- •Etiological theories of premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) suggest a sensitivity to hormonal and serotonergic changes during the luteal phase of menstrual cycle.
- •PMDD may be managed by nurse practitioners within primary care and gynecology settings, along with support from psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners.
- •Prospective rating scales are recommended to confirm PMDD diagnosis.
- •Pharmacologic treatment options include antidepressants and combined oral contraceptives. Nonpharmacologic interventions for symptom management, such as psychotherapy, dietary changes, and physical activity are also reviewed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Emotion regulation in women with premenstrual dysphoric disorder.Arch Womens Ment Health. 2016; 19: 891-898https://doi.org/10.1007/s00737-016-0634-4
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.in: 5th ed.,text revision. American Psychiatric Association, 2022
- Recent advances in understanding/management of premenstrual dysphoric disorder/premenstrual syndrome.Fac Rev. 2022; 11: 11https://doi.org/10.12703/r/11-11
- The etiology of premenstrual dysphoric disorder: 5 interwoven pieces.Curr Psychiatr. 2017; 16: 21https://www.mdedge.com/psychiatry/article/144987/somatic-disorders/etiology-premenstrual-dysphoric-disorder-5-interwoven
- How to study the menstrual cycle: Practical tools and recommendations.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2021; 123104895https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psyneuen.2020.104895
- Premenstrual syndrome, a common but underrated entity: review of the clinical literature.J Turk Ger Gynecol Assoc. 2021; 22: 139-148https://doi.org/10.4274/jtgga.galenos.2021.2020.0133
- Suicidality in women with premenstrual dysphoric disorder: a systemic literature review.Arch Womens Ment Health. 2021; 24: 173-184https://doi.org/10.1007/s00737-020-01054-8
- Premenstrual syndrome: evidenced-based evaluation and treatment.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 61: 52-61https://doi.org/10.1097/GRF.0000000000000339
- Ulipristal acetate for treatment of premenstrual dysphoric disorder: a proof-of-concept randomized controlled trial.Am J Psychiatry. 2021; 178: 256-265https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.2020.20030286
- Suicidality in patients with premenstrual dysphoric disorder—A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Affect Disord. 2021; 295: 339-346https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2021.08.082
- Normal menstrual cycle.in: Crowley W.F. Blake D. UpToDate. 2022https://www-uptodate-com.treadwell.idm.oclc.org/contents/normal-menstrual-cycleDate accessed: June 30, 2022
- Neuroimaging the menstrual cycle and premenstrual dysphoric disorder.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2015; 17: 77https://doi.org/10.1007/s11920-015-0619-4
- Progesterone—friend or foe?.Front Neuroendocrinol. 2020; 59100856https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yfrne.2020.100856
- Women’s experiences of receiving a diagnosis of premenstrual dysphoric disorder: a qualitative investigation.BMC Womens Health. 2020; 20: 242https://doi.org/10.1186/s12905-020-01100-8
- Psychiatric symptoms and disorders associated with reproductive cyclicity in women: advances in screening tools.Womens Health. 2015; 11: 399-415https://doi.org/10.2217/whe.15.1
- Premenstrual syndrome diagnosis: a comparative study between the Daily Record of Severity of Problems (DRSP) and the Premenstrual Symptoms Screening Tool (PSST).Rev Bras Ginecol Obstet. 2018; 40: 20-22https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0037-1608672
- Allopregnanolone in premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD): Evidence for dysregulated sensitivity to GABA-A receptor modulating neuroactive steroids across the menstrual cycle.Neurobiol Stress. 2020; 12100213https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ynstr.2020.100213
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder.Med Clin North Am. 2019; 103: 613-628https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcna.2019.02.007
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder: epidemiology and treatment.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2015; 17: 87https://doi.org/10.1007/s11920-015-0628-3
- Treatment of premenstrual dysphoria with continuous versus intermittent dosing of oral contraceptives: Results of a three-arm randomized controlled trial.Depress Anxiety. 2017; 34: 908-917https://doi.org/10.1002/da.22673
- Pilot data on the feasibility and clinical outcomes of a nomegestrol acetate oral contraceptive pill in women with premenstrual dysphoric disorder.Front Endocrinol. 2021; 12704488https://doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2021.704488
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder symptoms following ovarian suppression: triggered by change in ovarian steroid levels but not continuous stable levels.Am J Psychiatry. 2017; 174: 980-989https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.2017.16101113
- Toward more targeted and cost-effective gonadotropin-releasing hormone analog treatment in girls with central precocious puberty.Horm Res Paediatr. 2018; 90: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1159/000491103
- Double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of adjunctive quetiapine SR in the treatment of PMS/PMDD.Hum Psychopharmacol. 2015; 30: 425-434https://doi.org/10.1007/s11920-015-0628-3
- Internet-based cognitive-behavioral intervention for women with premenstrual dysphoric disorder: a randomized controlled trial.Psychother Psychosom. 2019; 88: 16-29https://doi.org/10.1159/000496237
- Effect of exercise on premenstrual symptoms: a systematic review.Complement Ther Med. 2020; 48102272https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2019.102272
- Exercise for premenstrual syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.BJGP Open. 2020; 4bjpopen20X101032https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgpopen20X101032
- Vitex agnus castus for premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder: a systematic review.Arch Womens Ment Health. 2017; 20: 713-719https://doi.org/10.1007/s00737-017-0791-0
- Effects of zinc supplementation on physical and psychological symptoms, biomarkers of inflammation, oxidative stress, and brain-derived neurotrophic factor in young women with premenstrual syndrome: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Biol Trace Elem Res. 2020; 194: 89-95https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-019-01757-9
- Beneficial role of calcium in premenstrual syndrome: a systematic review of current literature.Int J Prev Med. 2020; 11: 156https://doi.org/10.4103/ijpvm.IJPVM_243_19
- The effects of magnesium supplementation on subjective anxiety and stress—a systematic review.Nutrients. 2017; 9: 429https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9050429
- Serum antioxidant vitamin concentrations and oxidative stress markers associated with symptoms and severity of premenstrual syndrome: a prospective cohort study.BMC Womens Health. 2021; 21: 49https://doi.org/10.1186/s12905-021-01187-7
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.