- •Structured patient education combined with health coaching improves self-care maintenance and self-care management in patients hospitalized with heart failure.
- •Health coaching through face-to-face interaction allows nurse practitioners to interpret patients’ nonverbal communication more easily as they interact with the patients.
- •During health coaching sessions, patients often take more initiative in conducting self-care according to their own needs.
- •The follow-up of patients with heart failure postdischarge should be conducted within the first 7 to 10 days.
Self-care management education is 1 of the recommendations of the European Society of Cardiology given to reduce the readmission rate of patients with heart failure (HF). As 1 of the methods of the educational approach, health coaching has a positive potential in making education effective so that it will improve patient outcomes. This study aimed to identify the effect of self-care management education with health coaching methods on the 30-day readmission rate and outcomes of patients with HF. Providing self-care management education by health coaching may help improve self-care and positively affect outcomes of patients with HF.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal for Nurse Practitioners
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Global public health burden of heart failure.Card Fail Rev. 2017; 3: 7-11
- Heart disease and stroke statistics — 2019 update a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2019; 139: e56-e528
- All-payer analysis of heart failure hospitalization 30-day readmission: comorbidities matter.Am J Med. 2017; 130: 93.e9-93.e28
- Database Informasi RSUP dr.Wahidin Sudirohusodo Makassar, Makassar2018
- The patient perspective: quality of life in advanced heart failure with frequent hospitalisations.Int J Cardiol. 2015; 191: 256-264
- Determining 30-day readmission risk for heart failure patients: the readmission after heart failure scale.Int J Gen Med. 2018; 11: 127-141
- A meta-analysis of hospital 30-day avoidable readmission rates.J Eval Clin Pract. 2012; 18: 1211-1218
- Reducing excess readmissions: promising effect of hospital readmissions reduction program in US hospitals.Int J Qual Heal Care. 2016; 28: 53-58
- Evaluation of a heart failure self-management programme.Br J Card Nurs. 2015; 10: 603-608
- Self-management education and support.Can J Diabetes. 2018; 42: S36-S41
- The effect of a telephone-based self-management program led by nurses on self-care behavior, biological index for cardiac function, and depression in ambulatory heart failure patients.Asian Nurs Res (Korean Soc Nurs Sci). 2018; 12: 251-257
- Readiness to educate patient: Indonesian health professionals' perspective.Glob J Health Sci. 2018; 10: 117
- Scoping the context of programs and services for maintaining wellness of older people in rural areas of Indonesia.Int Nurs Rev. 2014; 61: 310-317
- Barriers and facilitators to self-care in chronic heart failure: a meta-synthesis of qualitative studies.Springerplus. 2013; 2: 1-14
- A systematic review of the literature on health and wellness coaching: defining a key behavioral intervention in healthcare.Glob Adv Health Med. 2013; 2: 38-57
- Professional nurse coaching: advances in national and global healthcare transformation.Glob Adv Health Med. 2013; 2: 10-16
- Health coaching in nurse practitioner-led group visits for chronic care.J Nurse Pract. 2016; 12: 258-264
- The Republic of Indonesia Health System Review. 7. Asia Pacific Observatory on Health Systems and Policies, 2017
- Effect of the self-management education program on the quality of life in people with chronic heart failure: a randomized controlled trial.Electron Physician. 2018; 10: 7028-7037
- An update on the self-care of heart failure index.J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2009; 24: 485-497
- Hubungan antara Self Management dan Kualitas Hidup Pasien Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) di RSUD DR. Moewardi Surakarta (doctoral dissertation, Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta).
- Health coaching. American Medical Association. 2019:1-12.
- Strategies to modify the risk of heart failure readmission.Health Serv Res Manag Epidemiol. 2017; 4 (233339281770105)
- The effect of nurse-led education on hospitalisation, readmission, quality of life and cost in adults with heart failure. A systematic review.Patient Educ Couns. 2018; 101: 363-374
- Trends in 30-day readmission rates for patients hospitalized with heart failure: findings from the Get with the Guidelines-Heart Failure Registry.Circ Heart Fail. 2016; 9e002594
- A systematic review of transitional-care strategies to reduce rehospitalization in patients with heart failure.Heart Lung. 2016; 45: 100-113
- Medication adherence interventions improve heart failure mortality and readmission rates: Systematic review and meta-analysis of controlled trials.J Am Heart Assoc. 2016; 5: 1-19
- Patient education and counseling. The effects of health coaching on adult patients with chronic diseases: a systematic review.Patient Educ Couns. 2014; 97: 147-157
- Health coaching interventions for persons with chronic conditions: a systematic review and meta-analysis protocol.Syst Rev. 2016; 5: 1-7
- Effectiveness and factors determining the success of management programs for patients with heart failure: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Rev Esp Cardiol (Engl Ed). 2016; 69: 900-914
- Factors affecting self-care maintenance and management in patients with heart failure: testing a path model.J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2019; 34: 297-305
- The situation-specific theory of heart failure self-care revised and updated.J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2016; 31: 226-235
- Evaluasi Perubahan Self Care Dan Quality of Life Pada Pasien Chronic Heart Failure (CHF) Yang Diberikan Health Education Programme Di RSP.Universitas Hasanuddin Makassar. JST Kesehat. 2017; 7: 178-184
- Self-care practices and health-seeking behavior among older persons in a developing country: theories-based research.Int J Nurs Sci. 2016; 3: 11-23
- Factors related to self-care among older persons of makassarese tribe, indonesia.Philipp J Nurs. 2014; 84: 24-30
- Timing and clinical predictors of early versus late readmission among patients hospitalized for acute heart failure: insights from Ascend-Hf.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 69: 766
- Diagnoses and timing of 30-day readmissions after hospitalization for heart failure, acute myocardial infarction, or pneumonia.JAMA. 2013; 309: 355-363
- Transitions of care in heart failure: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circ Heart Fail. 2015; 8: 384-409
- Self-management education programs for patients with heart failure: a literature review.Cent Eur J Nurs Midwifery. 2021; 12: 278-293
- Adherence to self-care in patients with heart failure in the HeartCycle study.Patient Prefer Adherence. 2015; 9: 1195-1206
Eli Zuraida, MN, is a cardiac nurse in the cardiac center of Wahidin Sudirohusodo Hospital in Makassar, Indonesia, and a student of the Postgraduate Nursing Program, Department of Medical Surgical Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, Hasanuddin University in Makassar, Indonesia.
Andi Masyitha Irwan, RN, MAN, PhD, is a lecturer in the Department of Gerontological Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, Hasanuddin University and can be reached at [email protected]
Elly Lilianty Sjattar, RN, is the head of the Postgraduate Nursing Program, Faculty of Nursing, Hasanuddin University.
Published online: November 12, 2021
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.
© 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.