- •Benefits and underutilization of physical therapy are evident.
- •Heightening familiarity with physical therapy optimizes primary patient care.
- •Collaboration with a physical therapist reduces invasive and costly treatment options.
- •A whole health delivery approach with physical therapy promotes optimal clinical outcomes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global burden of 369 diseases and injuries in 204 countries and territories, 1990-2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019.Lancet. 2020; 396: 1204-1222https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(20)30925-9
- The participation of people with disabilities in the workplace across the employment cycle: employer concerns and research evidence.J Bus Psychol. 2020; 35: 135-158https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-018-9602-5
- Defining Primary Care: An Interim Report.National Academies Press, 1994
- Global estimates of the need for rehabilitation based on the Global Burden of Disease study 2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019.Lancet. 2020; 396: 2006-2017https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)32340-0
- Evidence for underuse of effective medical services around the world.Lancet. 2017; 390: 169-177https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(16)30946-1
- Why don't physicians follow clinical practice guidelines? A framework for improvement.JAMA. 1999; 282: 1458-1465https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.282.15.1458
- What physical therapists do.https://www.apta.org/your-career/careers-in-physical-therapy/becoming-a-ptDate accessed: March 16, 2022
- The Guide to Physical Therapy Practice 3.0.APTA, 2014
- Urinary incontinence in women.Lancet. 2006; 367: 57-67https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(06)67925-7
- Recommendations of the International Scientific Committee: EVALUATION AND TREATMENT OF URINARY INCONTINENCE, PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE AND FAECAL INCONTINENCE.Neurourol Urodyn. 2018; 37: 2271-2272https://doi.org/10.1002/nau.23551
- Diagnosis of urinary incontinence.Am Fam Physician. 2013; 87: 543-550
- Exercise interventions to improve pelvic floor muscle functioning in older women with urinary incontinence: a systematic review.J Womens Health Phys Therap. 2021; 45: 115-125
- Pelvic floor muscle training versus no treatment, or inactive control treatments, for urinary incontinence in women.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; 10: CD005654https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD005654.pub4
- Individualized pelvic physical therapy for the treatment of post-prostatectomy stress urinary incontinence and pelvic pain.Int Urol Nephrol. 2020; 52: 655-659https://doi.org/10.1007/s11255-019-02343-7
- The role of pelvic floor exercises on post-prostatectomy incontinence.J Urol. 2003; 170: 130-133https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ju.0000072900.82131.6f
- Patient education.https://aptapelvichealth.org/patienteducation/Date accessed: November 9, 2021
- Evidence-based practice: management of vertigo.Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2012; 45: 925-940https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otc.2012.06.001
- What is the true incidence of horizontal semicircular canal benign paroxysmal positional vertigo?.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006; 134: 451-454https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otohns.2005.07.045
- Early experience with a multi-axial, whole body positioning system in the treatment of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).J Clin Neurosci. 2019; 61: 186-188https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocn.2018.10.039
- Physical therapy for posterior and horizontal canal benign paroxysmal positional vertigo: long-term effect and recurrence: a systematic review.Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2018; 22: 455-459https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0037-1604345
- The Epley (canalith repositioning) manoeuvre for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 12: CD003162https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD003162.pub3
- The underutilization of rehabilitation to treat physical impairments in breast cancer survivors.PM R. 2017; 9: S317-S323https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmrj.2017.05.010
- Clinical characteristics of patients with cancer referred for outpatient physical therapy.Phys Ther. 2015; 95: 526-538https://doi.org/10.2522/ptj.20140106
- Incidence of unilateral arm lymphoedema after breast cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14: 500-515https://doi.org/10.1016/s1470-2045(13)70076-7
- Early rehabilitation reduces the onset of complications in the upper limb following breast cancer surgery.Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2012; 48: 601-611
- Interventions for breast cancer-related lymphedema: clinical practice guideline from the Academy of Oncologic Physical Therapy of APTA.Phys Ther. 2020; 100: 1163-1179https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/pzaa087
- Moving beyond symptom management towards cancer rehabilitation for older adults: answering the 5W's.J Geriatr Oncol. 2018; 9: 543-549https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgo.2017.11.009
- Long-term survivorship care after cancer treatment - summary of a 2017 National Cancer Policy Forum Workshop.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2018; 110: 1300-1310https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djy176
- Prevalence and treatment patterns of physical impairments in patients with metastatic breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. Jun 1 2008; 26: 2621-2629https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2007.12.3075
- Complementary and alternative pain therapy in the emergency department.Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2005; 23: 529-549https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emc.2004.12.015
- Effect of low back pain chronicity on patient outcomes treated in outpatient physical therapy: a retrospective observational study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2020; 101: 861-869https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2019.11.009
- Physical activity and exercise therapy benefit more than just symptoms and impairments in people with hip and knee osteoarthritis.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2018; 48: 439-447https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2018.7877
- Integrated multidisciplinary care of headache disorders: a narrative review.Cephalalgia. 2016; 36: 1181-1191https://doi.org/10.1177/0333102415617413
- Physical therapy and migraine: musculoskeletal and balance dysfunctions and their relevance for clinical practice.Braz J Phys Ther. 2020; 24: 306-317https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjpt.2019.11.001
- Long COVID or post-COVID donditions.(Updated September 16, 2021)www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/long-term-effects.html(2021)Date: 2022Date accessed: March 16, 2022
- Guidance on “long COVID” as a disability under the ADA, Section 504, and Section 1557.https://www.hhs.gov/civil-rights/for-providers/civil-rights-covid19/guidance-long-covid-disability/index.htmlDate accessed: March 16, 2022
- What general and pain-associated psychological distress phenotypes exist among patients with hip and knee osteoarthritis?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2020; 478: 2768-2783https://doi.org/10.1097/corr.0000000000001520
- Impact of interprofessional embedding of physical therapy in a primary care training clinic.J Interprof Care. 2021; 35: 532-537https://doi.org/10.1080/13561820.2020.1798898
- Physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech language pathology in the emergency department: specialty consult services to enhance the care of older adults.Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2021; 39: 419-427https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emc.2021.01.005
- Using implementation frameworks to provide proactive physical therapy for people with Parkinson disease: case report.Phys Ther. 2019; 99: 1644-1655https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/pzz129
- Strategy 6E: rapid referral programs.(Updated March 2020)https://www.ahrq.gov/cahps/quality-improvement/improvement-guide/6-strategies-for-improving/access/strategy6g-rapid-referral.html
- Enhancing pelvic health: optimizing the services provided by primary health care teams in Ontario by integrating physiotherapists.Physiother Can. 2019; 71: 168-175https://doi.org/10.3138/ptc.2017-81.pc
- Demographic and clinical factors associated with nonsurgical osteoarthritis treatment among patients in outpatient clinics.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2018; 70: 1141-1149https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.23466
- The underutilization of occupational and physical therapy for older adults with cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32 (9548): 9548https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2014.32.15_suppl.9548
- Low back pain.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2012; 42: A1-57https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2012.42.4.A1
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.