- •Parkinson disease (PD) leads to many noticeable motor and nonmotor symptoms.
- •Pharmacologic treatments for PD symptoms have been found to be especially helpful when combined with nonpharmacologic approaches.
- •Cannabidiol has been used for PD symptom management.
- •However, more human model randomized clinical trials are needed for cannabidiol use in PD.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Parkinson’s disease: clinical features and diagnosis.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2008; 79: 368-376
- Non-Movement Symptoms.https://www.parkinson.org/Understanding-Parkinsons/Non-Movement-SymptomsDate accessed: January 16, 2022
- Parkinson’s disease in adults: diagnosis and management. NICE guideline NG71.July 2017https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng71/evidence/full-guideline-pdf-4538466253Date accessed: January 16, 2022
- Lewy body dementias: dementia with Lewy bodies and Parkinson disease dementia.Continuum. 2016; 22: 435-463https://doi.org/10.1212/CON.0000000000000309
- What is Parkinson’s? Causes.https://www.parkinson.org/Understanding-Parkinsons/CausesDate accessed: November 11, 2021
- Is cannabidiol the ideal drug to treat non-motor Parkinson’s disease symptoms?.Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2019; 269: 121-133https://doi.org/10.1007/s00406-019-00982-6
- Antiparkinson drug adherence and its association with health care utilization and economic outcomes in a Medicare Part D population.Value Health. 2014; 17: 196-204https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jva1.2013.12.003
- Clinical problems in the hospitalized Parkinson’s disease patient: systematic review.Mov Disord. 2011; 26: 197-208
- Update on treatments for nonmotor symptoms of Parkinson’s disease—an evidence-based medicine review.Mov Disord. 2019; 34: 180-198https://doi.org/10.1002/mds.27602
- Nichtmedikamentöse Therapieverfahren beim Morbus Parkinson [Nonpharmacological treatment procedures for Parkinson’s disease].Nervenarzt. 2017; 88: 383-390https://doi.org/10.1007/s00115-017-0298-y
- Diagnosis and treatment of Parkinson disease: a review.JAMA. 2020; 323: 548-560https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2019.22360
- Cannabis: are there any benefits?.Intern Med J. 2020; 50: 1326-1332https://doi.org/10.1111/imj.15052
- Clinicians’ guide to cannabidiol and hemp oils.Mayo Clin Proc. 2019; 94: 1840-1851https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2019.01.003
- 14% of Americans Say They Use CBD Products.Gallup. August 7, 2019;https://news.gallup.com/poll/263147/americans-say-cbd-products.aspxDate accessed: December 1, 2021
- Biological bases for a possible effect of cannabidiol in Parkinson’s disease.Braz J Psychiatry. 2020; 42: 218-224https://doi.org/10.1590/1516-4446-2019-0460
- Effects of cannabidiol in the treatment of patients with Parkinson’s disease: an exploratory double-blind trial.J Psychopharmacol. 2014; 28: 1088-1098https://doi.org/10.1177/0269881114550355
- Safety and tolerability of cannabidiol in Parkinson disease: an open label, dose-escalation study.Cannabis Cannabinoid Res. 2020; 5: 326-336https://doi.org/10.1089/can.2019.0068
- Cannabis and its derivatives for the use of motor symptoms in Parkinson’s disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ther Adv Neurol Disord. 2021; 1417562864211018561https://doi.org/10.1177/17562864211018561
- Epidiolex (cannabidiol).https://www.epidiolex.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/1021/EPX-03633-1021_EPIDIOLEX_(cannabidiol)_USPI.pdfDate accessed: January 16, 2022
- Neuroprotective and symptomatic effects of cannabidiol in an animal model of Parkinson’s disease.Int J Mol Sci. 2021; 22: 8920https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms22168920
- Parkinson’s Foundation Consensus Statement on the Use of Medical Cannabis for Parkinson’s Disease.(Published 2020)https://www.parkinson.org/sites/default/files/Medical%20Cannabis%20Statement_FINALv2_2.pdfDate accessed: December 1, 2021
- Cannabidiol products: review of the regulatory and clinical considerations.J Nurse Pract. 2020; 16: 747-755https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2020.07.022
- Natural cannabinoids improve dopamine neurotransmission and tau and amyloid pathology in a mouse model of tauopathy.J Alzheimers Dis. 2013; 35: 525-539
- Cannabis (medical marijuana) treatment for motor and non-motor symptoms of Parkinson disease: an open-label observational study.Clin Neuropharmacol. 2014; 37: 41-44
- Drug interaction report.https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=2758-0,515-250Date accessed: February 24, 2022
- What are the benefits of CBD—and is it safe to use?.(Published December 18, 2020)https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/consumer-health/expert-answers/is-cbd-safe-and-effective/faq-20446700Date accessed: February 24, 2022
Funding: This project was supported by a Seattle University College of Nursing Seed Grant.
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.