- •The final common pathway of postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) is prolonged sympathetic compensatory response to decreased cardiac output upon standing.
- •The major diagnostic criteria for POTS include a sustained tachycardia upon standing, lack of orthostatic hypotension, symptoms of orthostatic intolerance for at least 6 months, and the elimination of other known causes of tachycardia.
- •Research has found that most POTS patients find improvements through a combination of nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic interventions that combat hemodynamic instability and regulate autonomic imbalance.
- •Common triggers include surgery, concussion, traumatic event, pregnancy, or viral illness.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- P Postural tachycardia syndrome-diagnosis, physiology, and prognosis.Auton Neurosci. 2018; 215: 3-11https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autneu.2018.02.005
- 10 Facts about POTS: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome [Brochure].http://www.dysautonomiainternational.org/pdf/10FactsAboutPOTS.pdfDate accessed: October 22, 2021
- Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome: Prevalence, pathophysiology, and management.Drugs. 2018; 78: 983-994https://doi.org/10.1007/s40265-018-0931-5
- The face of postural tachycardia syndrome - insights from a large cross-sectional online community-based survey.J Intern Med. 2019; 286: 438-448https://doi.org/10.1111/joim.12895
- Postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS) non-pharmacologic treatment strategies and clinical pearls [Conference presentation slides].(2019, September 21) Presented at: Annual POTS & Beyond Conference, Salt Lake City, UT2019 (September 20-21)
- Evaluation of postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS).Auton Neurosci. 2018; 215: 12-19https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autneu.2018.04.004
- The patient perspective: what postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome patients want physicians to know.Auton Neurosci. 2018; 215: 121-125https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autneu.2018.06.002
- Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome: diagnosis and treatment.Heart Lung. 2011; 40: 554-560https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrtlng.2009.12.014
- Moving from the present to the future of postural tachycardia syndrome -what we need.Auton Neurosci. 2018; 215: 126128https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autneu.2018.06.007
- Postural tachycardia syndrome: Beyond orthostatic intolerance.Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2015; 15 (Article 60)https://doi.org/10.1007/s11910-015-0583-8
- Principles of Autonomic Medicine.https://dir.ninds.nih.gov/publications/PrinciplesofAutonomicMedicinev40.pdfDate: 2017Date accessed: October 22, 2021
- StatPearls Publishing.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK531492/Date: 2020Date accessed: October 22, 2021
- Postural tachycardia syndrome: diagnosis and management in adolescents and young adults.Pediat Ann. 2017; 46: e145-e154https://doi.org/10.3928/1938235920170322-01
- StatPearls Publishing.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK470455/Date: 2020Date accessed: October 22, 2021
- Diagnoses, syndromes, and diseases: a knowledge representation problem.AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2003; 2003: 802
- Confounders of vasovagal syncope: Postural tachycardia syndrome.Cardiol Clin. 2013; 31: 101-109https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccl.2012.09.004
- Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome: clinical presentation, aetiology and management.J Intern Med. 2019; 285: 352-366https://doi.org/10.1111/joim.12852/
- Normal autonomic neurophysiology of postural orthostatic tachycardia and recommended physiological assessments in postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome.Physiol Rep. 2020; 8e14465https://doi.org/10.14814/phy2.14465
- Cerebral blood flow is reduced in Me/CFS during head-up tilt testing even in the absence of hypotension or tachycardia: a quantitative controlled study using Doppler echography.Clin Neurophysiol Pract. 2020; 5: 50-58https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cnp.2020.01.003
- Clinical approach to autonomic dysfunction.Intern Med J. 2016; 46 (Internal Medicine Journal, 46(10):1134-1139. Published correction appears in Intern Med J. 2017;47(1):126): 1134-1139https://doi.org/10.1111/imj.13216
- Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome.Prim Health Care J. 2011; 21: 16-20https://doi.org/10.7748/ns2013.01.27.20.44.c9502
- Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome.Am Nurse Today. 2018; 13: 18-21
- Postural tachycardia syndrome is associated with significant symptoms and functional impairment predominantly affecting young women: a UK perspective.BMJ Open. 2014; 4e004127https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2013-004127
- Orthostatic intolerance symptoms are associated with depression and diminished quality of life in patients with postural tachycardia syndrome.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2016; 14: 144https://doi.org/10.1186/s12955-016-0548-x
- Pharmacotherapy for postural tachycardia syndrome.Auton Neurosci. 2018; 215: 28-36https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autneu.2018.04.008
- Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome and the potential role of mast cell activation.Auton Neurosci. 2018; 215: 83-88https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autneu.2018.05.001
- Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome and other forms of orthostatic intolerance in Ehler Danlos syndrome.Auton Neurosci. 2018; 215: 89-96https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autneu.2018.02.006
- From the nutcracker-phenomenon of the left renal vein to the midline congestion syndrome as a cause of migraine, headache, back and abdominal pain and functional disorders of pelvic organs.Med Hypotheses. 2007; 68: 1318-1327https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2006.10.040
- The gastrointestinal symptoms present in patients with postural tachycardia syndrome: a review of the literature and overview of treatment.Auton Neurosci. 2018; 215: 70-77https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autneu.2018.09.003
- Nutcracker syndrome mimicking new daily persistent headache: a case report.Cephalgia. 2020; 440: 1008-1011https://doi.org/10.1177/0333102420918554
- Exercise and non-pharmacological treatment of POTS.Auton Neurosci. 2018; 215: 20-27https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autneu.2018.07.001
- Cognitive and psychological issues in postural tachycardia.Auton Neurosci. 2018; 215: 46-55https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autneu.2018.03.004
- Management of headache and chronic pain in POTS.Auton Neurosci. 2018; 215: 37-45https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autneu.2018.06.004
- Activity and exercise intolerance after concussion: Identification and management of postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome.J Neurol Phys Therapy. 2018; 42: 163-171https://doi.org/10.1097/NPT.0000000000000231
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.