- •Lack of a formal advanced practice provider (APP) orientation and onboarding has been found to contribute to APP dissatisfaction and high turnover rates.
- •An evaluation of an APP orientation process was obtained through online surveys and completed at 3 time periods: 1, 3, and 6 months from the start date.
- •By using the Plan-Do-Seek-Ask quality improvement methodology, identification of contributing factors to an unsatisfactory APP orientation were identified.
- •By streamlining the APP orientation process, APPs were set up for success and sooner acclimated to the organization’s culture and values.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Hiring new staff? Aim for success by onboarding.J Med Pract Manage. 2015; 31: 96-98
- A Comprehensive onboarding and orientation plan for neurocritical care advanced practice providers.J Neurosci Nurs. 2018; 50: 157-160https://doi.org/10.1097/JNN.0000000000000359
- Orienting and onboarding clinical nurse specialists: a process improvement project.Clin Nurse Spec. 2017; 31: 163-168https://doi.org/10.1097/NUR.0000000000000294
- Emerging practices in onboarding programs for PAs: program content.JAAPA. 2020; 33: 38-42https://doi.org/10.1097/01.JAA.0000694968.61482.e6
- Nurse practitioner and physician assistant onboarding in a family medicine practice.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2022; 34: 522-528https://doi.org/10.1097/JXX.0000000000000611
- Emerging practices in onboarding programs for PAs: strategies for onboarding.JAAPA. 2021; 34: 32-38https://doi.org/10.1097/01.JAA.0000723932.21395.74
- Newcomer adjustment during organizational socialization: a meta-analytic review of antecedents, outcomes, and methods.J Appl Psychol. 2007; 92: 707-721https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.92.3.707
- Get the full value from your advanced practice providers. Advisory Board.(Updated May 15, 2019)https://www.advisory.com/Topics/Care-Teams/2019/05/advanced-practice-providersDate accessed: May 20, 2021
- Emerging practices in onboarding programs for PAs and NPs.JAAPA. 2020; 33: 40-46https://doi.org/10.1097/01.JAA.0000654016.94204.2e
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.