- •Adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM) reported moderate to significant diabetes distress.
- •Adolescents with T1DM have increased emotional burden related to diabetes management.
- •Adolescents with T1DM are at increased risk for long-term complications and worsening health outcomes.
- •Adolescent females with T1DM reported increased difficulty with interpersonal relationships.
- •An online diabetes distress scale may be an effective tool for identifying diabetes distress among adolescents with T1DM.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Avoidant coping and diabetes-related distress: pathways to adolescents’ type 1 diabetes outcomes.Health Psychol. 2017; 36: 236-244https://doi.org/10.1037/hea0000445
- Diabetes distress or major depressive disorder? A practical approach to diagnosing and treating psychological comorbidities of diabetes.Diabetes Ther. 2017; 8: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1007/s13300-017-0231-1
- Addressing diabetes distress in clinical care: a practical guide.Diabet Med. 2019; 36: 803-812https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.13967
- Targeting diabetes distress: the missing piece of the successful type 1 diabetes management puzzle.Diabetes Spectr. 2014; 27: 143-149https://doi.org/10.2337/diaspect.27.2.143
- Diabetes distress among adolescents with type 1 diabetes: a systematic review.Curr Diabetes Rep. 2016; 16: 1-14https://doi.org/10.1007/s11892-015-0694-2
- Assessing psychosocial distress in diabetes: development of the Diabetes Distress Scale.Diabetes Care. 2005; 28: 626-631https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.28.3.626
- Children and adolescents: standards in medical care in diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2022; 45: s208-s231https://doi.org/10.2337/dc22-S014
- Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap)—a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- REDCap Consortium. The REDCap consortium: building an international community of software partners.J Biomed Inform. 2019; 95103208https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2019.103208
- Diabetes and depression.Curr Diabetes Rep. 2014; 14: 1-17https://doi.org/10.1007/s11892-014-0491-3
- Diabetes distress is more strongly associated with HbA1C than depressive symptoms in adolescents with type 1 diabetes: results from Diabetes MILES Youth Australia.Pediatr Diabetes. 2017; 19: 840-847https://doi.org/10.1111/pedi.12641
- Diabetes distress in males and females with type 1 diabetes in adolescence and early adulthood.J Diabetes Complic. 2016; 30: 1500-1505https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2016.08.013
- Adolescent life with diabetes—gender matters for level of distress. Experiences from the national TODS study.Pediatr Diabetes. 2016; 18: 651-659https://doi.org/10.1111/pedi.12478
- Diabetes distress in adolescents and young adults living with type 1 diabetes.Can J Diabetes. 2020; 44: P537-P540https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcjd.2020.03.001
- Diabetes distress scale (DDS).https://diabetesdistress.org/dds-introDate: 2017
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.