- •Continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) can help identify and manage dysglycemia.
- •Patients who do not meet traditional criteria for CGM use may benefit.
- •Real-time glucose data can motivate lifestyle and dietary changes in some users.
- •CGM is a useful tool in the primary care setting for the assessment and treatment of patients with prediabetes and those with dysglycemia but no known diabetes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- 7. Diabetes technology: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2022.Diabetes Care. 2022; 45: S97-S112
- Effect of continuous glucose monitoring on glycemic control in adults with type 1 diabetes using insulin injections: the DIAMOND randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2017; 317: 371-378https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.19975
- Continuous glucose monitoring vs conventional therapy for glycemic control in adults with type 1 diabetes treated with multiple daily insulin injections: the GOLD randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2017; 317: 379-387https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.19976
- Effect of continuous glucose monitoring on glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes treated with basal insulin: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2021; 325: 2262-2272
- Effect of flash glucose monitoring on glycemic control, hypoglycemia, diabetes-related distress, and resource utilization in the Association of British Clinical Diabetologists (ABCD) Nationwide Audit.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43: 2153-2160
- Real-time continuous glucose monitoring in adults with type 1 diabetes and impaired hypoglycaemia awareness or severe hypoglycaemia treated with multiple daily insulin injections (HypoDE): a multicentre, randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2018; 391: 1367-1377
- Non-adjunctive continuous glucose monitoring for control of hypoglycaemia (COACH): results of a post-approval observational study.Diabet Med. 2022; 39e14739
- Effect of flash glucose monitoring in adults with type 1 diabetes: a nationwide, longitudinal observational study of 14,372 flash users compared with 7691 glucose sensor naive controls.Diabetologia. 2021; 64: 1595-1603
- The impact of continuous glucose monitoring on markers of quality of life in adults with type 1 diabetes: further findings from the DIAMOND randomized clinical trial.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: 736-741
- Quality of life and glucose control after 1 year of nationwide reimbursement of intermittently scanned continuous glucose monitoring in adults living with type 1 diabetes (FUTURE): a prospective observational real-world cohort study.Diabetes Care. 2020; 43: 389-397
- Integrating continuous glucose monitoring into clinical practices and patients’ lives.Diabetes Technol Ther. 2021; 23: S72-S80
- CGM metrics predict imminent progression to type 1 diabetes: Autoimmunity Screening for Kids (ASK) Study.Diabetes Care. 2022; 45: 365-371
- Feasibility of using a factory-calibrated CGM system to diagnose type 2 diabetes.J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2014; 8: 89-94
- Continuous glucose monitoring profiles in healthy nondiabetic participants: a multicenter prospective study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2019; 104: 4356-4364
- Use of continuous glucose monitoring in detecting reactive hypoglycemia in individuals without diabetes.J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2018; 12: 1244-1245
- Start-ups tout continuous glucose monitoring for people without diabetes.JAMA. 2021; 325: 2140-2142
- Blood glucose and subcutaneous continuous glucose monitoring in critically ill horses: a pilot study.PLoS One. 2021; 16: e0247561
- Continuous glucose monitoring as a behavior modification tool.Clin Diabetes. 2020; 38: 126-131
- Use of a real time continuous glucose monitoring system as a motivational device for poorly controlled type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2008; 82: 73-79
- Remote application and use of real-time continuous glucose monitoring by adults with type 2 diabetes in a virtual diabetes clinic.Diabetes Technol Ther. 2021; 23: 128-132
- Primary care and diabetes technologies and treatments.Diabetes Technol Ther. 2021; 23: S143-S158
- Type 2 diabetes management in primary care: the role of retrospective, professional continuous glucose monitoring.Diabetes Spectr. 2018; 31: 279-287
- Utilizing the ambulatory glucose profile to standardize and implement continuous glucose monitoring in clinical practice.Diabetes Technol Ther. 2019; 21: S217-S225
- Clinical targets for continuous glucose monitoring data interpretation: recommendations from the international consensus on time in range.Diabetes Care. 2019; 42: 1593-1603
- Behavior modification in prediabetes and diabetes: potential use of real-time continuous glucose monitoring.J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2019; 13: 271-275
- Rate of post-bariatric hypoglycemia using continuous glucose monitoring: a meta-analysis of literature studies.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2022; 32: 32-39
- Going beyond HbA1c to understand the benefits of advanced diabetes therapies.J Diabetes. 2019; 11: 23-31
- The fallacy of average: how using HbA1c alone to assess glycemic control can be misleading.Diabetes Care. 2017; 40: 994-999
- A misdiagnosis of type 2 diabetes mellitus: using continuous glucose monitoring to improve patient-centered care.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2022; 62: 281-284
- Time-in-range for monitoring glucose control: is it time for a change?.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2021; 177108917
- Beyond A1C-standardization of continuous glucose monitoring reporting: why it is needed and how it continues to evolve.Diabetes Spectr. 2021; 34: 102-108
- Minimizing glucose excursions (GEM) with continuous glucose monitoring in type 2 diabetes: a randomized clinical trial.J Endocr Soc. 2020; 4: 1-7
- Efficacy of real-time continuous glucose monitoring to improve effects of a prescriptive lifestyle intervention in type 2 diabetes: a pilot study.Diabetes Ther. 2019; 10: 509-522
- Continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) is a tool, not a reward: unjustified insurance coverage criteria limit access to CGM.Diabetes Technol Ther. 2021; 23: S45-S55
- What’s wrong with this picture? A critical review of current Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services coverage criteria for continuous glucose monitoring.Diabetes Technol Ther. 2021; 23: 652-660
- Utilizing continuous glucose monitoring in primary care practice: what the numbers mean.Prim Care Diabetes. 2021; 15: 199-207
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Funding: Paul Kapsar received an unrestricted equipment grant from Dexcom .
Conflicts of Interest: Paul Kapsar is the owner of SilverArc APN, a primary care practice in Las Vegas, NV. Christy Chao and Tomas Walker are employees of Dexcom.