- •Nerve injury during antecubital venipuncture is rare.
- •Injury during antecubital venipuncture may cause paresthesia of the forearm related to lateral antebrachial cutaneous nerve injury.
- •Most of the neuropathic pain following venipuncture nerve injury resolves within 1 week to 6 months.
- Regional anesthesia: upper and lower extremity blocks.in: Nagelhout J. Sass E. Nurse Anesthesia. 6th ed. Elsevier, 2018: 1042-1063
- Blood donation-related neurologic needle injury: evaluation of 2 years’ worth of data from a large blood center.Transfusion. 1996; 36: 213-215https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1537-2995.1996.36396182137.x
- Injury to the lateral cutaneous nerve of forearm after venous cannulation: a case report and literature review.Clin Anat. 2012; 25: 659-662https://doi.org/10.1002/ca.21285
- Peripheral nerve injury and causalgia secondary to routine venipuncture.Neurology. 1994; 44: 962-964https://doi.org/10.1212/wnl.44.5.962
- Venipuncture-related lateral antebrachial cutaneous nerve injury: what to know?.Braz J Anesthesiol. 2014; 64: 131-133https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjane.2013.06.003
- Intravenous catheter complications in the hand and forearm.J Trauma. 2004; 56: 123-127https://doi.org/10.1097/01.TA.0000058126.72962.74
- Venipuncture nerve injuries.Lancet. 1977; 1: 1236-1237https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(77)92442-4
- Incidence and prognosis of persistent pain induced by venipuncture for blood sampling: an observational study over a 5-year period.Pain Med. 2012; 13: 1627-1630https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4637.2012.01490.x
- Complex regional pain syndrome: a review of diagnostics, pathophysiologic mechanisms, and treatment implications for certified registered nurse anesthetists.AANA J. 2011; 79: 505-510
- Treatment of neuropathic pain: an overview of recent guidelines.Am J Med. 2009; 122: S22-S32https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2009.04.007
- Venipuncture-related median nerve palsy disguised as intraoperative brachial plexus injury.Case Rep Neurol. 2021; 13: 361-368https://doi.org/10.1159/000515474
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.