- •Frailty syndrome affects 17% of older adults across multiple health domains.
- •Adverse outcomes result from accumulated health deficits in frail older adults.
- •Physiological and psychosocial risk factors are part of comprehensive frailty assessment.
- •Validated frailty risk assessment tools enhance clinical identification and management.
- Screening for and managing the person with frailty in primary care: ICFSR consensus guidelines.J Nutr Heal Aging. 2020; 24 (doi:10.0.3.239/s12603-020-1492-3): 920-927
- Smartphone frailty screening: development of a quantitative early detection method for the frailty syndrome.J Chin Med Assoc. 2020; 83: 1039-1047https://doi.org/10.1097/JCMA.0000000000000409
- An Aging World: 2015 International Population Report. 2016.
- Global incidence of frailty and pre-frailty among community-swelling older adults: asystematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e198398
- Frailty: evaluation and management.Am Fam Physician. 2021; 103: 219-224
- Frailty trajectories to identify end of life: a longitudinal population-based study.BMC Med. 2018; 16: 171https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-018-1148x
- The relationship between frailty, functional dependence, and healthcare needs among community-dweeling people with moderate to severe dementia.Health Soc Care Community. 2019; 27: 642-653https://doi.org/10.1111/hsc.12678
- External validation of the electronic frailty index using the population of Wales within the secure anonymised information linkage databand.Age Ageing. 2019; 48: 922-926https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afz110
- Polypharmacy but not potential inapprpriate prescription was associated with frailty in older adults from a middle-income country outpatient clinic.J Frailty Aging. 2018; 7: 108-112
- AGS Beers criteria for potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019; 67 (doi:10.111/jgs.15767): 674-694
- Frailty index as a predictor of mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Age Ageing. 2018; 47: 193-200https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afx162
- Changes in predictive performance of a frailty index with availability of clinical domains.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020; 68: 1771-1777https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.16436
- Predicting risk and outcomes for frail older adults: an umbrella review of frailty screening tools.JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep. 2017; 15: 1154-1208https://doi.org/10.11124/JBISRIR-2016-003018
- Frailty index predicts poor outcomesin COVID-19 patients.Intensive Care Med. 2020; 46: 1634-1636
- Using the Clinical Frailty Scale in allocating scarce health care resources.Can Geriatr J. 2020; 23: 254https://doi.org/10.5770/cgj.23.463
- Specialised clinical frailty network, CFS APP.https://www.scfn.org.uk/cfs-appDate: 2018Date accessed: October 25, 2021
- International practice guidelines for sarcopenia (ICFSR): screening, diagnosis and management.J Nutr Health Aging. 2018; 22: 1148-1161https://doi.org/10.1007/s12603-018-1139-9
- Geriatric palliative care.Prim Care. 2019; 46: 447-459https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pop.2019.05.007
- Improving patient and caregiver outcomes in oncology: team-based, timely, and targeted palliative care.CA Cancer J Clin. 2018; 68: 356-376https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21490
- Development and evaluation of a new frailty index for older surgical patients with cancer.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.3545
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the author reports no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.