- •Alcohol use in adults older adults, ages 65 years and older, is increasing.
- •Unhealthy alcohol use can lead to adverse health outcomes as the aging body reacts differently to alcohol compared to younger ages.
- •Age-appropriate screening tools better identify those older adults at risk.
- •Primary, Secondary and Tertiary prevention interventions increase awareness, screening and interventions for unhealthy alcohol use in older adults.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- National Poll on Healthy Aging: Alcohol Use Among Older Adults. University of Michigan: Institute for Healthcare Policy & Innovation.(Accessed May 4 2022)https://doi.org/10.7302/1328Date: 2021
- Alcohol Use Screening and Assessment for Older Adults. Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing.(2018. Accessed May 4 2022)
- National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.(2022. Accessed May 6 2022)
- Increased alcohol use during the Covid-19 pandemic: the effect of mental health and age in a cross-sectional sample of social media users in the U.S.Prev Med. 2021; 145: 106422https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2021.106422
- The spectrum of alcohol use: epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment.Med Clin N Am. 2022; 106: 43-60https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcna.2021.08.003
- Harmful Interactions: Mixing Alcohol with Medicines.(2014, Accessed June 26 2022)https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochures-and-fact-sheets/harmful-interactions-mixing-alcohol-with-medicines
- Trends in alcohol-related emergency department visits in the United States: results from the Nationwide Emergency Department Sample, 2006 to 2014.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2018; 42: 352-359https://doi.org/10.1111/acer.13559
- Falling down a flight of stairs: the impact of age and intoxication on injury pattern and severity.Trauma. 2018; 20: 169-174https://doi.org/10.1177/1460408617720948
- Fall-related emergency department visits involving alcohol among older adults.J Safety Res. 2020; 74: 125-131https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2020.06.001
- Alcohol Facts and Statistics 2020.(Accessed May 9 2022)
- Excessive Alcohol Use.(2022. Accessed May 10, 2022)https://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/publications/factsheets/alcohol.htm#:∼:text=To%20reduce%20the%20risk%20of
U.S. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2020-2025. 9th Edition. December 2020. Accessed May 4, 2022. DietaryGuidelines.gov
- Understanding lay assessments of alcohol use disorder: need for treatment and associated stigma.Alcohol Alcohol. 2015; 1: 98-105https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agv069
- Guide for Measuring Alcohol Outlet Density. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services.(Accessed May 20, 2022)
- Screening and behavioral counseling interventions to reduce unhealthy alcohol use in adolescents and adults.JAMA. 2018; 320: 1899https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.16789
- A systematic review of self-report measures used in epidemiological studies to assess alcohol consumption among older adults.PLoS One. 2021; 16: e0261292https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0261292
- Alcohol misuse screening and counseling.(2022. Accessed June 26 2022)https://www.medicareinteractive.org/get-answers/medicare-covered-services/preventive-services/alcohol-misuse-screening-and-counseling
- Perioperative alcohol cessation intervention for postoperative complications.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; 11: CD008343https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD008343.pub3
- Treatment needs and service utilization in older U.S. adults evidencing high-risk substance use.J Aging Health. 2020; 32: 1363-1375https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264320929537
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the author reports no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.