- •Medication-assisted treatment with buprenorphine is an effective and safe treatment for opioid use disorder.
- •A major barrier to opioid use disorder treatment in the United States is access.
- •Many states currently restrict nurse practitioners from prescribing buprenorphine for opioid use disorder.
- •Access to opioid dependence treatment would be improved by lifting state limitations on buprenorphine prescribing privileges of nurse practitioners.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The Journal for Nurse Practitioners
About the U.S. Opioid epidemic. 2018. https://www.hhs.gov/opioids/about-the-epidemic/index.html. Accessed April 17, 2018.
- Increases in drug and opioid-involved overdose deaths—United States, 2010–2015.MMWR Morbid Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 1445-1452
Schiller EY, Mechanic OJ. Opioid, overdose. StatPearls. Treasure Island, FL: StatPearls Publishing; 2018.
- Drug policy and the public good: evidence for effective interventions.Lancet. 2012; 379: 71-83
- Addressing the opioid epidemic with multimodal pain management.Am J Orthoped. 2016; 45: S6-S8
- America’s opioid epidemic: a comprehensive review and look into the rising crisis.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2018; 22: 32
- Medication-assisted treatment of opioid use disorder: review of the evidence and future directions.Harvard Rev Psychiatry. 2015; 23: 63-75
- Medication-assisted treatment with buprenorphine: assessing the evidence.Psychiatr Serv. 2014; 65: 158-170
- Medication-assisted treatment with methadone: assessing the evidence.Psychiatr Serv. 2014; 65: 146-157
- Retention in methadone and buprenorphine treatment among African Americans.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2013; 45: 287-292
- Buprenorphine versus methadone for opioid dependence in pregnancy.Ann Pharmacother. 2016; 50: 666-672
- Neonatal neurobehavior effects following buprenorphine versus methadone exposure.Addiction. 2012; 107: 63-73
- Trends in methadone distribution for pain treatment, methadone diversion, and overdose deaths—United States, 2002–2014.MMWR Morbid Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 667-671
- Factors contributing to the rise of buprenorphine misuse: 2008–2013.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014; 142: 98-104
- Buprenorphine and buprenorphine/naloxone diversion, misuse, and illicit use: an international review.Curr Drug Abuse Rev. 2011; 4: 28-41
- Underutilization of primary care providers in treating opiate addiction.J Nurse Pract. 2013; 9: 516-522
- Opioid substitution therapy: lowering the treatment thresholds.Drug and Alcohol Depend. 2016; 161: 1-8
- Patient perspective on choosing buprenorphine over methadone in an urban, equal-access system.Am J Addict. 2013; 22: 285-291
- A comparison of attitudes toward opioid agonist treatment among short-term buprenorphine patients.Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2012; 38: 233-238
- Primary care management of opioid use disorders: aqbstinence, methadone, or buprenorphine-naloxone?.Can Fam Physician. 2017; 63: 200-205
- Nurse practitioners’ inability to prescribe buprenorphine: limitations of the Drug Addiction Treatment Act of 2000.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2011; 23: 542-545
- Rethinking the primary care workforce—an expanded role for nurses.New Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1015-1017
- Medication-assisted opioid treatment prescribers in federally qualified health centers: capacity lags in rural areas.J Rural Health. 2018; 34: 14-22
- Pain and opioids: call for policy action.J Nurse Pract. 2018; 14: 40-44
American Association of Nurse Practitioners. State policy maps 2018. Updated April 26, 2018. https://www.aanp.org/legislation-regulation/state-policy-toolkit-state-policy-maps. Accessed June 6, 2018.
- Assessment of the trends in medical use and misuse of opioid analgesics from 2004 to 2011.Pain Physician. 2014; 17: E119-E128
- Observed transition from opioid analgesic deaths toward heroin.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014; 145: 238-241
- The prescription opioid and heroin crisis: a public health approach to an epidemic of addiction.Ann Rev Pub Health. 2015; 36: 559-574
- Nonmedical opioid use and heroin use in a nationally representative sample of us high school seniors.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016; 158: 132-138
- Barriers to primary care physicians prescribing buprenorphine.Ann Fam Med. 2014; 12: 128-133
- Pharmacotherapy of opioid addiction: “putting a real face on a false demon.”.J Med Toxicol. 2016; 12: 58-63
- Reducing stigma through education to enhance medication-assisted recovery.J Addict Dis. 2012; 31: 226-235
- Why aren’t physicians prescribing more buprenorphine?.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2017; 78: 1-7
- Barriers rural physicians face prescribing buprenorphine for opioid use disorder.Ann Fam Med. 2017; 15: 359-362
- Not near enough: Racial and ethnic disparities in access to nearby behavioral health care and primary care.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2015; 26: 1032-1047
- Family medicine graduate proximity to their site of training: policy options for improving the distribution of primary care access.Fam Med. 2015; 47: 124-130
- Getting doctors into the bush: general practitioners’ preferences for rural location.Soc Sci Med. 2013; 96: 33-44
- Geographic and specialty distribution of US physicians trained to treat opioid use disorder.Ann Fam Med. 2015; 13: 23-26
- A population-based examination of trends and disparities in medication treatment for opioid use disorders among medicaid enrollees.Subst Abuse. 2018; ([epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1080/08897077.2018.1449166
- A scoping review of interdisciplinary collaboration in addictions education and training.J Addict Nurs. 2013; 24 (quiz 7-8): 29-36
- Updates on the quest for full practice authority.J Nurse Pract. 2018; 14: 559-565
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.