- •Loneliness has implications for poor health outcomes in an older adult population.
- •Social networks, physical and mental conditions, and loneliness are interconnected.
- •Nurse practitioners integrating screening tools can promote interventions to reduce loneliness.
- •Individualized care plans may prevent poor health outcomes caused by loneliness.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- An aging nation: the older population in the United States, Current Population Reports, P25-1140. U.S. Census Bureau, Washington, D.C.https://www.census.gov/library/publications/2014/demo/p25-1140.htmlDate accessed: May 28, 2022
- Perceived social isolation, evolutionary fitness and health outcomes: a lifespan approach.Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2015; 37020140114https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2014.0114
- The risks of social isolation.Monit Psychol. 2020; 50: 5
- Meeting the social needs of older adults in rural areas.JAMA Health Forum. 2020; 1 (e201411-e201411)https://doi.org/10.1001/jamahealthforum.2020.1411
- Loneliness and quality of life in chronically ill rural older adults.Am J Nurs. 2013; 113: 28-38https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NAJ.0000434169.53750.14
- American community survey: ACS demographic and housing estimates.https://data.census.gov/cedsci/table?q=DP05#Date accessed: May 28, 2022
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, & Medicine. Social isolation and loneliness in older adults. Accessed May 28, 2022. https://doi:10.17226/25663
- The PRISMA 2020 statement: an updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews.BMJ. 2021; 372: n71https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.n71
- Developing a measure of loneliness.J Pers Assess. 1978; 42: 290-294https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4203_11
- A 6-Item scale for overall, emotional, and social loneliness.Res Aging. 2006; 28: 582-598https://doi.org/10.1177/0164027506289723
- The development of a Rasch-type loneliness scale.Appl Psychol Meas. 1985; 9: 289-299https://doi.org/10.1177/014662168500900307
- Manual of the loneliness scale.https://home.fsw.vu.nl/tg.van.tilburg/manual_loneliness_scale_1999.htmlDate accessed: May 28, 2022
- Thwarted belongingness and perceived burdensomeness: construct validity and psychometric properties of the Interpersonal Needs Questionnaire.Psychol Assess. 2012; 24: 197-215https://doi.org/10.1037/a0025358
- A smart-home system to unobtrusively and continuously assess loneliness in older adults.IEEE J Transl Eng Health Med. 2016; 42800311https://doi.org/10.1109/JTEHM.2016.2579638
- Spiritual pain in meals on wheels' clients.Healthcare (Basel). 2015; 3: 917-932https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare3040917
- Association of alcohol use and loneliness frequency among middle-aged and older adult drinkers.J Aging Health. 2016; 28: 267-284https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264315589579
- Depressive symptoms in the oldest-old: the role of sensory impairments.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2018; 78: 249-254https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2018.07.009
- Regional tau pathology and loneliness in cognitively normal older adults.Transl Psychiatry. 2018; 8: 282https://doi.org/10.1038/s41398-018-0345-x
- Association of higher cortical amyloid burden with loneliness in cognitively normal older adults.JAMA Psychiatry. 2016; 73: 1230-1237https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2016.2657
- In-home technology training among socially isolated older adults: findings from the Tech Allies program.J Appl Gerontol. 2021; 40: 489-499https://doi.org/10.1177/0733464820910028
- Study of independent living residents of a continuing care senior housing community: sociodemographic and clinical associations of cognitive, physical, and mental health.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2019; 27: 895-907https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2019.04.002
- Geriatric assessments and association with VACS index among HIV-infected older adults in San Francisco.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016; 72: 534-541https://doi.org/10.1097/QAI.0000000000001009
- Social isolation and loneliness among San Francisco Bay area older adults during the COVID-19 shelter-in-place orders.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2021; 69: 20-29https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.16865
- Social networks and links to isolation and loneliness among elderly HCBS clients.Aging Ment Health. 2016; 20: 485-493https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2015.1021751
- Phone behaviour and its relationship to loneliness in older adults.Aging Ment Health. 2016; 20: 1084-1091https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2015.1060947
- Video-based communication and its association with loneliness, mental health and quality of life among older people during the COVID-19 outbreak.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021; 18: 6284https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18126284
- Peer companionship for mental health of older adults in primary care: a pragmatic, nonblinded, parallel-group, randomized controlled trial.Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2021; 29: 748-757https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jagp.2020.05.021
- Coping with being cooped up: social distancing during COVID-19 among 60+ in the United States.Rev Panam Salud Publica. 2020; 44: e81https://doi.org/10.26633/RPSP.2020.81
- Pet ownership may attenuate loneliness among older adult primary care patients who live alone.Aging Ment Health. 2014; 18: 394-399https://doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2013.837147
- Prevalence of nonmedical problems among older adults presenting to the emergency department.Acad Emerg Med. 2014; 21 (https://doi.org/10.111/acem.12395): 651-658
- Examining functional and social determinants of depression in community-dwelling older adults: implications for practice.Geriatr Nurs. 2014; 35: 236-240https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2014.04.006
- Risk and protective factors of loneliness among older adults: the significance of social isolation and quality and type of contact.Soc Work Public Health. 2021; 36: 128-141https://doi.org/10.1080/19371918.2020.1866140
- COLLAGE 360: a model of person-centered care to promote health among older adults.J Ageing Res Healthc. 2016; 1: 21-30https://doi.org/10.14302/issn.2474-7785.jarh-16-1123
- A mixed-methods evaluation of a nurse-led community-based health home for ethnically diverse older adults with multimorbidity in the adult day health setting.Policy Polit Nurs Pract. 2019; 20: 131-144https://doi.org/10.1177/1527154419864301
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, 2022.https://www.medicaid.gov/state-resource-center/medicaid-state-technical-assistance/health-home-information-resource-center/downloads/hh-overview-fact-sheet.pdfDate accessed: May 28, 2022
- Prioritizing age-friendly domains for transforming a mid-sized American city.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 17: 9103https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17239103
- Perspectives on implementing a multidomain approach to caring for older adults with heart failure.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019; 67: 2593-2599https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.16183
- The relationship of loneliness to end-of-life experience in older Americans: a cohort study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020; 68: 1064-1071https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.16354
- Loneliness in older persons: a predictor of functional decline and death.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 1078-1083https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2012.1993
- Loneliness and mental health outcomes among South Asian older adult immigrants in the United States: a cross-sectional study.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2021; 36: 1423-1435https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.5549
- Associations between nurse-patient interaction and loneliness among cognitively intact nursing home residents – a questionnaire survey.Geriatr Nurs. 2021; 42: 828-832https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2021.04.001
- A conceptual model for aging better together intentionally.J Aging Stud. 2013; 27: 428-442https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaging.2013.10.001
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.