- •Care coordination is a critical strategy to promote patient safety and well-being.
- •Clinicians can initiate relationships with community agencies to develop referral guidelines.
- •Clinicians can create a referral network of specialists with whom the nurse practitioner is familiar.
- •Clinicians can strive toward a shared health record to transfer, communicate, and track health information.
- •Clinicians should be attuned to the care coordination process to assess the quality of care and optimize patient health outcomes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Chronic Diseases in America.(Updated January 12, 2021)https://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/resources/infographic/chronic-diseases.htmDate accessed: January 22, 2022
- National Center for Excellence in Primary Care Research. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Care Coordination.(Updated August 2018)https://www.ahrq.gov/ncepcr/care/coordination.htmlDate accessed: January 22, 2022
- It’s really overwhelming”: patient perspectives on care coordination.J Am Board Fam Med. 2018; 31: 682-690https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2018.05.180034
- Care Coordination Models and Tools: A Systematic Review and Key Informant Interviews.Department of Veterans Affairs (US), Washington (DC)June 2020
- Care fragmentation, quality, and costs among chronically ill patients.Am J Manag Care. 2015; 21: 355-362
- Lost in transition: a qualitative study of patients discharged from hospital to skilled nursing facility.J Gen Intern Med. 2019; 34: 102-109https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-018-4695-0
- Health information technology to improve care for people with multiple chronic conditions.Health Serv Res. 2021; 56: 1006-1036https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.13860
- An innovative approach to health care delivery for patients with chronic conditions.Popul Health Manag. 2017; 20: 23-30https://doi.org/10.1089/pop.2016.0076
- Impact of complex care management on spending and utilization for high-need, high-cost Medicaid patients.Am J Manag Care. 2020; 26: e57-e63https://doi.org/10.37765/ajmc.2020.42402
- Association between patients’ self-reported gaps in care coordination and preventable adverse outcomes: a cross-sectional survey.J Gen Intern Med. 2020; 35: 3517-3524https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-020-06047-y
- Types and origins of diagnostic errors in primary care settings.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 418-425https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.2777
- Medical errors related to discontinuity of care from an inpatient to an outpatient setting.J Gen Intern Med. 2003; 18: 646-651https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1497.2003.20722.x
- Continuity and coordination of care: a practice brief to support implementation of the WHO Framework on integrated people-centred health services. World Health Organization.(Updated 2018)https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/274628Date accessed: January 22, 2022
- Healthcare system supports for young adult patients with pediatric onset chronic conditions: a qualitative study.J Pediatr Nurs. 2015; 30: 126-132https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2014.09.015
- Center for Accelerating Care Transformation. Care Coordination Model.https://www-delta.kpwashingtonresearch.org/application/files/8016/3111/1974/Model_Care_Coordination.pdfDate accessed: February 20, 2022
- Improving care coordination in primary care.Med Care. 2014; 52: S33-S38https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000000197
- 6. Glycemic Targets: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2022.Diabetes Care. 2022; 45: S83-S96https://doi.org/10.2337/dc22-S006
- Care Management – An Implementation Guide for Primary Care Practices. Updated November 2019.https://www.ahrq.gov/evidencenow/tools/care-management.htmlDate accessed: January 22, 2022
- Coordinating Care for Adults With Complex Care Needs in the Patient-Centered Medical Home: Challenges and Solutions. White Paper. AHRQ Publication No. 12-0010. January 2012.https://www.ahrq.gov/sites/default/files/wysiwyg/ncepcr/tools/PCMH/coordinating-care-for-adults-with-complex-care-needs-white-paper.pdfDate accessed: January 22, 2022
- Use of chronic care management among primary care clinicians.Ann Fam Med. 2020; 18: 455-457https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.2573
- EHRs: the challenge of making electronic data usable and interoperable.P T. 2017; 42: 572-575
- The coordination toolkit and coaching project: cluster-randomized quality improvement initiative to improve patient experience of care coordination.J Gen Intern Med. 2022; 37: 95-103https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-021-06926-y
- Closing the loop on electronic referrals: a quality improvement initiative using the care coordination model.J Ambul Care Manage. 2020; 43: 71-80https://doi.org/10.1097/JAC.0000000000000315
- Chartbook on Care Coordination: National Healthcare Quality and Disparities Report.(Updated June 2018)https://www.ahrq.gov/sites/default/files/wysiwyg/research/findings/nhqrdr/chartbooks/carecoordination/qdr2015-chartbook-carecoordination.pdfDate accessed: January 22, 2022
- Teamwork in healthcare: key discoveries enabling safer, high-quality care.Am Psychol. 2018; 73: 433-450https://doi.org/10.1037/amp0000298
- Chronic disease management: what will it take to improve care for chronic illness.Eff Clin Pract. 1998; 1: 2-4
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the author reports no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.