- •Aging in place allows people to live in their homes and get older.
- •Informal caregivers help people aging in place to meet their complex needs.
- •Person- and family-centered care facilitates caring for the caregiver, the invisible workforce.
- •Nurse practitioners lead the interprofessional team approach to caregiver empowerment.
- •Any health care encounter is an opportunity to identify caregiver distress and promote resilience.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- UN Decade of Healthy Ageing: plan of action.https://www.who.int/initiatives/decade-of-healthy-ageingDate: 2020Date accessed: May 28, 2002
- Home and community preferences: a national survey of adults age 18-plus. AARP Research.(August 2018)
- Rural aging in place toolkit. Rural Health Information Hub.https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/toolkits/agingDate: 2019Date accessed: April 17, 2022
- Caregiving.Salem Press Encyclopedia of Health, 2020https://search-ebscohost-com.va.proxy.liblynxgateway.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ers&AN=125600409&site=eds-liveDate accessed: August 17, 2022
Reinhard SC, Feinberg LF, Houser A, Choula R, Evans M. Valuing the Invaluable: 2019 Update – Charting a Path Forward. AARP Public Policy Institute; November 2019. https://doi.org/10.26419/ppi.00082.001
AARP and National Alliance for Caregiving. Caregiving in the United States 2020. AARP; May 2020. https://doi.org/10.26419/ppi.00103.001
- Experiences and support needs of older carers: a focus group study of perceptions from the voluntary and statutory sectors.Maturitas. 2019; 123: 40-44https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2019.02.003
- Neuropsychological consequences of chronic stress: the case of informal caregivers.Aging Ment Health. 2020; 24: 259-271https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2018.1537360
- Exploring aging-related stress among older spousal caregivers.J Gerontol Nurs. 2014; 40: 13-16https://doi.org/10.3928/00989134-20140506-01
- Predicting the burden of family caregivers from their individual characteristics.Inform Health Soc Care. 2022; 47: 211-222https://doi.org/10.1080/17538157.2021.1988955
- Assessment of the psychological burden among family caregivers of people living with Alzheimer’s disease using the Zarit Burden Interview.J Alzheimers Dis. 2021; 82: 285-291https://doi.org/10.3233/JAD-210025
- Family caregiving skill: development of the concept.Res Nurs Health. 2000; 23: 191-203https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-240x(200006)23:3<191::aid-nur3>3.0.co;2-b
- Experiences and support needs of informal caregivers of people with multimorbidity: a scoping literature review.Psychol Health. 2020; 35: 36-69https://doi.org/10.1080/08870446.2019.1626125
Reinhard S, Young HM, Levine C, Kelly K, Choula R, Accius J. Home Alone Revisited. AARP Public Policy Institute; April 2019. https://doi.org/10.26419/ppi.00086.001
- Impact of informal caregiving on older adults’ physical and mental health in low-income and middle-income countries: a cross-sectional, secondary analysis based on the WHO’s Study on global AGEing and adult health (SAGE).BMJ Open. 2017; 7: e017236https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2017-017236
- The Health of America. The economic impact of caregiving.(November 8, 2021)https://www.bcbs.com/the-health-of-america/reports/the-economic-impact-of-caregivingDate accessed: May 28, 2022
- Developing person centered care competencies for the healthcare workforce to support family caregivers: caregiver centered care.Health Soc Care Community. 2021; 29: 1327-1338https://doi.org/10.1111/hsc.13173
- The CARE Act Implementation: Progress and Promise. AARP Public Policy Institute Spotlight.(March 2019)https://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/ppi/2019/03/the-care-act-implementation-progress-and-promise.pdfDate accessed: July 9, 2022
- Family caregiving in serious illness in the United States: recommendations to support an invisible workforce.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019; 67: S451-S456https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.15820
- Eden J, National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. Families Caring for an Aging America.The National Academies Press, 2016https://doi.org/10.17226/23606
- Preparedness for caregiving scale. Try this. General Assessment series. From The Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing.New York University Rory Meyers College of Nursing. 2018;https://hign.org/consultgeri/try-this-series/preparedness-caregiving-scaleDate accessed: April 17, 2022
- Association of a geriatric emergency department program with healthcare outcomes among veterans.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2022; 70: 601-608https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.17572
- Preliminary data from the Caring for Older Adults and Caregivers at Home (COACH) Program: a care coordination program for home-based dementia care and caregiver support in a Veterans Affairs medical center.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015; 63: 1203-1208https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.13448
- Caregiver needs assessment in primary care: views of clinicians, staff, patients, and caregivers.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020; 68: 1262-1270https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.16401
- Families caring for an aging America need palliative care.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017; 65: 877-878https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.14785
- RAISE Family Caregivers Act Initial Report to Congress. RAISE Family Caregiving Advisory Council.(September 2021)https://acl.gov/RAISE/reportDate accessed: July 11, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the author reports no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.