- •Health disparities and health literacy are important concepts.
- •Racial disparities have been identified in relation to an individual’s knowledge about the HPV vaccine.
- •HPV vaccination with the correct use of condoms and other barrier methods can reduce, but not completely eradicate the prevalence of HPV.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Disparities in HPV vaccination rates and HPV prevalence in the United States: a review of the literature.Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2019; 15: 146-155https://doi.org/10.1080/21645515.2018.1512453
- Genital HPV infection—fact sheet.https://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv.htmDate: 2021Date accessed: December 1, 2021
- Association between human papillomavirus vaccine status and sexually transmitted infection outcomes among females aged 18–35 with a history of sexual activity in the United States: a population survey-based cross-sectional analysis.Vaccine. 2020; 38: 8396-8404
- Disparities and reverse disparities in HPV vaccination: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Prev Med. 2019; 123: 197-203https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2019.03.037
- Retail clinic nurse practitioner knowledge, barriers, and practice recommendations: human papillomavirus vaccine.J Nurse Pract. 2017; 13: 241-244https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2016.12.013
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine knowledge, attitudes, and uptake in college students: implications from the precaution adoption process model.PLoS ONE. 2017; 12https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0182266
- 2015 STD treatment guidelines: Human papillomavirus (HPV) infection.https://www.cdc.gov/std/tg2015/hpv.htmDate: 2015Date accessed: January 2, 2022
- Cost-effectiveness of interventions to increase HPV vaccine uptake.Pediatrics. 2020; 146https://doi.org/10.1542/PEDS.2020-0395
- Healthy People 2030: Reduce infections due to human papillomavirus (HPV) types prevented by the 9-valent vaccine in young adults.https://health.gov/healthypeople/objectives-and-data/browse-objectives/infectious-disease/reduce-infections-hpv-types-prevented-vaccine-young-adults-iid-07Date: 2020Date accessed: November 15, 2021
- Health Literacy.2020https://www.cdc.gov/healthliteracy/learn/index.htmlDate accessed: March 7, 2022
- Human papillomavirus infection and cervical cancer: epidemiology, screening, and vaccination-review of current perspectives.J Oncol. 2019; 2019: 3257939https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/3257939
- Screening for cervical cancer with high-risk human papillomavirus testing.JAMA. 2018; 320: 687-705https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.10400
- Key statistics for cervical cancer.https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cervical-cancer/about/key-statistics.htmlDate: 2021Date accessed: October 30, 2021
- HPV knowledge, vaccine status, and health literacy among university students.J Cancer Educ. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-021-01997-1Date accessed: January 31, 2022
- HPV misconceptions among college students: The role of health literacy.J Commun Health. 2018; 43: 1192-1200
- National Action Plan to Improve Health Literacy.2010https://health.gov/our-work/national-health-initiatives/health-literacy/national-action-plan-improve-health-literacyDate accessed: November 10, 2021
- Educating healthcare providers to increase Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination rates: a qualitative systematic review.Vaccine X. 2019; 3: 100037
- WIHI: Health Literacy: New Skills for Health Professionals.2011http://www.ihi.org/resources/Pages/AudioandVideo/WIHIHealthLiteracy.aspxDate accessed: March 20, 2022
- Use and effectiveness of the teach-back method in patient education and health outcomes.Federal Pract. 2019; 36: 284-289
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Health literacy universal precautions toolkit, 2nd edition: Use the teach-back method: Tool #5. 2020. https://www.ahrq.gov/health-literacy/improve/precautions/tool5.html
- Ten years of human papilloma virus vaccination in the United States.Acad Pediatr. 2018; 18: S3-S10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2017.09.014
- Racial disparities in HPV-related knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs among African American and White Women in the USA.J Cancer Educ. 2019; 34: 66-72https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-017-1268-6
- Health literacy and meeting breast and cervical cancer screening guidelines among Asians and Whites in California.SpringerPlus. 2015; 4: 432
- Barriers to human papillomavirus vaccination among US adolescents: a systematic review of the literature.JAMA Pediatr. 2014; 168: 76-82https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2013.2752
- HPV literacy and associated factors among Hmong American immigrants: implications for reducing cervical cancer disparity.J Commun Health. 2016; 41: 603-611https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-015-0135-9
- Human papillomavirus, and health decision-making: perceptions and accountability in college.Health Educ J. 2020; 79: 46-57https://doi.org/10.1177/0017896919862309
- School entry requirements for HPV vaccine.http://hpvroundtable.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/05_School_Entry_Requirements_for_HPV_Vaccination_WEB_updated.pdfDate accessed: February 2, 2022
- Race, ethnicity, and income factors impacting human papillomavirus vaccination rates.Clin Ther. 2014; 36: 24-37https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinthera.2013.11.001
- Disparities in human papillomavirus vaccine literacy and vaccine completion among Asian American Pacific Islander undergraduates: implications for cancer health equity.J Am Coll Health. 2015; 63: 316-323https://doi.org/10.1080/07448481.2015.1031237
- The Health Promotion Model.University of Michigan, 2011https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/85350/HEALTH_PROMOTION_MANUAL_Rev_5-2011.pdf
- An act to enhance citizen access to government information and services by establishing that government documents issues to the public must be written clearly, and for other purposes [Plain Writing Act]. 5 USC §105 (2010).https://www.govinfo.gov/app/details/PLAW-111publ274Date accessed: January 31, 2022
- Understanding and responding to health literacy as a social determinant of health.Ann Rev Public Health. 2021; 42: 159-173
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.