- •Transitions of care are especially challenging for the geriatric population, who often have multiple chronic conditions.
- •A large number of patients transitioning from skilled nursing facilities to home experience adverse events related to medications.
- •Medication reconciliation is an integral part of transitional care to help reduce adverse events.
- Hot Topics in Health Care. Transitions of Care: The need for a more effective approach to continuing patient care.(Published June 2012. Accessed December 6, 2019)
- An innovative transitional care program improves community health.J Nurs Adm. 2017; 47: 357-358https://doi.org/10.1097/nna.0000000000000493
- Improving the quality of transitional care for persons with complex care needs.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 556-557https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1532-5415.2003.51186.x
- Office of the Inspector General. Skilled Nursing Facilities Often Fail to Meet Care Planning and Discharge Planning Requirements.(Published February 27, 2013. Accessed November 11, 2019)
- Restarting the cycle: incidence and predictors of first acute care use after nursing home discharge.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014; 62: 79-85
- The incidence and severity of adverse events affecting patients after discharge from the hospital.Ann Intern Med. 2003; 138: 161-167
- To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System.National Academy Press, Washington, DC2000
- Transitional care in skilled nursing facilities: a multiple case study.BMC Health Serv Res. 2016; 16: 186https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-016-1427-1
- Report to the Congress. Medicare Payment Policy.(Published March 2017. Accessed November 11, 2019)
- Report to the Congress. Medicare and the Health Care Delivery System.(Published June 2013. Accessed November 11, 2019)
- Polypharmacy in nursing home residents in the United States: results of the 2004 National Nursing Home Survey.Am J Geriatr Pharmacother. 2010; 8: 63-72https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjopharm.2010.01.00
- Medication management skills in older skilled nursing facility residents transitioning home.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015; 63: 1266-1268https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.13469
- Clinical outcomes of a home-based medication reconciliation program after discharge from a skilled nursing facility.Pharmacotherapy. 2008; 28: 444-452https://doi.org/10.1592/phco.28.4.444
- American Medical Directors Association White Paper Resolution C09: Improving Care Transitions from the Nursing Facility to a Community-Based Setting.(Published March 2009. Accessed November 11, 2019)
- Transitional care of older adults hospitalized with heart failure: a randomized controlled trial.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 675-684
- Posthospital care transitions: patterns, complications, and risk identification.Health Serv Res. 2004; 39: 1449-1466https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2004.00298.x
- Cost-effectiveness of a care transitions program in a multimorbid older adult cohort.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2018; 66: 297-301
- 30-day hospital readmission of older adults using care transitions after hospitalization: a pilot prospective cohort study.Clin Interv Aging. 2013; 8: 729-736https://doi.org/10.2147/cia.s44390
- Short-term and long-term effectiveness of post-hospital care transitions program in an older, medically complex population.Healthcare. 2016; 4: 30-35
- Care transitions program for high-risk frail older adults is most beneficial for patients with cognitive impairment.J Hosp Med. 2019; 14: 329-335https://doi.org/10.12788/jhm.3112
- Improving value of care for older adults with advanced medical illness and functional decline: cost analyses of a home-based palliative care program.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2018; 56: 928-935https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2018.08.015
- AHRQ Health Literacy Universal Precautions Toolkit.(Last reviewed July 2019. Accessed November 11, 2019)
- Transitional care of older adults in skilled nursing facilities: a systematic review.Geriatr Nurs. 2016; 37: 296-301https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2016.04.012
- Risk of 30-day hospital readmission among patients discharged to skilled nursing facilities: development and validation of a risk-prediction model.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2019; : 444-450.e2https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2019.01.137
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.