- •Transitions from jail to the rural community for individuals who experience mental illness are complex situational and health illness transitions.
- •Continuity of care is best supported through interdisciplinary collaboration.
- •Policy change is needed to support practice and promote quality outcomes for this high-risk population.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Shining a Spotlight on Inadequate Response to COVID-19 in Prisons and Jails: Devastating outbreaks were totally predictable, say advocates and researchers. Will anything change? Healthcare Innovation.(October 19)https://www.hcinnovationgroup.com/policy-value-based-care/public-health/article/21158973/shining-a-spotlight-on-covid19-in-prisons-and-jailsDate: 2020Date accessed: April 30, 2020
- Key Statistics Total Correctional Population.https://www.bjs.ojp.govDate accessed: February 19, 2022
- Dissertation.The University of Arizona, 2021
- Jail Planning.https://nicic.gov/projects/new-jail-planningDate accessed: March 15, 2022
- Sharing of patient health records upon release from incarceration.https://www.ncchc.org/sharing-of-patient-health-records-upon-release-from-incarceration/Version: v1Date: 2021Date accessed: March 15, 2022
- How Physical, Mental, and Substances Abuse Conditions Shape the Process of reintegration.Urban Institute Justice Policy Center, 2008
- Patient, medical and legal perspectives on reentry: the need for a low-barrier, collaborative, patient-centered approach.Health Justice. 2021; 9: 37
- Socioeconomic marginalization and opioid-related overdose: a systematic review.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2020; 214: 108127
- General practitioner contributions to achieving sustained healthcare for offenders: a qualitative study.BMC Fam Pract. 2018; 19: 22
- Implementation of health information exchange at the Pima County Adult Detention Complex: lessons learned.J Correct Health Care. 2018; 24: 183-196
- Justice involvement patterns, overdose experiences, and naloxone knowledge among men and women in criminal justice diversion addiction treatment.Harm Reduct J. 2019; 16: 46
- Criminal Justice Drug Facts.https://nida.nih.gov/publications/drugfacts/criminal-justiceDate: 2020Date accessed: April 2, 2022
- Reducing overdose after release from incarceration (ROAR): study protocol for an intervention to reduce risk of fatal and non-fatal opioid overdose among women after release from prison.Health Justice. 2020; 8: 18
- A survey of health disparities, social determinants of health, and converging morbidities in a county jail: cultural-ecological assessment of health conditions in jail populations.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018; 15: 2500
- Continuum of care for inmates taking psychiatric medications while incarcerated in Minnesota county jails.J Correct Health Care. 2017; 23: 412-420
- Coordinating across correctional, community, and VA systems: applying the Collaborative Chronic Care Model to post-incarceration healthcare and reentry support for veterans with mental health and substance use disorders.Health Justice. 2019; 7 (12): 18
- Effect of scheduling a post-discharge outpatient mental health appointment on the likelihood of successful transition from hospital to community-based care.J Clin Psychiatry. 2020; 81 (20m13344)
- Seeking recognition through carceral health care bureaucracy: analysis of medical care request forms in a County Jail.Soc Sci Med. 2021; 291: 114485
- Associations between physical health conditions and posttraumatic stress disorder according to age.Aging Ment Health. 2021; 25 (23): 234-242
- Posttraumatic stress disorder in adults: epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, course, assessment, and diagnosis.https://www-uptodate-com.ezproxy3.library.arizona.edu/contents/posttraumatic-stress-disorder-in-adults-epidemiology-pathophysiology-clinical-manifestations-course-assessment-and-diagnosis?search=Sareen,%20J.,%20Stein,%20M.,%20%26%20Freidman,%20M.%20(2021).%20Posttraumatic%20stress%20disorder%20in%20adults:%20Epidemiology,%20pathophysiology,%20clinical%20manifestations,%20course,%20assessment%20and%20diagnosis.%20UpToDate.%20Retrieved%20from:%20https:%2F%2Fwww-uptodate-com.ezproxy2.library.arizona.edu%2Fcontents%2Fposttraumatic-stress-disorder-in-adults-epidemiology-pathophysiology-clinical-manifestations-course-assessment-and-diagnosis%3Fsearch%3Dptsd%26source%3Dsearch_result%26selectedTitle%3D2∼150%26usage_type%3Ddefault%26display_rank%3D2&source=search_result&selectedTitle=1∼150&usage_type=default&display_rank=1Date: 2022Date accessed: March 21, 2022
- Pathways to incarceration: an examination of childhood maltreatment and personality psychopathology in incarcerated adults.Psychol Crime Law. 2021; 27: 253-264
- Post traumatic stress disorder in incarcerated populations: current clinical considerations and recommendations.J Crim Psychol. 2020; 10: 30-42
- Concept of Trauma and Guidance for a Trauma-Informed Approach: SAMSA’s Trauma & Justice Strategic Initiative.https://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://ncsacw.acf.hhs.gov/userfiles/files/SAMHSA_Trauma.pdfDate: 2014Date accessed: April 4, 2022
- Mental health identification practices of jails: the unmet needs of the “silent” population.Am J Community Psychol. 2021; 67: 7-20
- Disparities in technology and broadband internet access across rurality: implications for health and education.Fam Community Health. 2021; 44: 257-265
- Structural urbanism contributes to poorer health outcomes for rural America.Health Aff (Millwood). 2019; 38: 1976-1984
- Exploring the urban-rural incarceration divide: drivers of local jail incarceration rates in the United States.J Technol Hum Serv. 2018; 36: 76-88
- Debt, incarceration, and re-entry: a scoping review.Am J Crim Justice. 2020; 46: 250-278
- Improving sexual health in U.S. rural communities: reducing the impact of stigma.AIDS Behav. 2021; 26: 90-99
- Development and implementation of a community health survey for public health accreditation: case study from a rural county in California.Eval Program Plan. 2018; 67: 47-52
- Local health departments’ role in nonprofit hospitals’ community health needs assessment.Am J Public Health. 2018; 108: 595-597
- Behavioral Health Services.https://www.azahcccs.gov/Members/BehavioralHealthServices/Date: 2022Date accessed: April 4, 2022
- 31-165: Prisons and Prisoners: Inmate Medical Services: Rates Structure.https://www.azleg.gov/ars/31/00165.htmDate: 2020Date accessed: April 5, 2022
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the author reports no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.
Dr. Langley is a Jonas Scholar 2021-2023.