- •This article applies the Reproductive Justice framework in the context of abortion and abortion care by integrating a holistic view on abortion and the socioeconomic and racial aspects related to abortion.
- •An intersectional view is integrated to understand health disparities and health inequalities that affect people of color and marginalized populations.
- •This article is a call to action for nurse practitioners to mobilize and become involved and up to date with abortion in the United States, especially in states where there will be an influx of demand for abortion services
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Stern R, Sundberg A. (2018, September 13). Reversing Roe [Film]. Netflix.
- Life without Roe v Wade.Contracept Reprod Med. 2021; 6https://doi.org/10.1186/s40834-021-00149-6
- Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, ending right to abortion upheld for decades. NPR.(June 24, 2022. Accessed July 8, 2022)
- Abortion and women of color: The bigger picture. Guttmacher Institute.(June 24, 2022. Accessed July 8, 2022)
- What the data says about abortion in the U.S. Pew Research Center.(June 24, 2022. Accessed July 8, 2022)
- The role of advanced practice clinicians in the availability of abortion services in the United States.J Obstetr Gynecol Neonat Nurs. 2007; 36: 471-476https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1552-6909.2007.00169.x
- The role of advanced nurse practitioners in the availability of abortion services.Best Pract Res Clin Obstetr Gynaecol. 2010; 24: 569-578https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpobgyn.2010.02.014
- Training in aspiration abortion care: an observational cohort study of achieving procedural competence.Int J Nurs Studies. 2018; 88: 53-59https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2018.08.003
- Expanding the abortion provider workforce: A qualitative study of organizations implementing a new California policy.Perspect Sex Reproduct Health. 2018; 50: 33-39https://doi.org/10.1363/psrh.12051
- Advanced practice clinicians’ interest in providing medical abortion: results of a California survey.Perspect Sex Reproduct Health. 2005; 37: 92-97https://doi.org/10.1363/3709205
- Safety of aspiration abortion performed by nurse practitioners, Certified Nurse Midwives, and physician assistants under a California legal waiver.Am J Public Health. 2013; 103: 454-461https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.2012.301159
- Why intersectionality matters for reproductive health care. Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest, Inc..(2017. Accessed July 8, 2022)https://www.plannedparenthood.org/planned-parenthood-pacific-southwest/blog/why-intersectionality-matters-for-reproductive-health-care
- Reproductive Justice as intersectional feminist activism.Souls. 2017; 19: 286-314https://doi.org/10.1080/10999949.2017.1389634
- Relating reproductive justice to clinical practice.Women Healthcare Clin J NPs. 2022; 10: 45-50
- What is reproductive justice? How women of color activists are redefining the pro-choice paradigm.Meridians. 2010; 10: 42-65https://doi.org/10.2979/meridians.2010.10.2.42
- Universal declaration of human rights. United Nations.(July 8, 2022, from)
- The moral imperative of reproductive rights, health, and justice.Best Pract Res Clin Obstetr Gynaecol. 2020; 62: 3-10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpobgyn.2019.07.006
- Respecting religious freedoms and protecting the public’s health.Public Health Reports. 2015; 130: 546-549https://doi.org/10.1177/003335491513000518
- US Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe vs. Wade is a serious setback for reproductive health and human rights.(June 24, 2022. Accessed July 8, 2022)https://www.nursingworld.org/news/news-releases/2022-news-releases/us-supreme-courts-decision-to-overturn-roe-vs.-wade----is-a-serious-setback-for-reproductive-health-and-human-rights/
- ACOG statement on the decision in Dobbs v. Jackson.(June 24, 2022. Accessed July 8, 2022)
- Restrictive state abortion bans—a reproductive injustice New Engl J Med.(March 31, 2022. Accessed April 5, 2022)
- Induced abortion in the United States.(May 8, 2020. Accessed March 30, 2022)
- Disparities in abortion rates: a public health approach.Am J Public Health. 2013; 103: 1772-1779https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.2013.301339
- Navigating loss of abortion services—a large academic medical center prepares for the overturn of Roe v. Wade. New Engl J Med.(June 2, 2022. Accessed July 8, 2022)
- Distance traveled for Medicaid-covered abortion care in California.BMC Health Serv Res. 2017; 17https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-017-2241-0
- Quantifying the impact of targeted regulation of abortion provider laws on US abortion rates: a multi-state assessment.Contraception. 2019; 100: 374-379https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2019.06.003
- Socioeconomic outcomes of women who receive and women who are denied wanted abortions in the United States.Am J Public Health. 2018; 108: 407-413https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.2017.304247
- Covid-19 abortion bans and their implications for public health.Perspect Sex Reproduct Health. 2020; 52: 65-68https://doi.org/10.1363/psrh.12139
- Abortion travel within the United States: an observational study of cross-state movement to obtain abortion care in 2017.Lancet Regional Health Americas. 2022; 10: 100214https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lana.2022.100214
- Blue states enact new laws to create abortion havens. The Pew Charitable Trusts.(April 1, 2022. Accessed April 24, 2022)https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2022/04/01/blue-states-enact-new-laws-to-create-abortion-havens
- Increasing access to abortion.Obstetr Gynecol. 2020; 136https://doi.org/10.1097/aog.0000000000004176
- Radical or routine? nurse practitioners, nurse-midwives, and physician assistants as abortion providers.Reproduct Health Matters. 2015; 23: 90-92https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rhm.2015.06.002
- Advancing scope of practice for advanced practice clinicians: more than a matter of access.Contraception. 2009; 80: 105-107https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2009.04.013
- Abortion education in nurse practitioner, physician assistant and certified nurse–midwifery programs: A national survey.Contraception. 2006; 73: 408-414https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2005.10.011
- Interest in medication and aspiration abortion training among Colorado nurse practitioners, nurse midwives, and physician assistants.Women Health Issues. 2020; 30: 167-175https://doi.org/10.1016/j.whi.2020.02.001
- Responding to evolving abortion regulations—the critical role of primary care.New Engl J Med. 2019; 380https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmp1903572
- It is time to integrate abortion into primary care.Am J Public Health. 2013; 103: 14-16https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.2012.301119
- The availability and use of medication abortion.(April 6, 2022. Accessed July 8, 2022)https://www.kff.org/womens-health-policy/fact-sheet/the-availability-and-use-of-medication-abortion/
- Abortion self-care: a forward-looking solution to inequitable access.Int Perspect Sex Reproduct Health. 2020; 46: 91-95https://doi.org/10.1363/46e1420
- Expanding access to medication abortions.JAMA. 2022; 327: 112-114https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2021.23357
- Abortion is now banned in these states. See where laws have changed. The Washington Post.(July 7, 2022. Accessed July 8, 2022)
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the author reports no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.