- •Urinary incontinence (UI) is prevalent and burdensome, primarily impacting women.
- •UI is undertreated due to lack of regular leakage screening by clinicians.
- •Targeted history and physical exam skills can lead to accurate UI diagnoses.
- •Nonpharm first-line interventions are effective at improving UI and quality of life.
- •Clinicians should screen for and offer first-line treatment for women with leakage.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The iceberg of health care utilization in women with urinary incontinence.Int Urogynecol J. 2012; 23: 1087-1093
- Changing our view of older people’s continence care.Nurs Times. 2016; 112: 12-14
- Economic burden of urgency urinary incontinence in the United States: a systematic review.J Manag Care Specialty Pharm. 2014; 20: 130-140
- Urinary incontinence, depression and economic outcomes in a cohort of women between ages of 54 and 65 years.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 822-827
- Urinary incontinence and loneliness in Canadian seniors.Health Rep. 2013; 24: 3-10
- The association between urinary and fecal incontinence and social isolation in older women.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 208: 146e1-146e7
- The prevalence of urinary incontinence and its burden on the quality of life among older adults with Medicare supplement insurance.Quality Life Res. 2011; 20: 723-732
- Severity of urinary incontinence and effect on quality of life in women by incontinence type.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 121: 1083-1090
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Urinary incontinence in women. July 2016. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/urologic-disease/urinary-incontinence-women/Pages/facts.aspx/. Accessed June 4, 2017.
Bai X, Leung DY, Lai CK, Chong AM, Chi I. Mediating effect of decline in social activities on urinary incontinence and negative mood: do sex and marital differences exist? Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2017. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111.ggi.12976.
- Urinary incontinence, work, and intention to leave current job: a cross sectional survey of the Australian nursing and midwifery workforce.Neurourol Urodyn. 2017; 36 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/nau.23202): 1876-1883
- Urinary incontinence and mortality among older adults residing in nursing care homes.J Adv Nurs. 2017; 73: 688-699https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.13170
- Urinary incontinence as a marker of higher mortality in patients receiving home care services.BJU Int. 2014; 113: 113-119https://doi.org/10.1111/bju.12359
- Bridging the gap: determinants of undiagnosed or untreated urinary incontinence in women.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 266e1-266e9
Shamilyan T, Wyman J, Kane RL. Nonsurgical treatments for urinary incontinence in adult women: Diagnosis and comparative effectiveness. Comparative Effectiveness Review No. 36. AHRQ Publication No. 11(12)-EHC074-EF. 2012. http://www.effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/ehc/products/169/834/urinary-incontinence-treatment-report-130909.pdf/. Accessed June 4, 2017.
- Effect of nurse practitioner comanagement on the care of geriatric conditions.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013; 61: 857-867
- ICIQ: a brief and robust measure for evaluating the symptoms and impact of urinary incontinence.Neurourol Urodyn. 2004; 23: 322-330
- The sensitivity and specificity of a simple test to distinguish between urge and stress urinary incontinence.Ann Intern Med. 2006; 144: 715-723
- An evaluative review of questionnaires recommended for the assessment of quality of life and symptom severity in women with urinary incontinence.J Clin Nurs. 2014; 23: 2998-3011https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12503
- Urinary incontinence in women.BMJ. 2014; 349: 4531https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.g4531
- Diagnosis of urinary incontinence.Am Fam Phys. 2013; 87: 543-550
- Nonsurgical treatment of urinary incontinence in elderly women.Clin Geriatr Med. 2015; 31: 471-485https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cger.2015.07.003
Shernot PJ. Urinary incontinence in adults. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/genitourinary-disorders/voiding-disorders/urinary-incontinence-in-adults/. Accessed September 4, 2017.
- Developing and validating the International Consultation on Incontinence Questionnaire bladder diary.Eur Urol. 2014; 66: 294-300https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2014.02.05725
Lucas MG, Bedretdinova D, Bosch JLHR, et al. Guidelines on urinary incontinence. European Association of Urology 2014 Update. 2014. http://uroweb.org/wp-content/uploads/20-Urinary-Incontinence_LR.pdf/. Accessed June 4, 2017.
- Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2001
- Nonsurgical management of urinary incontinence in women: A clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 161: 429-440
- Clinical management of urinary incontinence in women.Am Fam Phys. 2013; 87: 634-640
- Newman D.K. Wyman J.F. Welch V.W. Guide to Urologic Medications: A Supplement to the SUNA Core Curriculum for Urologic Nursing. Society of Urological Nurses and Associates, Pitman, NJ2016
- Adherence to behavioral interventions for stress incontinence: rates, barriers, and predictors.Phys Ther. 2013; 93: 757-773
In compliance with national ethical guidelines, the authors report no relationships with business or industry that would pose a conflict of interest.