- •Unnecessary laboratory tests are the leading expenditure to the US health care budget.
- •Overordering contributes to overdiagnosis and incidental findings.
- •The laboratory test ordering checklist can reduce overuse rates of comprehensive metabolic panel, lipid, and hemoglobin A1c tests.
- •Improvements in laboratory test ordering can reduce health care costs, enhance practice efficiencies, and promote evidence-based care.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Explaining variations in test ordering in primary care: protocol for a realist review.BMJ Open. 2018; 8e023117https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-023117
- The effectiveness of interventions to improve laboratory requesting patterns among primary care physicians: a systematic review.Implement Sci. 2015; 10: 167https://doi.org/10.1186/s13012-015-0356-4
- Towards better test utilization - strategies to improve physician ordering and their impact on patient outcomes.EJIFCC. 2015; 26: 15-30
- Evidence-based guidelines to eliminate repetitive laboratory testing.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 1833-1839https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.5152
- The Choosing Wisely campaign - don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.Diagnosis (Berl). 2016; 3: 13-16https://doi.org/10.1515/dx-2016-0006
- Overtesting and undertesting in primary care: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ Open. 2018; 8e018557https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2017-018557
- Primary care physicians' challenges in ordering clinical laboratory tests and interpreting results.J Am Board Fam Med. 2014; 27: 268-274https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2014.02.130104
- Overtreatment in the United States.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0181970https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0181970
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the author reports no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.