- •Aortic stenosis affects more than 2% of the United States population.
- •Early identification and shared decision making of treatment options is essential to quality care.
- •Treatment for aortic stenosis includes transcatheter aortic valve replacement.
- •Nurse practitioner are key members of the patient’s health care team.
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Program Development: A Guide for the Heart Team.Wolters Kluwer, 2020
- Aortic stenosis: insights on pathogenesis and clinical implications.J Geriatr Cardiol. 2016; 13: 489-498
- Contemporary nursing care in transcatheter aortic valve replacement.J Vasc Nurs. 2018; 36: 186-188
- Epidemiology and trends of aortic stenosis mortality in the United (1999-2016).J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 73: 1972
- Transcatheter aortic-valve implantation for aortic stenosis in patients who cannot undergo surgery.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1597-1607
- Timing of intervention in aortic stenosis: a review of current and future strategies.Heart. 2018; 104: 2067-2076
- 2018 AATS/ACC/SCAI/STS Expert consensus systems of care document: operator and institutional recommendations and requirements for transcatheter aortic valve replacement. A joint report of the American Association for Thoracic Surgery, American College of Cardiology, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, and Society of Thoracic Surgeons.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 73: 340-374
- Mechanisms of aortic stenosis.J Cardiol. 2018; 71: 215-220
Mahmaljy HT, A. Young, M. Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. StatPearls. 2020. Accessed January 21, 2021. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK431075
- Overview of the 2011 Food and Drug Administration Circulatory System Devices Panel of the Medical Devices Advisory Committee Meeting on the Edwards SAPIEN transcatheter heart valve.Circulation. 2012; 125: 550-555
- STS-ACC TVT registry of transcatheter aortic valve replacement.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 76: 2492-2516
- AANP National Nurse Practitioner Database. 2020.(Accessed October 6, 2021)
- Congenital aortic valve stenosis.Children (Basel). 2019; 6: 69
- Management of valvular heart disease in adults: implications for nurse practitioner practice.J Nurse Pract. 2019; 15: 65-72
- Revision of the Jones Criteria for the diagnosis of acute rheumatic fever in the era of Doppler echocardiography: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2015; 131: 1806-1818
- Is transcatheter aortic valve replacement a safe treatment for elderly patients with severe aortic valve stenosis?.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2016; 28: 387-892
- Global, regional, and national burden of calcific aortic valve and degenerative mitral valve diseases, 1990-2017.Circulation. 2020; 141: 1670-1680
- Preoperative evaluation of aortic stenosis patient.J Nurse Pract. 2019; 15: 41-46
- Aortic valve stenosis: from basic mechanisms to novel therapeutic targets.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2020; 40: 885-900https://doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.119.313067
- Aortic stenosis and diabetes mellitus: an ominous combination.Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2019; 16: 310-323
- What type of AS does your patient have? Sorting out differences in the low-flow, low gradient severe AS patient.Cath Lab Digest. 2018; 26
- 2020 ACC/AHA guideline for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Joint Committee on clinical practice guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2021; 77: 450-500
- Congestive Heart Failure.StatPearls, 2020 (Accessed January 17, 2021)
- Physical examination in aortic valve disease: do we still need it in the modern era?.E-J Cardiol Pract. 2020; 18
Gersh BJ. Physiologic and pharmacologic maneuvers in the differential diagnosis of heart murmurs and sounds. UpToDate, 2021.
- Visible pulsus parvus et tardus in patient of aortic stenosis.BMJ Case Reports. 2017; (2017:bcr-2017-221034)
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement programs: clinical outcomes and developments.J Am Heart Assoc. 2020; 9e015921
- Transcatheter aortic-valve replacement with a balloon-expandable valve in low-risk patients.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1695-1705
- Transcatheter aortic-valve replacement with a self-expanding valve in low-risk patients.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1706-1715
- Transcatheter versus surgical aortic valve replacement: Propensity-matched comparison.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 70: 439-450https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2017.05.060
- Palliative care in end-stage valvular heart disease.Heart. 2017; 103: 1233
- Nursing leadership of the transcatheter aortic valve implantation Heart Team: supporting innovation, excellence, and sustainability.Healthc Manage Forum. 2016; 29: 126-130
- 2017 ACC expert consensus decision pathway for transcatheter aortic valve replacement in the management of adults with aortic stenosis: a report of the American College of Cardiology task force on clinical expert consensus documents.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 69: 1313-1346
- Approaches to the role of the heart team in therapeutic decision making for heart valve disease.Structural Heart. 2017; 1: 249-255
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement.Nursing. 2019; 49: 24-31
- Caring for patients after transcatheter aortic valve replacement: understanding options for patients helps you be a more effective caregiver.Am Nurse Today. 2017; 12: 10-16
- Outcomes of transcatheter aortic valve replacement using a minimalist approach.Cardiovasc Revasc Med. 2018; 19: 192-195
- Transcatheter Heart Valve Handbook: A Surgeon’s and Interventional Council Review, 2018.(Accessed February 7, 2021)https://www.acc.org/Membership/Features/TRANSCATHETER-HEART-VALVE-HANDBOOK-A-Surgeons-and-Interventional-Council-Review
- Aspirin with or without clopidogrel after transcatheter aortic-valve implantation.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 1447-1457
In compliance with standard ethical guidelines, the author has disclosed that she is a paid consultant for Edwards Lifesciences.