- •Cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia is recommended by guidelines as the initial treatment for chronic insomnia.
- •Primary treatment of insomnia varies, with medications remaining the primary treatment modality.
- •A pilot program for insomnia management in primary care can improve guideline-driven treatment and Insomnia Severity Index scores.
- •An insomnia management program used a mobile phone app to provide education and self-guided cognitive behavioral therapy for chronic insomnia to improve Insomnia Severity Index scores.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal for Nurse Practitioners
- The effect of cognitive behavioural therapy for insomnia on sedative-hypnotic use: a narrative review.Sleep Med Rev. 2021; 56: 1-14https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2020.101404
- Why treat insomnia?.J Prim Care Community Health. 2021; 12: 1-5https://doi.org/10.1177/21501327211014084
- Increasing access to and utilization of cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT-I): a narrative review.J Gen Intern Med. 2018; 33: 955-962https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-018-4390-1
- Telemedicine versus face-to-face delivery of cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia: a randomized controlled noninferiority trial.Sleep. 2021; 44: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/zsaa136
- Economic evaluation of cognitive behavioural therapy for insomnia (CBT-I) for improving health outcomes in adult populations: a systematic review.Sleep Med Rev. 2020; 54: 23-36https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2020.101351
- The effects of app-delivered cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT-I) and sleep quality, dysfunctional beliefs, and sleep hygiene.Psi Chi J Psychol Res. 2020; 25: 224-233https://doi.org/10.24839/2325-7342.JN25.3.224
- Brief behavioral treatment for insomnia vs. cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia: results of a randomized noninferiority clinical trial among veterans.Behav Ther. 2020; 51: 535-547https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beth.2020.02.002
- Assessing for and managing chronic insomnia in primary care settings.Nurse Pract. 2019; 44: 27-34https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NPR.0000559843.91496.20
- Pharmacological management of insomnia.Neurotherapeutics. 2021; 18: 44-52https://doi.org/10.1007/s13311-021-01010-z
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.(2021) CBT-I Coach (Version 2.5) [Mobile app]. Available at App Store (Downloaded December 2019).
- CBT-i Coach. VAMobile.https://mobile.va.gov/app/cbt-i-coachDate accessed: July 28, 2022
- Mobile App: CBT-i Coach.(Published June 22)https://www.ptsd.va.gov/appvid/mobile/cbticoach_app_public.aspDate: 2022Date accessed: July 28, 2022
- Chapter 8: Theory of Symptom Management.in: Smith M.J. Liehr P.R. Middle Range Theory for Nursing. 4th ed. Springer Publishing, 2018: 147-178
- G∗Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences.Behav Res Methods. 2007; 39: 175-191
- Identifying the best sleep measure to screen clinical insomnia in a psychiatric population.Sleep Med. 2018; 41: 86-93https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sleep.2017.09.015
- Insomnia Severity Index.https://www.myhealth.va.gov/mhv-portal-web/insomnia-severity-indexDate accessed: June 10, 2022
- Validity and reliability of insomnia severity index and its correlation with Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index in poor sleepers among Indian university students.Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2017; 32: 1-5https://doi.org/10.1515/ijamh-2016-0090
IBM SPSS Statistics for Windows, Version 28.0. Released 2021. IBM Corp.
- The effect of yoga on sleep quality and insomnia in women with sleep problems: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Psychiatry. 2020; 20: 1-19https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-020-02566-4
- Introduction to the special issue: the impact and treatment of sleep disturbance.Behav Ther. 2020; 51: 519-521https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beth
- Night-to-night sleep variability in older adults with chronic insomnia: mediators and moderators in a randomized controlled trial of Brief Behavioral Therapy (BBT-I).J Clin Sleep Med. 2017; 13: 1243-1254https://doi.org/10.5664/jcsm.6790
- Smartphone apps for insomnia: examining existing apps’ usability and adherence to evidence-based principles for insomnia management.Transl Behav Med. 2018; 9: 110-119https://doi.org/10.1093/tbm/iby014
- A randomized controlled pilot study of CBT-I Coach: feasibility, acceptability, and potential impact of a mobile phone application for patients in cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia.Health Informatics J. 2018; 24: 3-13https://doi.org/10.1177/1460458216656472
- Mobile phone-delivered cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia: a randomized waitlist controlled trial.J Med Internet Res. 2017; 19: 1-21https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.6524
- Overcoming insomnia: protocol for a large-scale randomised controlled trial of online cognitive behavioural therapy for insomnia compared with online patient education about sleep.BMJ Open. 2018; 8: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-025152
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.