- •Secondary syphilis can be misdiagnosed as other dermatological conditions.
- •Intramuscular penicillin G benzathine, 2.4 million units, is the recommended treatment.
- •All pregnant women should be screened for syphilis.
- •All individuals who test positive for syphilis should be tested for HIV.
- •Because syphilis is a communicable disease, all cases are reportable to the local health department.
- Syphilis—CDC fact sheet detailed. 2021.(Accessed September 15, 2021)
- Missed and delayed syphilis treatment and partner elicitation: a comparison between STD clinic and non-STD clinic patients.Sex Transmit Dis. 2009; 35: 445-451https://doi.org/10.1097/OLQ.0b013e3181a2aa95
- National overview—sexually transmitted disease surveillance, 2019. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, April 2021.(Accessed March 6, 2021)
- HIV Surveillance Report, 2019, vol. 32.(Published May 2021. Accessed August 20, 2021)
- Sexually transmitted infections treatment. guidelines, 2021.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2021; 70 (Accessed August 20, 2021): 1-192
- Positive syphilis serology contributes to intracranial stenosis in ischemic stroke patients.Brain Behav. 2020; 11e01906https://doi.org/10.1002/brb3.1906
- Diagnosis and management of tick-borne Rickettsial diseases: Rocky Mountain spotted fever and other spotted fever groups rickettsioses, ehrlichiosis, and anaplasmosis, United States.MMWR. 2016; 65 (Accessed March 6, 2021): 1-48
- No fever, no murmur, no problem? A concealed case of infective endocarditis.J Emerg Med. 2019; 57: e45-e48https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2019.03.002
- Measles (rubeola). 2020.(Accessed March 6, 2021)https://www.cdc.gov/measles/symptoms/signs-symptoms.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fmeasles%2Fabout%2Fsigns-symptoms.html
- Meningitis. 2019.(Accessed May 3, 2021)
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.