- •Older adults are at higher risk for small bowel bleeding due to angiodysplasias, which can result in hemodynamically significant presentations.
- •Although only 5% of gastrointestinal bleeding arises from the small bowel, it is the most common source of occult bleeding.
- •In older adults, small bowel ulcers, vascular abnormalities, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug–induced enteropathy are the most prevalent causes of bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract.
- •Chronic renal failure, aortic stenosis, chronic conditions of the respiratory system, use of warfarin, venous thromboembolism, and female gender have all become recognized risk factors for the increased incidence of small bowel angiodysplasias.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Usefulness of CT angiography in diagnosing acute gastrointestinal bleeding: a meta-analysis.World J Gastroenterol. 2010; 16: 3957-3963https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v16.i31.3957
- Gastrointestinal tract disorders in older age.Can J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019; 20196757524https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/6757524
- Upper gastrointestinal bleeding: etiologies and management.Mayo Clin Proc. 2019; 94: 697-703https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2019.01.022
- Etiological and endoscopic profile of middle aged and elderly patients with upper gastrointestinal bleeding in a tertiary care hospital in north India: a retrospective analysis.J Midlife Health. 2017; 8: 137-141https://doi.org/10.4103/jmh.JMH_86_17
- Temporal trends and demographic variations in hospitalizations with angiodysplasia of the intestine: a U.S. population based study.Electron J Gen Med. 2018; 15em80https://doi.org/10.29333/ejgm/94010
- Gastrointestinal bleeding in patients on novel oral anticoagulants: risk, prevention and management.World J Gastroenterol. 2017; 23: 1954-1963https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v23.i11.1954
- Capsule endoscopy examination identifies different leading causes of obscure gastrointestinal bleeding in patients of different ages.Turk J Gastroenterol. 2012; 23: 220-225https://doi.org/10.4318/tjg.2012.0338
- ACG clinical guideline: diagnosis and management of small bowel bleeding.Am J Gastroenterol. 2015; 110: 1265-1288https://doi.org/10.1038/ajg.2015.246
- The role of endoscopy in the management of suspected small-bowel bleeding.Gastrointest Endosc. 2017; 85: 22-31https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2016.06.013
- The role of endoscopy in the management of acute non-variceal upper GI bleeding.Gastrointest Endosc. 2012; 75: 1132-1138https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2012.02.033
- Diagnostic yield of capsule endoscopy in a tertiary hospital in patients with obscure gastrointestinal bleeding.J Gastrointestin Liver Dis. 2010; 19: 141-145
- Incidence of bleeding lesions within reach of conventional upper and lower endoscopes in patients undergoing double-balloon enteroscopy for obscure gastrointestinal bleeding.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2009; 29: 342-349https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2008.03888.x
- CT-enterography may identify small bowel tumors not detected by capsule endoscopy: eight years experience at Mayo Clinic Rochester.Dig Dis Sci. 2011; 56: 2914-2919https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-011-1773-0
- Long-acting somatostatin analogues decrease blood transfusion requirements in patients with refractory gastrointestinal bleeding associated with angiodysplasia.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2012; 36: 587-593https://doi.org/10.1111/apt.12000
- Efficacy of thalidomide for refractory gastrointestinal bleeding from vascular malformation.Gastroenterology. 2011; 141 (e374): 1629-1637https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2011.07.018
- Risk of upper gastrointestinal bleeding with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors with or without concurrent nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory use: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Gastroenterol. 2014; 109: 811-819https://doi.org/10.1038/ajg.2014.82
- Meta-analysis: gastrointestinal bleeding due to interaction between selective serotonin uptake inhibitors and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2008; 27: 31-40https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2007.03541.x
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.