- •Kawasaki disease should be considered in any child with a prolonged fever.
- •Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children have similar clinical features.
- •The etiology of Kawasaki disease is unknown but is suspected to be a virus.
- •The systemic inflammation affects all the medium-sized arteries of multiple organs.
- •Early identification and treatment can prevent coronary artery abnormalities.
- Kawasaki disease.Pediatr Rev. 2008; 29: 308-316https://doi.org/10.1542/pir.29-9-308
- Kawasaki disease: a review.J Pediatr Health Care. 2011; 25: 379-387https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedhc.2011.07.007
- Diagnosis and management of Kawasaki disease.JAMA Pediatr. 2019; 173: 278https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2018.3307
- Coronary artery complication in Kawasaki disease and the importance of early intervention: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Pediatr. 2016; 170: 1156-1163https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2016.2055
- Diagnosis, treatment, and long-term management of Kawasaki disease: a scientific statement for health professionals from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2017; 135: e927-e999https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000484
- Information for healthcare providers about multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C).May 2021
- Kawasaki Disease in Infants & Young Children. American Academy of Pediatrics. 2020.https://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/heart/Pages/Kawasaki-Disease.aspxDate accessed: May 25, 2021
- Reduction in Kawasaki disease after nonpharmaceutical interventions in the COVID-19 era: a nationwide observational study in Korea.Circulation. 2021; 143: 2508-2510https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.121.054785
- Pandemic prevention measures linked to lower rates of Kawasaki disease in children. June 7, 2021.https://newsroom.heart.org/news/pandemic-prevention-measures-linked-to-lower-rates-of-kawasaki-disease-in-children?preview=30f9
- JCS/JSCS 2020 guideline on diagnosis and management of cardiovascular sequelae in Kawasaki disease.Circulation J. 2020; 84: 1348-1407https://doi.org/10.1253/circj.cj-19-1094
- Pathogenesis and management of Kawasaki disease.Expert review of anti-infective therapy. 2010; 8: 197-203https://doi.org/10.1586/eri.09.109
- Kawasaki disease.BMJ. 2009; 338 (b1514–b1514)https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b1514
- Kawasaki disease: pathophysiology and insights from mouse models.Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2020; 16: 391-405https://doi.org/10.1038/s41584-020-0426-0
- Kawasaki disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 67: 1738-1749
- Revision of diagnostic guidelines for Kawasaki disease (6th revised edition).Pediatr Int. 2020; 62: 1135-1138https://doi.org/10.1111/ped.14326
- Controversies in diagnosis and management of Kawasaki disease.World J Clin Pediatr. 2018; 7: 27-35https://doi.org/10.5409/wjcp.v7.i1.27
- Kawasaki disease.Front Pediatr. 2018; 6https://doi.org/10.3389/fped.2018.00198
- Similarities and differences between the immunopathogenesis of COVID-19–related pediatric multisystem inflammatory syndrome and Kawasaki disease.J Clin Invest. 2021; 131e144554https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI144554
- Paediatric multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome temporally associated with sars-cov-2 mimicking Kawasaki disease (Kawa-COVID-19): a multicentre cohort.Ann Rheumat Dis. 2020; 79: 999-1006
- Distinguishing between TYPICAL Kawasaki disease and multisystem Inflammatory syndrome in children (mis-c) associated with SARS-CoV-2.Medical hypotheses. 2020; 144: 110263
- Kawasaki disease: a comprehensive review.Arch Med Sci Atheroscler Dis. 2018; 3: 41-45https://doi.org/10.5114/amsad.2018.74522
- A comprehensive update on Kawasaki disease vasculitis and myocarditis.Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2020; 22: 6
- Recommended intervals-administration of antibody and measles or varicella containing vaccine.
- Phase I/IIa trial of atorvastatin in patients with acute Kawasaki disease with coronary artery aneurysm.J Pediatr. 2019; 215: 107-117.e12https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2019.07.064
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.