- •Nurse practitioners face many challenges when transitioning from clinical practice to academia.
- •These stressors have been compounded as traditional methods of teaching have shifted to online and hybrid learning.
- •Mentorship facilitates this transition and offers much needed support and guidance.
- •The Anderson College of Nursing and Health Professions has established a multifaceted approach to mentorship that has proven to aid in the transition from clinical practice to academia.
- •Future research should focus formal evaluation of mentorship programs and outcomes data to better advise key stakeholders and academic leaders on the development of mentorship programs for novice nurse practitioner faculty.
- Fact Sheet: Nursing Faculty Shortages. Last updated: September 2020.(Accessed April 29, 2021)
- Transition from expert clinician to novice faculty: a blueprint for success.J Nurse Pract. 2017; 13: e433-e439https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2017.06.005
- Transitioning from clinician to nurse practitioner clinical faculty: a systematic review.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2020; 32: 652-659https://doi.org/10.1097/JXX.0000000000000295
- The effect of a formal mentoring program on career satisfaction and intent to stay in the faculty role for novice nurse faculty.Nurs Educ Perspect. 2017; 38: 18-22https://doi.org/10.1097/01.nep.0000000000000104
- Initiation of a mentoring program: mentoring invisible nurse faculty.Teach Learn Nurs. 2020; 15: 190-194https://doi.org/10.1016/j.teln.2020.02.001
- Position statement: Mentoring of Nurse Faculty. January 28, 2006.(Accessed April 29, 2021)http://www.nln.org/docs/default-source/advocacy-public-policy/mentoring-of-nurse-faculty.pdf?sfvrsn=0
- Special Survey on Vacant Faculty Positions for Academic Year 2020-2021.(Accessed April 29, 2021)
- Attrition of full-time faculty from schools of nursing with baccalaureate and graduate programs, 2010 to 2011.Nurs Outlook. 2014; 62: 164-173https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2013.12.002
- The Annual Report on the Economic Status of the Profession, 2019-20. May 2020.(Accessed April 29, 2021)
- Transitioning from clinical practice to nursing faculty: lessons learned.J Nurs Educ. 2010; 49: 126-131https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20091022-02
- NLN Core Competencies for Academic Nurse Educators. 2005.(Accessed April 29, 2021)http://www.nln.org/professional-development-programs/competencies-for-nursing-education/nurse-educator-core-competency
- A literature review of mentorship programs in academic nursing.J Prof Nurs. 2017; 33: 335-343https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2017.02.007
- Transformational mentorship models for nurse educators.Nurs Sci Q. 2012; 25: 279-284https://doi.org/10.1177/0894318412447565
- Exploring mentorship programs and components in nursing academia: a qualitative study.J Nurs Educ Pract. 2017; 7: 42-53https://doi.org/10.5430/jnep.v7n9p42
- Mentoring nontenured track nursing faculty: a systematic review.Nurse Educ. 2017; 42: 290-294https://doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0000000000000394
- Nurse faculty orientation.Nurse Educ. 2020; 45: 343-346https://doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0000000000000802
- Turning off the firehose and fostering community for the new professoriate: five institutional perspectives on new faculty orientation.J Faculty Dev. 2020; 34: 59-66
- Long-term follow-up of a facilitated peer mentoring program.Med Teach. 2014; 36: 260-266https://doi.org/10.3109/0142159X.2013.858111
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that may pose a conflict of interest.