- •Behavioral and mental health conditions have increased in the pediatric populations.
- •Job task analysis verifies content for the pediatric PMHS certification examination.
- •Details for the PMHS exam content, (eg, Screenings, Dx, RX, etc.) are identified.
- •Knowledge, skills, and abilities to provide safe effective care are tested.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- WHO Director-General’s opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19—11 March 2020. World Health Organization.(Published March 11)https://www.who.int/director-general/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---11-march-2020Date: 2020Date accessed: June 28, 2022
- National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Children’s Mental Health. Data and Statistics on Children’s Mental Health.(Page last reviewed: June 3)https://www.cdc.gov/childrensmentalhealth/data.htmlDate: 2022Date accessed: June 14, 2022
- Mental health surveillance among children--United States, 2005-2011.MMWR Suppl. 2013; 62: 1-35
- Addressing the clinical impact of COVID-19 on pediatric mental health.J Pediatr Health Care. 2021; 35: 377-386https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedhc.2021.03.006
- Impact of COVID-19 on mental health in adolescents: a systematic review.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021; 18: 2470https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18052470
- Mental health of children and adolescents amidst COVID-19 and past pandemics: a rapid systematic review.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021; 18: 3432https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18073432
- AAP, AACAP, CHA declare national emergency in children’s mental health.AAP News. 2021; (October 19)https://publications.aap.org/aapnews/news/17718/AAP-AACAP-CHA-declare-national-emergency-in?autologincheck=redirectedDate accessed: June 3, 2022
- Institute of Pediatric Nursing.www.pncb.orgDate accessed: June 12, 2022
- The pediatric mental health specialist: role delineation.J Nurse Pract. 2013; 9: 142-148https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2012.11.017
- 2020-2021 Job Task Analysis of the Pediatric Primary Care Mental Health Specialist. Executive Summary Prepared by ACT Credentialing Center, February 2021.https://www.pncb.org/sites/default/files/resources/2020-2021_PMHS_JTA_Exec_Summary_FINAL.pdfDate accessed: November 20, 2021
- A job task analysis of the expanding role of the pediatric mental health specialist and the nurse practitioner in pediatric mental health.J Pediatr Health Care. 2019; 33: e9-e17https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedhc.2018.11.001
- Health care, family, and community factors associated with mental, behavioral, and developmental disorders and poverty among children aged 2–8 years—United States, 2016.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018; 67: 1377-1383https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6750a1
- Prevalence and treatment of depression, anxiety, and conduct problems in US Children.J Pediatr. 2019; 206: 256-267.e3https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2018.09.021
- PMHS Exam Eligibility.https://www.pncb.org/pmhs-exam-eligibilityDate accessed: November 20, 2021
- Social Determinants of Health: Know What Affects Health.(Last reviewed: September 30)https://www.cdc.gov/socialdeterminants/index.htmDate: 2021Date accessed: July 1, 2022
- Violence Prevention: Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs).(Last reviewed: April 2)https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/aces/index.htmlDate: 2021Date accessed: July 1, 2022
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP).https://www.aanpcert.org/certs/fnpDate accessed: June 28, 2022
- Making sense of Cronbach’s alpha.Int J Med Educ. 2011; 2: 53-55https://doi.org/10.5116/ijme.4dfb.8dfd
- The business of being a pediatrician.Contemp Peds J. 2022; 39
- A workforce survey on developmental-behavioral pediatrics.Pediatrics. 2018; 141e20172164https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-216
- Engineering, and Medicine.in: Wakefield M. Williams D.R. Menestrel S.L. Flaubert J.L. The Future of Nursing 2020-2030: Charting a Path to Achieve Health Equity. The National Academies Press, 2021https://doi.org/10.17226/25982
- https://www.nursingworld.org/ancc/Date accessed: June 28, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Disclaimer: Dr. Heuer is a member of the PNCB PMHS Exam Committee and has received honoraria for travel expenses and recertification fees as well as Continuing Education credit for test item-writing as part of her ongoing committee work with PNCB.
PCNB provided financial support for this work. In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.