- •Assessment is the foundation of health care.
- •A detailed review of systems is an essential element in each patient encounter.
- •A review of systems is crucial in gaining optimal understanding of a patient.
- •New problems can be discovered during a detailed review of systems.
- The relevance of occupational medicine to primary care in the 21st century.J Natl Med Assoc. 2011; 103: 306-312
- What are we talking about when we talk about population health?.Health Affairs Blog. 2015; (Accessed June 26, 2017)http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2015/04/06/what-are-we-talking-about-when-we-talk-about-population-health/
US Centers for Disease Control Foundation. What is public health? 2017. http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2015/04/06/what-are-we-talking-about-when-we-talk-about-population-health/ Accessed June 27, 2017.
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Updated guidelines for evaluating public health surveillance systems. 2001. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5013af.htm/. Accessed June 28, 2017.
- History taking, assessment and documentation for paramedics.J Paramed Pract. 2013; 5: 310-316
- Taking a patient history.Ophthalmol Times. 2013; : 8-12
- Dizziness, vertigo, and presyncope: what’s the difference?.Nurse Practitioner. 2012; 37: 46-52
- Subjective experience and medical practice.J Med Philos. 2012; 37: 91-95https://doi.org/10.1093/jmp/jhs013
Office of Environment, Health, Safety & Security. 2016 Former Workers Annual Report, p 1. https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2017/06/f34/2016-FWP-Annual-Report.pdf. Accessed June 20, 2017.
Office of Environment, Health, Safety & Security. 2016. https://safetyfesttn.org/blog/clients/u-sdepartment-of-energy-office-of-environment-health-safety-security/. Accessed September 7, 2016.
National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1993, Public Law 102-484, October 23, 1992.
- The primary care practitioner and the diagnosis of occupational diseases.BMC Public Health. 2010; 10: 405
- Taking a patient history: the role of the nurse.Nursing Stand. 2012; 26: 41-46
- Prevalence of work-related asthma in primary health care: study rational and design.Open Respir Med J. 2015; 9: 127-139
- Occupational asthma case finding: a role for primary care.Br J Gen Pract. 2004; 54: 731-733
US Department of Human Services. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Evaluation and management services. 2016. https://www.coursehero.com/file/16626992/eval-mgmt-serv-guide-ICN006764/. Accessed June 26, 2017.
Goldsmith H. Review of systems, PM’s Newsletter Series. September 2013. http://podiatrym.com/pdf/2014/12/Goldsmith1114weyR.pdf/. Accessed June 26, 2017.
National Electronic Health Records Survey. 2015 state and national electronic health record adoption summary tables. 2015. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ahcd/nehrs/2015_nehrs_web_table.pdf /. Accessed June 26, 2017.
- The “meaningful use” regulation for electronic health records.New Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 501-504
- Electronic health records and US public health: current realities and future promise.Am J Publ Health. 2013; 103: 1560-1567
- Electronic health records: patient care and ethical and legal implications for nurse practitioners.J Nurse Pract. 2017; 13: 105-111
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Case studies in environmental medicine taking an exposure history. 2015. https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/csem.html/. Accessed July 5, 2017.
American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) members may receive 1.0 continuing education contact hours, approved by AANP, by reading this article and completing the online posttest and evaluation at aanp.inreachce.com.
This work is based on the Pantex Former Worker Medical Surveillance Program (contract grant sponsor: United States Department of Energy; contract grant number: DE-FC01-06EH06003).
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.