- Wisconsin’s changing climate: Impacts and Adaptation. CleanWisconsin.org. Published 2011. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- The Causes of Climate Change. Updated May 24, 2021. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- Medical Alert: Climate Change is Harming Our Health in Wisconsin. University of Wisconsin Madison. Published October 20, 2020. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- Rural population health and aging: toward a multilevel and multidimensional research agenda for the 2020s.Am J Public Health. 2020; 110: 1328-1331https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2020.305782
- Reducing potentially excess deaths from the five leading causes of death in the rural United States [published correction appears in MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017;66(3):93].MMWR Surveill Summ. 2017; 66: 1-97https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.ss6602a1
- About Rural Health Care. Published 2021. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- Racial/ethnic health disparities among rural adults—United States, 2012–2015.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2017; 66: 1-9https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.ss6623a1
- The education effect on population health: a reassessment.Popul Dev Rev. 2011; 37: 307-332https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1728-4457.2011.00412.x
- Mapping the health information landscape in a rural, culturally diverse region: Implications for interventions to reduce information inequality.J Prim Prev. 2017; 38: 345-362https://doi.org/10.1007/s10935-017-0466-7
- Localized health news releases and community newspapers: a method for rural health promotion.Health Promot Pract. 2015; 16: 492-500https://doi.org/10.1177/1524839915580538
- News Deserts and Ghost Newspapers: Will Local News Survive? University of North Carolina Hussman School of Journalism and Media. Published 2021. Accessed July 2, 2021.
- Courier Sentinel. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- Extreme Heat Toolkit: A planning guide for public health and emergency response professionals. Updated April 2019. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- Natural disasters and severe weather. Protecting Vulnerable Groups from Extreme Heat. Page reviewed June 19, 2017. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- Extreme Heat. Updated May 26, 2021. Accessed May 26, 2021.
- Impacts of climate change on surface water quality in relation to drinking water production.Environ Int. 2009; 35: 1225-1233https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2009.07.001
- Basic information on PFAS. Updated April 6, 2021. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- Climate Change and Health: Climate Change Contaminates Your Water. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- The Connection between Lung Cancer and Outdoor Air Pollution. Published June 21, 2016. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- The Impacts of Climate Change on Human Health in the United States: A Scientific Assessment. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- Extreme Allergies and Climate Change. Published 2010. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- The effects of climate change on respiratory allergy and asthma induced by pollen and mold allergens.J Allergy Clin Immun. 2020; 75: 2219-2228https://doi.org/10.1111/ALL.14476
- Asthma in Wisconsin 2017. Published October 2018. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- Wisconsin Asthma Statistics. Updated October 30, 2020. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- Current Air Quality. Chippewa Falls, WI. Updated May 24, 2021. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- Prevention of Lyme Disease and Other Tick-Borne Diseases to Protect Workers’ and the Public’s Health. Published November 3, 2015. Accessed May 24, 2021.https://www.apha.org/policies-and advocacy/public-health-policy-statements/policy-database/2016/01/07/10/06/prevention-of lyme-disease
- Climate Change Increases the Number of Geographic Range of Disease-Carrying Insects and Ticks. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- Climate Change Indicators: Lyme Disease. Updated May 19, 2021. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- The economic burden of Lyme disease and the cost effectiveness of Lyme disease interventions: a scoping review.PLoS One. 2019; 14: 1-17https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0210280
- Right Under Your Feet: Soil Health and the Climate Crisis. Accessed May 24, 2021.https://www.climaterealityproject.org/sites/climaterealityproject.org/files/Soil%20Health%20and%20Climate%20Change.pdf
- Soil Health Management. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- Environmental Justice & Eco-Social Justice. Accessed May 24. 2021.
- Federal Fair Lending Regulations and Statutes: Fair Housing Act. Published January 2006. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- Climate Change, Health, and Environmental Justice. Published May 2016. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- Bridging climate, health, and equity: A growing imperative.Am J Public Health. 2018; 108: S72-S73https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2017.304133
- Planetary health and the role of nursing: a call to action.J Nurs Scholarsh. 2017; 49: 598-605https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12343
- Climate change, climate justice, and environmental health: Implications for the nursing profession.J Nurs Scholarsh. 2017; 49: 606-616https://doi.org/10.1111/jnu.12326
- Quick Facts. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- What is the Nursing Code of Ethics? Nurse.org. Published September 4, 2020. Accessed May 24, 2021.
- Rural and nonrural primary care physician practices increasingly rely on nurse practitioners.Health Affairs (Millwood). 2018; 37: 908-914https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.1158
- The Essentials: Core Competencies for Professional Nursing Education. Published April 6, 2021. Accessed May 24, 2021.
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Funding: Funding for this project was provided through the Gritzmacher Science Education Fellowship offered through the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire , Arts and Sciences (Summer of 2020).
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.