- •Prison nurses perceived nurse practitioners to be knowledgeable and skilled as the first point of contact during telephone consultation for patient care. There was a perception that the advice and interventions suggested by nurse practitioners had equivalence to those of physicians in this context.
- •Prison nurses agreed that nurse practitioners were more understanding of the challenges confronting nursing staff in a prison environment. Safe and effective decision-making by nurse practitioners over the telephone was based on thorough and accurate assessment by nursing staff in the prison.
- •The model of care and study results support research and development on improved telehealth interactions to provide confident delivery of care to patients in prison.
- Healthcare delivery for women in prison: a medical record review.Aust J Prim Heal. 2016; 22: 523-529https://doi.org/10.1071/PY15110
- The health of Australia’s prisoners 2018.Australian Government, 2019https://doi.org/10.25816/5ec5c381ed17aDate accessed: October 15, 2021
- Prisoner Health Services in Australia 2012.Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 2014https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/prisoners/prisoner-health-services-in-australia-2012/contents/table-of-contentsDate accessed: October 15, 2021
- Primary care program in prison: a review of the literature.J Correct Health Care. 2017; 23: 147-156https://doi.org/10.1177/1078345817699801
- Nurse prescribing in the custodial setting.Nurse Prescrib. 2018; 16: 558-561
- An inside look at correctional health nursing.Nursing. 2012; 42: 52-56https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NURSE.0000412925.82265.8d
- Lessons learned from examining after-hours call patterns.J Nurse Pract. 2015; 11: 233-239https://doi.org/10.1016/J.NURPRA.2014.07.042
- Implementing two nurse practitioner models of service at an Australian male prison: a quality assurance study.J Clin Nurs. 2017; 27: 287-300https://doi.org/10.1111/JOCN.13935
- Position Statement. Nurse practitioners in primary healthcare. 2016.https://www.racgp.org.au/advocacy/position-statements/view-all-position-statements/health-systems-and-environmental/nurse-practitioners-in-primary-healthcareDate accessed: October 15, 2021
- The implementation of correctional nursing practice–caring behind bars: a grounded theory study.J Adv Nurs. 2021; 77: 2407-2416https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.14772
- Serving the Stigmatized.Oxford University Press, 2018
- Challenges and opportunities for ex-offender support through community nursing.Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol. 2018; 62: 4642-4654https://doi.org/10.1177/03066224X18764854
- Healthcare behind bars: what you need to know.Nurse Pract. 2008; 33: 34-41
- The Nelson Mandela Rules: United Nations Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners. 2015.https://www.un.org/en/events/mandeladay/mandela_rules.shtmlDate accessed: October 15, 2021
- Accessibility of prison health care for elderly inmates: a qualitative assessment.J Forensic Leg Med. 2017; 52: 223-228https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jflm.2017.10.001
- End-of-life care behind bars: a systematic review.Am J Nurs. 2016; 116: 24-36
- Scope of Practice for Nurse Practitioners. 2015.https://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.auDate accessed: January 9, 2022
- Nurse practitioner standards for practice-Effective from March 1, 2021.https://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Codes-Guidelines-Statements/Professional-standards/nurse-practitioner-standards-of-practice.aspxDate accessed: October 15, 2021
- General medical services by non-medical health professionals: a systematic quantitative review of economic evaluations in primary care.Br J Gen Pract. 2019; 69: e304-e313https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgp19X702425
- Collaboration in teams with nurse practitioners and general practitioners during out-of-hours and implications for patient care: a qualitative study.BMC Health Serv Res. 2017; 17: 589https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-017-2548-x
- Understanding NP autonomy.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2015; 27: 95-104https://doi.org/10.1002/2327-6924.12120
- After-hours on-call experience during primary care nurse practitioner education utilizing standard scenarios and simulated patients.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2017; 29: 725-732https://doi.org/10.1002/2327-6924.12526
- Evaluation of an aged care nurse practitioner service: quality of care within a residential aged care facility hospital avoidance service.BMC Health Serv Res. 2017; 17: 13https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-017-1977-x
- Analysing data in qualitative research.in: Schneider Z. Whitehead D. Lobionda-Wood G. Haber J. Nursing and Midwifery Research: Methods and Appraisal for Evidence-Based Practice. Elsevier, 2016: 128-138
- Using thematic analysis in psychology.Qual Res Psychol. 2006; 3: 77-101https://doi.org/10.1191/1478088706QP063OA
- Conducting qualitative research in mental health: thematic and content analyses.Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2015; 49: 616-623https://doi.org/10.1177/0004867415582053
- Nurses and Midwives (Queensland Health) Award—State: 2015-reprint operative 1/9/2021.https://www.qirc.qld.gov.au/sites/default/files/nurses_and_midwives_swc18.pdf?v=1542538772Date accessed: December 10, 2021
- Guide to providing telephone and video consultations in general practice.RACGP LTD, Melbourne2020https://www.racgp.org.au/FSDEDEV/media/documents/Clinical%20Resources/Guidelines/Guide-to-providing-telephone-and-video-consultations.pdfDate accessed: October 15, 2021
- The nurse practitioner role: solution or servant in improving primary health care service delivery.Collegian. 2015; 22: 169-174
- The impact of substituting general practitioners with nurse practitioners on resource use, production, and healthcare costs during out-of-hours: a quasi-experimental study.BMC Fam Pract. 2016; 17: 1-10
- Models of prescribing, scope of practice, and medicines prescribed, a survey of nurse practitioners.J Adv Nurs. 2020; 76: 2311-2322https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.14444
- Ward staff perceptions of the role of the advanced nurse practitioner in a “hospital at day” setting.Br J Nurs. 2018; 27: 92-97
- Exploring scope of practice issues for correctional facility nurses in Montana.J Correct Health Care. 2012; 18: 70-76https://doi.org/10.1177/1078345811421771
- Advanced Nursing Practice-Guidelines for the Australian Context.https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/advanced-nursing-practice-guidelines-for-the-australian-contextDate accessed: January 9, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Funding: Research hours for this study were supported by the Director of Operations, Prison Health Service, Mental Health & Specialised Services, West Moreton Hospital & Health Service , Queensland, Australia.
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors reports no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.