- •Electronic cigarette (e-cigarette) devices explode, causing serious burns.
- •A case series of patients injured by e-cigarette devices is provided.
- •Numerous additional health threats are being attributed to e-cigarette use.
- •Nurse practitioners must educate patients regarding e-cigarette hazards; the Health Belief Model provides a template for this important discussion.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Chemical composition of aerosol from an e-cigarette: a quantitative comparison with cigarette smoke.Chem Res Toxicol. 2016; 29: 1662-1678
- National and state trends in sales of cigarettes and e-cigarettes, U.S., 2011-2015.Am J Prev Med. 2017; 53: 96-101
- Electronic cigarettes: miracle or menace?.BMJ. 2010; 340: c311https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.c311
- Regulations and policies regarding e-cigarettes.Cancer. 2017;http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/cncr.30725
- Are e-cigarettes a safe and good alternative to cigarette smoking?.Ann NY Acad Sci. 2014; 1340: 65-74https://doi.org/10.111/nyas.12609
- The efficacy and short-term effects of electronic cigarettes as a method of smoking cessation: a systematic review and a meta-analysis.Int J Public Health. 2016; 61: 257-267https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-016-0768-z
- E-cigarettes and expectancies: why do some users keep smoking?.Addiction. 2015; 110: 1833-1843
- The unrecognized epidemic of electronic cigarette burns.J Burn Care Res. 2016; 38: 220-224https://doi.org/10.1097/BCR.0000000000000472
- Metal and silicate particles including nanoparticles are present in electronic cigarette cartomizer fluid and aerosol.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e57987https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0057987
- On the origins of the electronic cigarette: British American tobacco’s Project Ariel (1962-1967).Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 1060-1067https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2017.303806
- The perceived effects of electronic cigarettes on health by adult users: a state of the science systematic literature review.J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2016; 28: 510-515
- Potential health benefits of electronic cigarettes: a systematic review of case reports.Prevent Med. 2016; 4: 169-178https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmedr.2016.06.002
- E-cigarettes: a practical, evidenced-based guide for advanced practice nurses.J Nurse Pract. 2017; 13: 449-455https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2017.03.015
- Electronic cigarette use among working adults—United States, 2014.MMWR Morbid Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 65: 557-561
- Cardiovascular toxicity of nicotine: implications for electronic cigarette use.Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2016; 26: 515-523
- Emerging data show e-cigarettes may pose heart risk.Circulation. 2017; 136: 232-233
US Department of Health and Human Services. New CDC study finds dramatic increase in e-cigarette-related calls to poison centers. Updated April 13, 2014. www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/p0403-e-cigarette-poison.html/. Accessed October 12, 2016.
- Electronic cigarettes in the media.Proc Baylor Univ Med Ctr. 2016; 29: 280-283
- Electronic cigarette use among high school students and its association with cigarette use and smoking cessation, North Carolina youth tobacco surveys, 2011 and 2013.Prev Chron Dis. 2016; 13: e103
- Rare case of accidental fire and burns caused by e-cigarette batteries.BMJ Case Rep. March 9, 2016; https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2015-212868
- Thigh burns from exploding e-cigarette lithium ion batteries: first case series.Burns. 2016; 42: e42-e46
- E-cigarettes—beware of the rocket in your pocket.BMJ. 2016; 353: i2712
- Corneoscleral laceration and ocular burns caused by electronic cigarette explosions.Cornea. 2016; 35: 1015-1018
- Deep burns caused by electronic vaping devices explosion. Letter to the Editor.Burns. 2016; 42: 1875-1877
- E-cigarette use in patients receiving home oxygen therapy.Can Respir J. 2015; 22: 83-85
- Oral trauma and tooth avulsion following explosion of e-cigarette.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 74: 1181-1185
- A systematic review of the health risks from passive exposure to electronic cigarette vapour.Public Health Res Pract. 2016; 26: e2621617
- Evidence-based treatments for smoking cessation.Nurse Pract. 2012; 37: 24-31
- Evaluating the effectiveness of health belief model interventions in improving adherence: a systematic review.Health Psychol Rev. 2013; 8: 253-269
- Electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation.Am J Med Sci. 2016; 352: 420-426
- Perceptions toward electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation among Stop Smoking Service users.Br J Health Psychol. 2016; 21: 421-433
- Improving health promotion and disease prevention in NP-delivered primary care.J Nurse Pract. 2014; 10: 221-228
- Evaluation of three osteoporosis programs for young women: application of the health belief model.Am J Health Ed. 2016; 47: 224-233
- Factors that influence young people’s mental-health help-seeking behavior: a study based on the Health Belief Model.J Adv Nurs. 2014; 70: 2577-2587
- Smoking cessation: promoting the health of older people who smoke.Br J Commun Nurs. 2012; 17: 606-611
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.