- •Between 50% and 80% of patients are nonadherent to their prescribed medications.
- •Nonadherence delays control over chronic conditions and results in preventable deaths.
- •Poor outcomes can be reduced through improved patient-provider communication.
- •A single educational workshop with supportive follow-up resulted in practice change.
- •Medication adherence is part of the Affordable Care Act and Medicare/Medicaid Star Rating.
- Medication adherence: Truth and consequences.Am J Med Sci. 2016; 351: 387-399https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjms.2016.01.010
Sabate E, Kaplan S, eds. Adherence to Long-Term Therapies: Evidence for Action. World Health Organization. Published December 21, 2015. Accessed March 12, 2021. https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/42682/9241545992.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
- Interventions to improve adherence to self-administered medications for chronic diseases in the United States.Ann Intern Med. 2012; 157: 785https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-157-11-201212040-00538
- Social risk factors for medication nonadherence: findings from the CARDIA study.Am J Health Behav. 2020; 44: 232-243https://doi.org/10.5993/ajhb.44.2.10
- Predictors of medication adherence and persistence in Medicaid enrollees with developmental disabilities and type 2 diabetes.Res Social Adm Pharm. 2016; 12: 592-603https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sapharm.2015.09.008
- Factors explaining medication adherence of older adults with hypertension: a cross-sectional study.Pac Rim Intl J Nurs. 2020; 24: 306-320
- Nurse interventions to improve medication adherence among discharged older adults: a systematic review.Age Ageing. 2017; 46: 747-754https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afx076
- Raising awareness of sensory impairment among community nurses: a brief intervention in a remote island setting.Rural Remote Health. 2018; 18: 4548https://doi.org/10.22605/rrh4548
- Psychosocial determinants of adherence to oral antidiabetic medication among people with type 2 diabetes.J Clin Nurs. 2020; 29: 909-921https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.15149
- Polypill for cardiovascular disease prevention in an underserved population.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 94-95https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmc1914047
- Mobile telephone text messaging for medication adherence in chronic disease.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 340https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2015.7667
- Impact of once-or twice-daily dosing frequency on adherence to chronic cardiovascular disease medications: a meta-regression analysis.Int J Cardiol. 2016; 216: 104-109https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2016.04.082
- The New World Kirkpatrick Model.(Published 2020. Accessed March 12, 2020)
- Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning. Community Data Snapshot: West Englewood, Chicago community.(Published 2019. Accessed March 12, 2021)
- Chicago Data Portal. Englewood: City of Chicago. Published 2018.(Accessed March 10, 2020)
- Reliability and validity of a new Medication Adherence Rating Scale (MARS) for the psychoses.Schizophr Res. 2000; 42: 241-247https://doi.org/10.1016/s0920-9964(99)00130-9
- The B-SMART appropriate medication-use process: a guide for clinicians to help patients—part 1: barriers, solutions, and motivation.Perm J. 2009; 13: 62-69https://doi.org/10.7812/tpp/07-057
- Validation study of the Medication Adherence Rating Scale. Results from the FACE-SZ national dataset.Schizophr Res. 2017; 182: 84-89https://doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2016.10.023
- Medication Adherence. American Medication Association.(Published June 5, 2015. Accessed March 12, 2021)
- Factors associated with medication adherence in older patients: a systematic review.Aging Med. 2018; 1: 254-266https://doi.org/10.1002/agm2.12045
- Guide to Good Prescribing: a Practical Manual.World Health Organization (WHO), Action Programme on Essential Drugs, 1995
- Medication adherence: the lever to improve Medicare advantage star ratings. AJMC.(Published August 13, 2019. Accessed March 10, 2020)
- Measuring and Evaluating Medication Adherence. Public Workshop: Medication Adherence: Landscape, Strategies, and Evaluation Methods. Margolis Center for Health Policy. December 10, 2019.(Accessed March 17, 2021)https://healthpolicy.duke.edu/events/medication-adherence-landscape-strategies-and-evaluation-methods
Funding: Dr. Gruss' Enhancement of Geriatric Care for All-Illinois (ENGAGE-IL) programs are supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program grant #U1QHP8730-03.
Dr. Koronkowski has served as a consultant to OptumRx.
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.