- •Nurse practitioners (NPs) were surveyed on hospital regulation of practice.
- •Organizations can impose stricter regulations than state requirements.
- •Redundancy in organizational regulation may lead to underuse of NPs.
- •Hospital administrators frequently do not understand the NP role and regulations.
- •Collaborating physicians had the greatest understanding of NP role and regulations
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Practice environments and job satisfaction and turnover intentions of nurse practitioners: implications for primary care workforce capacity.Health Care Manage Rev. 2017; 42: 162-171https://doi.org/10.1097/HMR.0000000000000094
- Comparison of rural and urban utilization of nurse practitioners in states with full practice authority.J Nurse Pract. 2021; 17: 386-393https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2020.12.033
- Implications of the rapid growth of the nurse practitioner workforce in the US.Health Aff (Millwood). 2020; 39: 273-279https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2019.006864
- The pediatric nurse-practitioner program: expanding the role of the nurse to provide increased health care for children.JAMA. 1968; 204: 298-302https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.204.4.298
- Value of nurse practitioner inpatient hospital staffing.Med Care. 2021; 59: 857-863https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000001628
- Domain 2. Workforce Data Needs and Access. Association of Medical School Pediatric Department Chairs.https://amspdc.org/workforce/domain-2/7Date accessed: October 29, 2021
- White paper: critical shortage of pediatric nurse practitioners predicted.J Pediatr Health Care. 2019; 33: 347-355https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedhc.2019.02.008
- The Future of Nursing 2020-2030: Charting a Path to Achieve Health Equity.National Academy of Medicine, 2021https://doi.org/10.17226/25982
- Understanding nurse practitioner scope of practice: regulatory, practice, and employment perspectives now and for the future.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2019; 31: 468-473https://doi.org/10.1097/JXX.0000000000000268
- State Practice Environment.(Updated August 2, 2021)https://www.aanp.org/advocacy/state/state-practice-environmentDate accessed: September 16, 2021
- Regulation of pediatric intensive care unit nurse practitioner practice: a national survey.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2018; 30: 17-26https://doi.org/10.1097/JXX.0000000000000015
- Defining NP scope of practice and associated regulations: focus on acute care.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2012; 24: 11-18https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7599.2011.00683.x
- NP and PA privileging in acute care settings: do scope of practice laws matter?.Med Care Res Rev. 2018; 77: 112-120https://doi.org/10.1177/1077558718760333
- Modernizing scope-of-practice regulations: time to prioritize patients.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 591-593https://doi.org/10.1056/newjmp1911077
- Internet, Phone, Mail and Mixed-Mode Surveys: The Tailored Design Method.Fourth ed. Wiley, 2014
- Where are we now? Practice-level utilization of nurse practitioners in comparison with state-level regulations.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2020; 32: 429-437https://doi.org/10.1097/JXX.0000000000000270
- Organizational facilitators and barriers to optimal APRN practice: an integrative review.Health Care Manage Rev. 2020; 45: 311-320https://doi.org/10.1097/HMR.0000000000000229
- Removing barriers to advanced practice registered nurse care: Hospital privileges. AARP Public Policy Institute.(Published September 2011)https://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/ppi/health-care/insight55.pdfDate accessed: November 8, 2021
- A Legal Primer on Clinical Privileging of Advanced Practice Profession.(Paper presented at: 39th Annual NAMSS Educational Conference and Exhibition, October 3-7, 2015, Seattle, Washington)http://www.namss.org/Portals/0/ConferenceDocuments/2015Conference/2015%20Handouts/MN08.pdfDate accessed: November 8, 2021
- Advance practice provider transformational leadership structure: a model for change.J Nurs Admin. 2021; 51: 340-346https://doi.org/10.1097/NNA.0000000000001024
- Development of the role of director of advanced practice nursing.Nurs Econ. 2010; 28: 58-62
- Department Structure and Leadership Functions for Advanced Practice Providers.Dissertation. Walden University, 2018https://scholarworks.waldenu.edu/dissertations/5747/Date accessed: November 8, 2021
- Successful integration of advanced practice providers into a pediatric academic community intensive care unit.J Pediatr Health Care. 2020; 34: 279-282https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedhc.2020.01.001
- Creating an Organizational Structure that Maximizes Advanced Practice Provider Contributions. Vizient Inc.(Published April 1, 2019)https://newsroom.vizientinc.com/creating-an-organizational-structure-that-maximizes-advanced-practice-provider-contributions.htmDate accessed: September 16, 2021
- Consensus Model for APRN Regulation: Licensure, Accreditation, Certification & Education.(Published July 7, 2008)https://www.nursingworld.org/∼4aa7d9/globalassets/certification/aprn_consensus_model_report_7-7-08.pdfDate accessed: January 6, 2022