- •Nurse practitioners are uniquely prepared to provide primary care to prevent the use of vaping devices.
- •A low grade point average and Greek life were significantly related to increased vaping practices.
- •College students are generationally chill and do not judge peers’ vaping behaviors.
- Monitoring the Future National Survey Results on Drug Use, 1975-2019: Volume II, College Students and Adults Ages 19-60.Institute for Social Research, Ann Arbor, MI2020
- The use of substances other than nicotine in electronic cigarettes among college students.Subst Abuse. 2017; 11 (117822187733736. https://doi.org/10.1177.117822187733736)
- Association between initial use of e-cigarettes and subsequent cigarette smoking among adolescents and young adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Pediatr. 2017; 171: 788-797https://doi.org/10.1001/jamajpediatrics.2017.1488
- NP fact sheet.(2020. Accessed March 15, 2021)
- E-cigarette use among middle and high school students – United States, 2020.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020; 69: 1310-1312https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6937e1
- Beliefs about e-cigarettes: a focus group study with college students.Am J Health Behav. 2019; 43: 76-87https://doi.org/10.5993/AJHB.43.1.7
- What the advanced practice nurse in the emergency department needs to know about the health risks and hazards of electronic cigarette use by youth.Adv Emerg Nurs J. 2018; 40: 36-44https://doi.org/10.1097/TME.0000000000000176
- Smoke screen: the teen vaping epidemic uncovers a new concerning addiction.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2020; 32: 293-298https://doi.org/10.1097/JXX.0000000000000234
- In search of how people change: applications to addictive behaviors.Am Psychol. 1992; 47: 1102-1114https://doi.org/10.1037//0003-066x.47.9.1102
- Predictors of vaping behavior change in young adults using the transtheoretical model: a multi-country study.Tob Use Insights. 2021; 14: 1-5
- American College Health Association-National College Health Assessment II Survey. 2019.(Accessed March 15, 2021)
- Undergraduate student-faculty collaborative research: a pilot study exploring care of a family member with dementia.J Nurs Educ Pract. 2021; 11: 17-23https://doi.org/10.5430/jnep.v11n3p17
- The qualitative content analysis process.J Adv Nurs. 2007; 62: 107-115https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04569.x
- Abstraction and interpretation during the qualitative content analysis process.Int J Nurs Stud. 2020; 108: 1-6https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2020.103632
- Vaping in context: links among e-cigarette use, social status, and peer influence for college students.J Alcohol Drug Educ. 2018; 48: 36-53https://doi.org/10.1177/00472379I8807706
- Impact of electronic cigarettes on the cardiovascular system.J Am Heart Assoc. 2017; 6: 1-14https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.117.006353
- Addressing e-cigarette use and vaping on college and university campuses. 2021.(Accessed March 15, 2021)https://www.acha.org/documents/resources/guidelines/ACHA_Addressing_E-cigarette_Use_and_Vaping_on_Campuses_January2021.pdf
- The hidden gems in student health centers.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2016; 28: 178-180https://doi.org/10.1002/2327-6924.12364
- Undergraduate student reference group data report spring 2021.(Accessed August 3, 2021)https://www.acha.org/documents/ncha/NCHA-III_SPRING-2021_UNDERGRADUATE_REFERENCE_GROUP_DATA_REPORT.pdf
- Vital signs: tobacco product use among middle and high school students-United States 2011-2018.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2019; 68: 157-164
- Depression and anxiety disorders: benefits of exercise, yoga, and meditation.Am Fam Physician. 2019; 99: 620-651
- Cigarette and e-cigarette use and social perceptions over the transition to college: the role of ADHD symptoms.Psychol Addict Behav. 2019; 33: 318-330https://doi.org/10.1037/adb0000450
Funding: This project received financial support from the Kreft Endowment for the Advancement of Nursing Science and Creative Work and Research grant from Valparaiso University .
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.