- •Recurring nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea associated with pelvic pain could be associated with endometriosis.
- •Endometriosis is often misdiagnosed, resulting in a delay of true diagnosis and treatment.
- •Diagnostic imaging may include transvaginal ultrasound.
- •Medical management often includes nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, hormonal contraceptives, and, if necessary, surgical removal of lesions.
- Clinical diagnosis of endometriosis: a call to action.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 220: 354.e1-354.e12https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2018.12.039
- Is endometriosis more common and more severe than it was 30 years ago?.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2020; 27: 452-461https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmig.2019.11.018
- Early menstrual characteristics associated with subsequent diagnosis of endometriosis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 202: 534.e1-534.e6https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2009.10.857
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Overview | endometriosis: Diagnosis and management | guidance | nice. www.nice.org. 2017. Accessed July 1, 2021. https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng73.
- Endometriosis.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 1244-1256https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1810764
- Menstrual disorders and pelvic pain.in: Jameson J.L. Fauci A.S. Kasper D.L. Hauser S.L. Longo D.L. Loscalzo J. Harrison’s principles of internal medicine. 20th ed. McGraw-Hill Education, New York, NY2018
- Quick Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2020.McGraw-Hill Education, 2020
- Impact of endometriosis on quality of life and work productivity: a multicenter study across ten countries.Fertil Steril. 2019; 112: E137-E152https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnsted.2019.08.082
- Imaging modalities for the non-invasive diagnosis of endometriosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 2: CD009591
- ESHRE guideline: management of women with endometriosis.Hum Reprod. 2014; 29: 400-412https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/det457
- Clinical management of endometriosis.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 131: 557-571https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000002469
- Use of combined hormonal contraceptives for the treatment of endometriosis-related pain: a systematic review of the evidence.Fertil Steril. 2018; 110: 137-152.e1https://doi.org/10.1016/J.FERTNSTERT.2018.03.01
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.