- •The nurse practitioner workforce is increasing and yet there is limited information about the evolving diversity in models of care.
- •This study provides a statewide view of gaps in service provision for nurse practitioners.
- •It identifies several priority areas for workforce planning where there is inequity in access to a nurse practitioner service.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Nurse practitioner services in rural/remote area health services implementation policy.NSW Health Department, Sydney2000
- Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia Registrant Data.(1 April 2021–30 June 2021)https://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Search.aspx?q=Nursing+and+Midwifery+Board+of+Australia+Registrant+Data.+1+April+2021%e2%80%93-+30+June+20213.American Association of Nurse Practitioners. NP Facts. Updated April 2022. Accessed May 30, 2022. https://www.aanp.org/about/all-about-nps/np-fact-sheetDate accessed: May 30, 2022
- NP Facts.(Updated April 2022)https://www.aanp.org/about/all-about-nps/np-fact-sheetDate accessed: May 30, 2022
- Integration of nurse practitioners using a change management framework: the way forward.Aust Health Ref. 2016; 41: 553-560
- Nurse practitioner integration: qualitative experiences of the change management process.J Nurs Manag. 2018; 26: 992-1001
- In-patient heart failure nurse practitioner service significantly increases mandated medications and reduces re-hospitalisation rates.Eur Heart J. 2016; 37: 455
- Establishing value from contemporary nurse practitioners’ perceptions of the role: a preliminary study into purpose, support and priorities.Collegian. 2019; 27: 95-101
- The impact of nurse practitioner services on cost, quality of care, satisfaction and waiting times in the emergency department: a systematic review.Int J Nurs Stud. 2015; 52: 421-435
- Nurse practitioner locums: a plausible solution for improving sub regional healthcare access.Aust J Prim Health. 2021; 27: 1-5
- The impact of the advanced practice nursing role on quality of care, clinical outcomes, patient satisfaction, and cost in the emergency and critical care settings: a systematic review.Hum Resour Health. 2017; 15: 63https://doi.org/10.1186/s12960-017-0237-9
- Quality of primary care by advanced practice nurses: a systematic review.Int J Qual Health Care. 2015; 27: 396-404
- Substitution of physicians by nurses in primary care: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Health Serv Res. 2014; 14 (214): 214
- Cost-effectiveness of nurse practitioners in primary and specialised ambulatory care: systematic review.BMJ Open. 2015; 5e007167https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2014-007167
- The clinical effectiveness of nurse practitioners' management of minor injuries in an adult emergency department: a systematic review.Int J Evid Based Healthc. 2009; 7: 3-14https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-1609.2009.00121.x
- Leveraging nurse practitioner capacities to achieve global health for all: COVID-19 and beyond.Int Nurs Rev. 2020; 67: 554-559
- The internationally present perpetual policy themes inhibiting development of the nurse practitioner role in the primary care context: an Australian–USA comparison.Collegian. 2017; 24: 303-312https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colegn.2016.05.001
- The Nurse Practitioner Research Toolkit.Queensland University of Technology, Queensland2009
- Preparing Australian nurse practitioners to meet health care demands.J Nurse Pract. 2020; 16: 629-633
- Thinking about health care differently: nurse practitioners in primary health care as social entrepreneurs.J Prim Health Care. 2018; 10: 331-337https://doi.org/10.1071/HC18053
- Nurse practitioner led model of after-hours emergency care in a rural urgent care centre: health service staff and stakeholder perceptions.BMC Health Serv Res. 2021; 21: 1-11
- Barriers and facilitators to the implementation of the advanced nurse practitioner role in primary care settings: a scoping review.Int J Nurs Stud. 2020; 104103443https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2019.103443
Workforce Development Nursing & Midwifery Workforce. Victorian Nurse Practitioner Program (VNPP) Evaluation of Phase 4 2015. Melbourne: Department of Health & Human Services.
- The enemy within: power and politics in the transition to nurse practitioner.Nurs Plus Open. 2016; 2: 1-7
- It’s about fitting in with the organization: a qualitative study of employers of NPs.J Clin Nurs. 2018; 27: 1529-1536
- Cost Benefit Analysis of Nurse Practitioner Models of Care Report.Department of Health, Canberra2018
- MBS Online. Medicare Benefits Schedule - Item 82210.http://www9.health.gov.au/mbs/fullDisplay.cfm?type=item&qt=ItemID&q=82210#assocNotesDate: 2021Date accessed: May 30, 2022
- Managing medical service delivery gaps in a socially disadvantaged rural community: a nurse practitioner led clinic.J Adv Nurs. 2017; 34: 42-49
- Federal, state, and organizational barriers affecting nurse practitioner workforce and practice.Nurs Econ. 2018; 36: 43-45
Funding: This project was funded by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) with the support of Nursing, Midwifery and Paramedicine Workforce. Andrea Driscoll was supported by a Heart Foundation Future Leader fellowship (100472) from the National Heart Foundation of Australia.
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.