- •Advance practice registered nurses (APRNs) self-reported a lack of confidence in 7 of 8 business/operational skill sets.
- •Maintaining daily business operations reflected the greatest confidence.
- •The establishment of reimbursement services and risk mitigation reflected the least confidence.
- •Prior business owners had significantly higher confidence than those with no experience.
- •APRNs expressed interest for educational access to business and operational skills.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Joint statement on the Institute of Medicine’s progress report on the future of nursing. 2015.https://www.rwjf.org/en/library/articles-and-news/2015/12/statement-on-nursing-report.htmlDate accessed: December 31, 2019
National Academies of Science, Medicine and Engineering. The Future of Nursing 2020-2030: Charting a Path to Achieve Health Equity. Accessed December 31, 2019. https://doi.org/10.17226/25982
- Impact of nurse practitioner practice regulations on rural population health outcomes.Healthcare (Basel). 2018; 6: 65https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare6020065
- Addressing clinician workforce shortages in underserved areas.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2015; 26: 1-4https://doi.org/10.1353/hpu.2015.0027
- AANP-NP fact sheet. 2021.https://storage.aanp.org/www/documents/NPFacts__052721.pdfDate accessed: October 12, 2021
- Entrepreneurship: assessing the readiness of the New Jersey APN workforce.Nurs Adm Q. 2017; 41: 48-55https://doi.org/10.1097/NAQ.0000000000000203
- The effect of entrepreneurship education on self-efficacy beliefs and entrepreneurial intention of nurses.J Clin Diagn Res. 2018; 12: 18-21https://doi.org/10.7860/JCDR/2018/31525.11654
- Making “cents” of the business side of nurse practitioner practice.Nurse Pract. 2016; 41: 1-4https://doi.org/10.1097/01.npr.0000480583.15128.c3
- Entrepreneurship psychological characteristics of nurses.Acta Med Iran. 2016; 54: 595-599
- Thinking about health care differently: nurse practitioners in primary health care as social entrepreneurs.J Prim Health Care. 2018; 10: 331-337https://doi.org/10.1071/HC18053
- Tapping advanced practice registered nurses to meet rising demand for primary care. 2015.http://kff.org/medicaid/issue-brief/tapping-nurse-practitioners-to-meet-rising-demand-for-primary-care/Date accessed: December 31, 2019
- Entrepreneurial nurses in the literature: a systematic literature review.J Nurs Manag. 2021; 29: 905-915https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.13210
- Entrepreneurship and nursing: integrative review.Rev Bras Enferm. 2019; 72: 321-330https://doi.org/10.1590/0034-7167-2018-0498
- The educational gaps of nurses in entrepreneurial roles: an integrative review.J Prof Nurs. 2019; 34: 494-501https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2018.03.004
- Effects of traits, self-motivation and managerial skills on nursing intrapreneurship.Int Entrep Manag J. 2019; 15: 733-748https://doi.org/10.1007/s11365-018-0520-9
- Entrepreneurship in nursing: an integrative literature review.Rev Bras Enferm. 2019; 72: 289-298https://doi.org/10.1590/0034-7167-2017-0523
- Essential nurse practitioner business knowledge: an interprofessional perspective.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2015; 27: 181-184https://doi.org/10.1002/2327-6924.12204
- Basic principles to consider when opening a nurse practitioner-owned practice in Texas.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2015; 27: 683-689https://doi.org/10.1002/2327-6924.12274
- Barriers to nurse entrepreneurship: A study of the process model of entrepreneurship.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2007; 19: 198-204https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2007.00215x
- Decreasing barriers for nurse practitioner social entrepreneurship.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2014; 26: 562-566https://doi.org/10.1002/2327-6924.12126
- Nursing entrepreneurship: motivators, strategies and possibilities for professional advancement and health system change.Nurs Leadersh (Tor Ont). 2013; 26: 29-40https://doi.org/10.12927/cjnl.2013.23450
- Social enterpreneurship education within post-secondary institutions.Papers on Postsecondary Learning and Teaching. 2020; 4: 76-84
- The essentials of doctoral education for advanced nursing practice.(2006. December 31, 2019)
- Nurse practitioner core competencies: A deleniation of suggested content specific to the NP core competencies. 2017.https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.nonpf.org/resource/resmgr/competencies/2017_NPCoreComps_with_Curric.pdfDate accessed: October 20, 2021
- The southern states: NPs made an impact in rural and healthcare shortage areas.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2015; 27: 707-713https://doi.org/10.1002/2327-6924.12245
- Continuing education for primary health care nurse practitioners in Ontario, Canada.Nurse Educ Today. 2013; 33: 353-357https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.07.018
- ∗This study’s content area is formative and must rely on other similarly formative studies that are outside the five year period preferred for article content related to patient care and practice standards.
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.