy of Nursing Expert Panel consensus statement on nursing's roles in ensuring universal palliative care access.Nurs Outlook. 2021; 69: 961-968https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2021.06.011
- Engineering and Medicine. Integrating Serious Illness into Primary Care Delivery: Proceedings of a Workshop.The National Academies Press, 2022
- A systematic review of medical costs associated with heart failure in the USA (2014–2020).Pharmacoeconomics. 2020; 38: 1219-1236https://doi.org/10.1007/s40273-020-00952-0
- Palliative care in heart failure.Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2018; 28: 445-450https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tcm.2018.02.008
- Palliative care issues for patients with heart failure.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e200011https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.0011
- Congestive heart failure imaging.(Updated March 16, Medscape)https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/354666-overviewDate: 2018Date accessed: May 10, 2022
- Universal definition, and classification of heart failure: a step in the right direction. American College of Cardiology.https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2021/07/12/12/31/universal-definition-and-classification-of-heart-failureDate: 2021
- Cardiovascular disease.in: Kuebler K. Integration of Palliative Care in Chronic Conditions: An Interdisciplinary Approach. Oncology Nursing Society, 2017: 125-140
- Palliative care interventions for patients with heart failure: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Palliat Med. 2017; 20: 84-92https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2016.0330
- Systematic review and network meta-analysis of pharmacological treatment of heart failure with reduced ejection fraction.JACC Heart Fail. 2022; 10: 73-84https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchf.2021.09.004
- FDA warns about serious risks and death when combining opioid pain or cough medicines with benzodiazepines; requires its strongest warning.(Updated January 19)https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.121.056658Date: 2022Date accessed: May 10, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the author reports no relationships with business or industry that may pose a conflict of interest.