- •Eating disinhibition is associated with weight gain and poor weight maintenance.
- •The taste receptor type 2 member 38 gene is associated with increased eating disinhibition.
- •The atypical eating disinhibition genotype was more frequent in obese patients.
- •Earlier genetic genotype screening may help assess risk for obesity.
- •Earlier obesity intervention promotes optimal health outcomes.
- Genetic screening.Epidemiol Rev. 2011; 33: 148-164
- Meta-analysis of BRCA1 and BRCA2 penetrance.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 1329-1333
- Genetic testing and counseling in the diagnosis and management of young-onset dementias.Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2015; 38: 295-308
- Genetic counseling for diabetes mellitus.Curr Genet Med Rep. 2014; 2: 56-67
- Human obesity: a heritable neurobehavioral disorder that is highly sensitive to environmental conditions.Diabetes. 2008; 57: 2905-2910
- Genetics and epigenetics of obesity.Maturitas. 2011; 69: 41-49
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Adult obesity causes and consequences. https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/adult/causes.html. 2017. Accessed October 26, 2017.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The health effects of overweight and obesity 2015. https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/effects/index.html. Accessed March 11, 2017.
- Treating obesity seriously: when recommendations for lifestyle change confront biological adaptations.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2015; 3: 232-234
- Who is behind the stocking of energy-dense foods and beverages in small stores? The importance of food and beverage distributors.Public Health Nutr. 2017; 18: 1-10
- Weight gain in mid-childhood and its relationship with the fast food environment.J Public Health (Oxf). 2017 Sep 10; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Behavioral and psychological phenotyping of physical activity and sedentary behavior: implications for weight management.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2017; 25: 1653-1659
- The relationship between cell phone use, physical and sedentary activity, and cardiorespiratory fitness in a sample of U.S. college students.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2013; 10: 79
- Implementation of a lifestyle program in primary care by nurse practitioners.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2010; 22: 684-693
- Physical activity counseling intervention to promote weight loss in overweight rural women.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2013; 25: 385-394
- Changes in lifestyle habits after counselling by nurse practitioners: 1-year results of the Groningen Overweight and Lifestyle study.Public Health Nutr. 2011; 14: 995-1000
- Genetic variant in the glucose transporter type 2 is associated with higher intakes of sugars in two distinct populations.Physiol Genomics. 2008; 33: 355-360
- Food reinforcement, the dopamine D2 receptor genotype, and energy intake in obese and nonobese humans.Behav Neurosci. 2007; 121: 877-886
- Common genetic variations in CCK, leptin, and leptin receptor genes are associated with specific human eating patterns.Diabetes. 2007; 56: 276-280
- Neuromedin beta: a strong candidate gene linking eating behaviors and susceptibility to obesity.Am J Clin Nutr. 2004; 80: 1478-1486
- Aspects of eating behaviors “disinhibition” and “restraint” are related to weight gain and BMI in women.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008; 16: 52-58
- Dietary intake in relation to restrained eating, disinhibition, and hunger in obese and nonobese Swedish women.Obes Res. 1997; 5: 175-182
- Who succeeds in maintaining weight loss? A conceptual review of factors associated with weight loss maintenance and weight regain.Obes Rev. 2005; 6: 67-85
- Variation in the gene TAS2R38 is associated with the eating behavior disinhibition in Old Order Amish women.Appetite. 2010; 54: 93-99
- Nutritional epigenomics: a portal to disease prevention.Adv Nutr. 2013; 4: 530-532
- Epigenetics in adipose tissue, obesity, weight loss, and diabetes.Adv Nutr. 2014; 5: 71-81
- A systematic review of the factors associated with interest in predictive genetic testing for obesity, type II diabetes and heart disease.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2014; 27: 479-488
- A consultation with genetic information about obesity decreases self-blame about eating and leads to realistic weight loss goals in obese individuals.J Psychosom Res. 2009; 66: 287-295
- Association of body mass with dietary restraint and disinhibition.Appetite. 1995; 25: 31-41
- Get moving! Physical activity counseling in primary care.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2007; 19: 349-357
US Preventative Services Task Force. Obesity in adults: screening and management 2012. https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/UpdateSummaryFinal/obesity-in-adults-screening-and-management. Accessed April 22, 2017.
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationship with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.