- •Pediatric dyslipidemia affects approximately 20% of children ages 6 to 19.
- •Familial hypercholesterolemia affects 1 in 200 to 500 individuals.
- •Pediatric atherosclerosis leads to early cardiovascular complications in early adulthood.
- •Screening recommendations are inconsistent.
- •The literature is lacking long-term patient outcomes related to treatment.
- Screening for lipid disorders in children and adolescents: US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.JAMA. 2016; 316: 625-633https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.9852
- Dyslipidemia in children: definition, screening, and diagnosis.UpToDate. 2021;https://www-uptodate-com.proxy-fs.researchport.umd.edu/contents/dyslipidemia-in-children-definition-screening-and-diagnosis?source=autocomplete&index=0∼2&search=dyspi
- Abnormal cholesterol among children and adolescents in the United States, 2011-2014 (data brief no. 228).National Center for Health Statistics, 2015
- Hyperlipidemia.Pediatr Rev. 2020; 41: 393-403https://doi.org/10.1542/pir.2019-0053
- Lipid screening in childhood and adolescence for detection of familial hypercholesterolemia: evidence report and systematic review for the US Preventive Services Task Force.JAMA. 2016; 316: 645-655https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.6176
- Lipid screening in children and adolescents [editorial].JAMA. 2016; 316: 589-591https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.9671
- Clinician responses to pediatric lipid screens suggestive of severe dyslipidemia.J Pediatr X. 2020; 4: 100037https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ympdx.2020.100037
- Cardiovascular risk reduction in high-risk pediatric patients: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2019; 139: e603-e634https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.000000000000061
- Trends in levels of lipids and apolipoprotein B in US youths aged 6 to 19 years, 1999-2016).JAMA. 2019; 321: 1895-1905https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2019.4984
- Cardiovascular morbidity, diabetes, and cancer risk among children and adolescents with severe obesity.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2020; 19: 79https://doi.org/10.1186/s12933-020-01052-1
- Treatment of metabolic syndrome in children.Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2019; 10: 702https://doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2019.00702
- Factors affecting pediatric dyslipidemia screening and treatment.Clin Pediatr. 2019; 58: 502-510https://doi.org/10.1177/0009922819832068
- Dyslipidemia in pediatric type 2 diabetes mellitus.Curr Diab Rep. 2020; 20: 53https://doi.org/10.1007/s11892-020-01336-6
- Hashimoto thyroiditis and dyslipidemia in childhood: a review.Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2019; 10: 868https://doi.org/10.3389/fendo.2019.00868
- Impact of point-of-care decision support tool on laboratory screening for comorbidities in children with obesity.Children. 2020; 7: 67https://doi.org/10.3390/children7070067
- Clinical considerations regarding the use of obesity pharmacotherapy in adolescents with obesity.Obesity. 2019; 27: 190-204https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.23385
- Cardiometabolic risks and obesity in the young.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 592-593https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMc1513890
- Lipid temporal trends in normal-weight youth.Am Heart J. 2020; 231: 68-72https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2020.10.050
- Exploring the prevalence of undiagnosed prediabetes, type 2 diabetes mellitus, and risk factors in adolescents: a systematic review.J Pediatr Nurs. 2020; 50: 94-104https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2019.09.025
- Update on pathogenesis, diagnosis, and therapy of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in children.Clin Exp Hepatol. 2019; 5: 11-21https://doi.org/10.5114/ceh.2019.83152
- Trends in incidence of type 1 and type 2 diabetes among youths-selected counties and Indian Reservations, United States, 2002-2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020; 69: 161-165
- Dyslipidemia might be associated with an increased risk of osteoarthritis.Biomed Res Int. 2020; 2020: 3105248https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/3105248
- Association of subclinical hypothyroidism with dyslipidemia and increased carotid intima-media thickness in children.J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol. 2017; 9: 144-149https://doi.org/10.4274/jcrpe.3719
- Cholesterol screening and treatment practices and preferences: a survey of United States Pediatricians.J Pediatr. 2017; 185: 99-105https://doi.org/10.1016/j.peds.2016.12.078
- Pediatric dyslipidemia screening by pediatricians and family medicine physicians: current practices and future directions.Pediatrics. 2020; 146: 636-637https://doi.org/10.1052/peds.146.1_MeetingAbstract.636
- Modifiable risk factors for cardiovascular disease in children with type 1 diabetes: can early intervention prevent future cardiovascular events?.Curr Diab Rep. 2017; 17: 134https://doi.org/10.1007/s11892-017-0968-y
- A cost analysis of universal versus targeted cholesterol screening in pediatrics.J Pediatr. 2018; 196: 201-207https://doi.org/10.1016/j.peds.2018.01.027
- Pediatric Primary Care.7th ed. Elsevier, 2021
- Hagan J.F. Shaw J.S. Duncan P.M. Bright Futures: Guidelines for Health Supervision of Infants, Children, and Adolescents. 4th ed. American Academy of Pediatrics, 2017
- Approach to hypertriglyceridemia in the pediatric population.Pediatr Rev. 2017; 38: 424-434https://doi.org/10.1542/pir.2016-0138
- American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and American College of Endocrinology guidelines for management of dyslipidemia and prevention of cardiovascular disease.Endocr Pract. 2017; 23: 1-87
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the author reports no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.