- •Advanced practice nurses (APNs) globally are addressing most of the United Nation’s (UN’s) Sustainable Development Goal 3 (SDG3) targets.
- •This review highlights where and how APNs are practicing in a wide variety of contexts with exceptional outcomes globally.
- •Work needs to be done to ensure APNs make further contributions beyond clinical practice to meet all UN SDG 3 targets.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- State of the world’s nursing 2020: investing in education, jobs and leadership.https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789240003279Date: 2020Date accessed: March 23, 2022
- How many countries have NP/APN roles? International Council of Nurses.http://international.aanp.org/home/faqDate: 2020Date accessed: March 24, 2021
- The Sustainable Development Agenda.http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/development-agenda/Date: 2016Date accessed: October 11, 2021
- Goal 3 Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/health/Date: 2022Date accessed: January 11, 2022
- Development Data and Outreach Branch. SDG Indicators. Metadata repository.https://unstats.un.org/sdgs/metadata/Date: 2020Date accessed: April 1, 2021
- Patients’ satisfaction with the care offered by advanced practice nurses: a new role in Swedish primary care.Int J Nurs Pract. 2013; 19: 326-333https://doi.org/10.1111/ijn.12072
- A systematic review of the effectiveness of advanced practice nurses in long-term care.J Adv Nurs. 2013; 69: 2148-2161https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.12140
- Cost-effectiveness of nurse practitioners in primary and specialised ambulatory care: systematic review.BMJ Open. 2015; 5e007167https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2014-007167
- The impact of full practice authority for nurse practitioners and other advanced practice registered nurses in Ohio.RAND Corporation, 2015
- Advanced practice nurse outcomes 1990–2008: a systematic review.Nurs Econ. 2011; 29 (quiz 251): 230-250
- Quality of primary care by advanced practice nurses: a systematic review.Int J Qual Health Care. 2015; 27: 396-404https://doi.org/10.1093/intqhc/mzv054
- Nursing and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a COVID-19 world: the state of the science and a call for nursing to lead.Public Health Nurs. 2020; 37: 799-805https://doi.org/10.1111/phn.12776
- The ICN Global Nursing Leadership Institute: integrating the SDGs into leadership and policy development.AJN Am J Nurs. 2021; 121: 54-58https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NAJ.0000803204.19511.8a
- Nurses and midwives as global partners to achieve the sustainable development goals in the anthropocene.J Nurs Scholar. 2021; 53: 552-560https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12672
- Health workforce demography: a framework to improve understanding of the health workforce and support achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.Human Resources Health. 2020; 18 (article 7)https://doi.org/10.1186/s12960-020-0445-6
American Association of Nurse Practitioners. Occupational and Environmental Health Specialty Practice Group. 202.0 Accessed January 28, 2022. https://www.aanp.org/membership/aanp-communities/environment-health-spg
- Advanced practice nursing: a strategy for achieving universal health coverage and universal access to health.Revista Lat Am Enfermagem. 2017; 25 (e2826-e2826)https://doi.org/10.1590/1518-8345.1677.2826
- Labor intervention and outcomes in women who are nulliparous and obese: comparison of nurse-midwife to obstetrician intrapartum care.J Midwifery Womens Health. 2017; 62: 29-39https://doi.org/10.1111/jmwh.12579
- Implementing respiratory integrated care: the future for COPD diagnosis and management?.Int J Integrated Care. 2017; 17: A521https://doi.org/10.5334/ijic.3841
- Evaluation of a nurse practitioner–physician task-sharing model for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in South Africa.PloS One. 2017; 12 (e0182780-e0182780)https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0182780
- Outcomes of an advanced practice nurse-led continuing care program in people with heart failure.Pacific Rim Int J Nurs Res. 2019; 23: 32-46https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&AuthType=sso&db=ccm&AN=133461327&site=ehost-live&custid=s2775460
- Chemotherapy intravenously in children with cancer at home, the nurse practitioner makes it possible!.Support Care Cancer. 2019; 27: 4389-4391https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-019-05053-z
- The future of child health services: new models of care. Nuffield Trust.https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/research/the-future-of-child-health-services-new-models-of-careDate: 2016Date accessed: March 23, 2022
- Knowledge and practices relating to acute pesticide poisoning among health care providers in selected regions of Tanzania.Environ Health Insights. 2017; 11https://doi.org/10.1177/1178630217691268
- Economic evaluation of nurse practitioner and clinical nurse specialist roles: a methodological review.Int J Nurs Studies. 2017; 72: 71-82https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2017.04.012
- More timely assessment and treatment: client advocacy and challenging stigma are priorities for an NP working in mental health and addiction.Kai Tiaki Nurs N Z. 2019; 25: 14-15https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&AuthType=sso&db=ccm&AN=136643800&site=ehost-live&custid=s2775460
- Supervisors’ perceptions regarding the Zambian HIV nurse practitioner program and integrating graduates into the Zambian health system: a descriptive cross-sectional survey.J Nurs Educ Pract. 2016; 6: 140
- NAPNAP urges youth to avoid e-cigarettes/vaping. National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners.https://www.napnap.org/napnap-urges-youth-avoid-e-cigarettesvapingDate: 2019Date accessed: January 31, 2022
- Qualitative evaluation of trauma delays in road traffic injury patients in Maringá, Brazil.BMC Health Services Res. 2017; 17: 804
- Effectiveness of the Strengthening Diabetes Care Program: a randomized controlled trial with Thai nurse practitioners.Pacific Rim Int J Nurs Res. 2019; 23: 18-31
- Independent travel clinic.2020https://www.rcn.org.uk/clinical-topics/public-health/the-role-of-nursing-staff-in-public-health/independent-travel-clinicDate accessed: January 29, 2022
- Guidelines on advanced practice nursing.International Council of Nurses, 2020https://www.icn.ch/system/files/documents/2020-04/ICN_APN%20Report_EN_WEB.pdfDate accessed: March 23, 2022
- The Development of a Nurse Practitioner–Led Sexual Health Clinic on Prince Edward Island.University of Prince Edward Island, 2018https://islandscholar.ca/islandora/object/ir:21976/datastream/PDF/viewDate accessed: March 23, 2022
- Nursing model of care for viral hepatitis management in South Australia.SA Health, Government of South Australia, 2017https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/f5dc9e63-ad02-4d51-801c-164efc46143d/NursingMOCViralHepatitisManagementSA-CDCB-04122017.pdf?MOD=AJPERES& CACHEID=ROOTWORKSPACE-f5dc9e63-ad02-4d51-801c-164efc46143d-niQKULG
- Neonatal nursing expertise on show in New Zealand.Kai Tiaki Nurs N Z. 2019; 25: 26-27
- Role of the pediatric nurse practitioner in enhancing vaccination rates.AACN Adv Crit Care. 2019; 30: 278-281https://doi.org/10.4037/aacnacc2019992
- Community nursing services during the COVID-19 pandemic: the Singapore experience.Br J Commun Nurs. 2020; 25: 390-395https://doi.org/10.12968/bjcn.2020.25.8.390
- A nurse practitioner-led intervention for runaway adolescents who have been sexually assaulted or sexually exploited: effects on trauma symptoms, suicidality, and self-injury.Child Abuse Neglect. 2019; 90: 99-107https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2019.01.023
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.