- •Post–acute withdrawal syndrome is a risk factor for relapse in patients with a history of a substance use disorder.
- •Providers are in a prime position to identify and treat post–acute withdrawal syndrome in populations with a history of substance use disorder.
- •Literature on post–acute withdrawal syndrome is limited but growing, and the topic is well known in the recovery community.
- Key substance use and mental health indicators in the United States: results from the 2018 national survey on drug use and health. 2019.https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/cbhsq-reports/NSDUHNationalFindingsReport2018/NSDUHNationalFindingsReport2018.pdf
- Detoxification and substance abuse treatment. 2016.
- Drugs, brains, and behavior: the science of addiction. 2018.
- The recognition and management of protracted alcohol withdrawal may improve and modulate the pharmacological treatment of alcohol use disorder.J Psychopharmacol. 2020; 43: 1171-1175https://doi.org/10.1177/0269881120936483
- Post-acute-withdrawal syndrome (PAWS): an in-depth guide. 2020.
- Alcohol withdrawal syndrome.Am Fam Physician. 2004; 69: 1443-1450
Semel J, Semel T. Persistent withdrawal syndromes after detox dual diagnosis program. Semel Institute. UCLA Dual Diagnosis Program Information and Admissions, University of California, Los Angeles; 2020.
- Reward deficiency syndrome. A biogenetic model for the diagnosis and treatment of impulsive, addictive, and compulsive behaviors.J Psychoactive Drugs. 2000; 32: 1-112https://doi.org/10.1080/02792172.2000.10736099
- Brain substrates for increased drug seeking during protracted withdrawal.Neuropharmacology. 2004; 47: 167-179https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropharm.2004.06.020
- Sleep abnormalities associated with alcohol, cannabix, cocaine, and opiate use: a comprehensive review.Addict Sci Clin Pract. 2016; 11 (article 9. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13722-016-0056-7)
- Impaired sleep during the post-alcohol withdrawal period in alcoholic patients.Addict Biol. 2001; 6: 163-169https://doi.org/10.1080/13556210020040244
- Cognitive and behavioural aspects distinct effects of protracted withdrawal on affect, craving, selective attention, and executive functions among alcohol-dependent patients.Alcohol Alcoholism. 2010; 45: 241-246https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/qgq012
- Treatment: withdrawal syndrome.Substance Use Misuse. 2008; 42: 172-284https://doi.org/10.1080/10826080701202429
- The association between self-consciousness, depressive state and craving to drink among alcohol dependent patients undergoing protracted withdrawal.PLOS One. 2013; 8e71560https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0071560
- Acute withdrawal, protracted abstinence and negative affect in alcoholism: are they linked?.Addiction Biol. 2010; 15: 169-184https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1369-1600.2009.00194.x
- Persistent adaptations in the afferents to ventral tegmental dopamine neurons after opiate withdrawal.J Neurosci. 2015; 35: 10290-10303https://doi.org/10.1523/jneurosci.0715-2015
- Cognitive function during early abstinence from opioid independence: a comparison to age, gender, and verbal intelligence matched control.BMC Psychiatry. 2006; 6: 9https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-244X-6-9
- Impaired response inhibition function in abstinent heroin dependents: an fMRI study.Neurosci Lett. 2008; 438: 322-326https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2008.04.033
- Benzodiazepine dependence and its treatment with low dose flumazenil.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2012; 77: 285-294https://doi.org/10.1111/bcp.12023
- How chronic administration of benzodiazepines leads to unexplained chronic illnesses: a hypothesis.Med Hypotheses. 2018; 118: 59-67https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2018.06.019
- Protracted withdrawal syndromes from benzodiazepines.J Subst Abuse Treat. 1991; 8: 19-28https://doi.org/10.1016/0740-5472(91)90023-4
- Protracted benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome mimicking psychotic depression.. 1997; 38: 1600161https://doi.org/10.1016/S0033-3182(97)71493-2
American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 5th ed. 2013. http://doi.org/10.1176/appi.books.978089045596
- Substance use and co-occurring mental disorders. 2021.
- Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with major depressive disorder.3rd ed. American Psychiatric Association, 2010
- Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with panic disorder.2nd ed. American Psychiatric Association, 2010https://psychiatryonline.org/pb/assets/raw/sitewide/practice_guidelines/guidelines/panicdisorder.pdf
- Guidelines for adolescent depression in primary care (GLAD-PC): part I. practice preparation, identification, assessment, and initial management.Pediatrics. 2018; 141e20174081https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-4081
- Clinical guideline for the evaluation and management of chronic insomnia in adults.J Clin Sleep Med. 2008; 04https://doi.org/10.5664/jcsm.27286
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the author reports no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.